LINE-X I've got it and gotta get it off! Ideas guys? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My truck was sprayed inside and out from the cowl/doors all the way back.

Problem... the rust underneath was never fixed and I'm going to start body work in march and april.

Wire cup brush and time is about the only thing I think that will work.

I've used Eastwood undercoating spray on 30year old VW undercoating with on moderate success. But the line-x stuff looks pretty tough.

NEED IDEAS!!! Thanks a million

F-junker said:
My truck was sprayed inside and out from the cowl/doors all the way back.

Problem... the rust underneath was never fixed and I'm going to start body work in march and april.

Wire cup brush and time is about the only thing I think that will work.

I've used Eastwood undercoating spray on 30year old VW undercoating with on moderate success. But the line-x stuff looks pretty tough.

NEED IDEAS!!! Thanks a million

Try lifting a corner with a putty knife then grabing the corner with plyers and pulling it off like a band-aid. It should stick together better than its stuck to the truck.

I accidently dumped a pint of brake fluid on my herculined interior. It peeled up like I put stripper on it. I would uess the line-x is tougher, but it is worth a try.

blue-tipped wrench?

punt?

Seriously, pulling it in a big piece is probably your best option. Let's hope they didn't do much surface prep. I don't envy you.

Line-X Removal

Line-X is has actually been my choice because of the material and longevity. This and Herculiner are not even in the same league seeing Herculner is applied at ambient temperature and it is very tough.

You might want to contact Line-X and see what they say. I do know that the material is applied at about 140 degress and dries very quickly. So in that respect it's pretty much a vulnized material. You migt try using a heat gun or heat small areas up with a torch. You may then be able to get under it and slowly peel it upw with a putty knife.

Robert

You might want to try using a needle scaler if the putty knife doesn't work. Never used it for Line-X, but I heard it's really good at taking off undercoating. It all depends on how well it was prepped before applying.

I know that LINE-X does not like gas soaking on it....

Lifted a whole section under the leaking fuel tank on a truck in the shop a couple year back now...

Harsh chemicals and heavy solvents will be your friend here...and time to let them work....

Good luck!

-Steve

Good luck!! Had a buddy trying to do the same thing. After about 2 months he just gave up and bought a Aluminum tub. That stuff is SUPER STRONG.

Just thinking out loud, but is it possible to "spot" repair the bad spots, cut out the rusted area with the Linex on it, weld in new metal and then recoat said area?

Just thinking that scraping off a material specifically designed not to be scraped off is going to stink.

Just my .02

Rezarf <><

oh yeah! It's going to stink!!!

We'll see how she goes. torch solvent and chisel in hand. If it's a bomb. new aqualo ub poss Panama steel?

I'f I do that it will be a trailer queen and never get hammered on the trail!!!

heat gun?

Urethane reducer or lacquer thinner may soften the material (I believe that line-x is a urethane product). Use a respirator, gloves, and safety goggles.

Good luck...

How about asking a lineX installer how to remove it. They would have to know.

Industrial Pressure washer good sir. Thats what ClemsonCruiser used to take multiple coats of durabak off. once it gets under the edge a little the water forces its way under the liner material. Im talking like a 10 or 15hp washer.

As clemson55 indicates, you need to get under the stuff. I don't envy you with Line-X as it's possibly the best adhering one of that type of product because of the hot apply.
The suggestion of brake fluid may be the way if you can find a way to inject it under the line-x.

I think I'd try to get a few small openings going at the same time and try to peel it in as large hunks as possible.

A lot depends on how well prepped it was and if you're lucky the line-x guy might have only done a half-assed job. Those installers vary a lot in the quality of their work and there's gotta' be some that figure what their customer can't see won't hurt them.

Good Luck! And definitely post back about results.

Sounds like it would do damage to the steel , but I have used an air hammer with a wide thin blade and it rips it of the flat areas. Be smart about it and carefull and it will come off. Then send it to a media blaster and then will walnut shell the rest off.

Shane

It's off!!!

Rather it's coming off.

I peeled several large pieces off and completely removed it from the outside of the body.

Now the tuff part getting it off the inside and under the tub.

Thanks Guys for all of your help and input. I think the prep work down was the main reason it came off easily. A randon ordbit sander was used and the finish dulled up a bit.

Thank god for piss poor prep work!!!!

So what worked the best? My P.O. decided it would be best to bedline, instead of paint, both the inside and outside of my rig. Its peeled up in a few places but I would hate to have to try to strip the whole rig.

I just picked a corner with a pocket knofe and started pulling. Some peices were 1-2" several 10-15".

Once I got a peice lifted I would score the coating with a knife and that way I would have two or more sections I could yank on.

Be patient good luck

Yoda said:
How about asking a lineX installer how to remove it. They would have to know.

And on that note, I noticed the Line-x truck at work today. Found the guy and asked him. He said to take it back to the place that put the line-x on, it should be warrantied for life.

Now that you have done the hard part and got it off, nice to have the easy answer eh!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom