Lincoln Lock Questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
i want a locker, can you blame me? i want to do the most kick ass trails there are, but i cant afford to. so he goes my question.
i herd that b/c i have locking hubs that when disconteced they do not attach to the carrier. i.e. if i lock it then i will have NO affects when on the road with it unlocked, but a locker when the hubs are locked. is this true?
is doing a lincoln lock a good idea? i have heard good and bad about it.
last is what parts do i weld. do i weld it all together like a block of metal, do i weld just where the gears meet? what do i do?

thanks for the input.

lincoln lock in the rear, love mine

lincoln lock in the front, BAD BAD idea...poor steering, and you'll bust birfields 3-4 times per trip out.

so i'm assuming that it is not true about the axel shafts being disconnedted? and breaking birfields is that w/ any locker up front?

The consensus is that welding the side gears to the spider gears works best and welding on the carrier is counter productive. Weld all 4 places where the teeth contact, then remove the center pin and flip the assemby over and weld the other 4 points where the teeth engage. It is easier if you MIG weld it with solid wire and shielding gas so that you don't have to chip the slag.

Just make sure you dont want to drive it on the street I did it and it really sucks going thru the drive thru at burger king :dunno:

so i'm assuming that it is not true about the axel shafts being disconnedted? and breaking birfields is that w/ any locker up front?

unlock the hubs and leave it in 2WD and you'll never know the front was welded.

Offroad, it's a poor idea. Even a full locker offers an opportunity for the tires to rotate at different speeds when off the throttle...my EZ-Lock almost appears to "ratchet" when I'm wedged...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom