Lincoln Pro-Mig 175 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

BlueCruiser84

SILVER Star
Threads
I only buy Lincoln. Why? Because thats what my local welding supply store carries. Buy what you can afford and can get parts for locally. I dont think one is better than the other when comparing similar welders. I do all of my welding with an SP175+ and I love my Pro-Cut 55 plasma cutter.

Thanks for the input guys, i appreciate it. I think that is what i will be going with.

-Brian-

They, like the Hobarts, tend to run around $650.

Miller has the infinite voltage control, whereas the lincoln and hobart's I've used have 4 presets. This is why I am buying a miller

whereas the lincoln and hobart's I've used have 4 presets.

I bought the Miller, but the Lincoln does make 2 models of the 175- one is a mass market version you can buy at Home Despot w/ 4 voltage settings. The other is sold thru welding supply stores and has infinite control. Think they are called pro 175 and pro 175 plus.

CruisinGA said:

Miller has the infinite voltage control, whereas the lincoln and hobart's I've used have 4 presets. This is why I am buying a miller

You may want to look into Millers special " infinite voltage control wire feed speed tracking" Or not....

My mig machine's have two fundamental controls 1) voltage 2) Wire feed speed, I do my own adjustments so Miller thanks, but no thanks .

i thought the infinite voltage was going to be an issue, but i went with the step-voltage one (about $100 cheaper) and so far it hasn't been a factor.
i've done everything from 14ga up to 3/8". i have some 22ga i will be working with in the near future, but haven't tried it yet. i think it will still get the job done.

CruisinGA said:

Planet_X said:
You may want to look into Millers special " infinite voltage control wire feed speed tracking" Or not....

My mig machine's have two fundamental controls 1) voltage 2) Wire feed speed, I do my own adjustments so Miller thanks, but no thanks .

Not sure what you're getting at, the miller has two seperate controls for wire speed and voltage... :confused:

rusmannx said:
i thought the infinite voltage was going to be an issue, but i went with the step-voltage one (about $100 cheaper) and so far it hasn't been a factor.
i've done everything from 14ga up to 3/8". i have some 22ga i will be working with in the near future, but haven't tried it yet. i think it will still get the job done.
I second this thought. My old school MillerMatic 35 has 6 taps and a wire speed control. Between the two I can weld anything I need. For most folks the limits are not the welding machine but the individual holding the gun... Having infinite choices sometimes isn't a good thing IMHO. :D

HTH,
Nick

CruisinGA said:
Not sure what you're getting at, the miller has two seperate controls for wire speed and voltage... :confused:[/QUOTE

The Lincoln 175+ and Miller 175, both have infinite voltage controls (rheostat control knob).

The Miller will change the wire speed ,on you, for you, during welding this is "infinite voltage/wire-feed tracking control feature"

The Lincoln will output whatever wire speed is set on the machine, nothing more nothing less.

IMO Miller's packaging shell/drive mechanism/color combo, in the 175 class are tit's, but I always trip over this 'wire feed tracking control feature'. But people will grow to like what they know, it is just something to consider, people should use their own judgment based on their own values when purchasing big ticket items , curing buyers remorse syn-drone.

There are a bazillion threads debating this here is one http://www.hobartwelders.com/mboard/showthread.php?t=13142&highlight=Miller+175

Last edited:
FWIW - I'd rather have a higher amp rated machine with fewer power taps than the most high-tech 175 amp machine of any brand on the market. You can always go down in metal guage but you can't go up.

I'm planning on picking up a Miller 251 for our shop before the endo of the year - my reasoning is that it is rated at 200 amps for a 60% duty cycle vs the 210 rated at 160 amps/60% duty cycle.

My advice, spend the same money on an older, bigger, used machine - good luck

haystax said:
FWIW - I'd rather have a higher amp rated machine with fewer power taps than the most high-tech 175 amp machine of any brand on the market. You can always go down in metal guage but you can't go up.

I'm planning on picking up a Miller 251 for our shop before the endo of the year - my reasoning is that it is rated at 200 amps for a 60% duty cycle vs the 210 rated at 160 amps/60% duty cycle.

My advice, spend the same money on an older, bigger, used machine - good luck

Hey if you ever-come into civilization say reno/carson/fallon drop me a-line, I've got a 300a @ 60% Hobart w/Miller feeder gathering dust...you might want to take a look at

Planet_X said:
Hey if you ever-come into civilization say reno/carson/fallon drop me a-line, I've got a 300a @ 60% Hobart w/Miller feeder gathering dust...you might want to take a look at

Civilization...not sure how many people actually consider those areas "civilized"

I might do that, given the advice I just gave this other guy. Where are you at in the civilized territory?

haystax said:
Civilization...not sure how many people actually consider those areas "civilized"

I might do that, given the advice I just gave this other guy. Where are you at in the civilized territory?

Dayton.

I could use a smaller machine like a SP175 plus to round out my welder options, but the landcruiser is getting some parts, and nice to have tools are on the backburner.

And the sale of the old Hobart is just something that has crossed my mind (trying to clean/organize shop for the Landcruiser's winter refurb,and right now its just one more thing taking up space).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom