LIGHTS TOO DIM in my '79 FJ40 Instrument Cluster (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
What is the secret to getting the lights brighter in my 79 FJ40 Instrument Cluster (Brightness rheostat works fine and is already turned full bright)? I was told there is a Technical Link about modifying the Instrument Cluster to accomplish this, but I can't seem to find it. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

I am sure there is, I do not know............Call and ask them??

Or call Toyota and ask part number and cross.

PIAA Super whites are what I bought.

This info came off the Landcruiser Mailing list at Birfield.com....

Bulbs:

PIAA 168 Part # 19168

It's got H-151 on the box and is a 12v/5w bulb

Wagner 175L 5 candlepower
Sylvania # 2528 bulb, it's 5 watts

Mark Baker aka Coolerman
!Oy my 2/71 FJ40 (not road legal yet)
http://tinyurl.com/47zpb (My FJ site)

Original Message
On Behalf Of Bullfrog
Sent: Thursday, April 21, 2005 8:25 PM
Subject: [LCML] Instrument Cluster Lighting Tip

Lost my oil pressure gage recently and decided to do a little r&r on the
cluster while I had it out for replacement. I did the instrument light
shield removal a few years ago but was still not happy with the lighting so
now I want to change light bulbs but to what? OEM is Yakazi #158 bulbs, as
my 78 FJ-40 has the Yakazi cluster. I found a useful bulb chart with an
internet search

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/lights/signal_bulbs/signal_bulbs.html

According to the chart, the best replacement for #158 and #168 is #2825,
which offers twice as much candlepower, but only 60% of the life expectancy
of #158. It also draws about 60% more juice at .4 amp but I fairly
confident the old printed circuit board can handle the increased load. If it doesn't, I'll let you know. I toyed with replacing the #158 with #2827 for a nice amber glow but couldn't find any in the local parts houses. The #2825 does fit in the bulb holder that twists into the circuit board so that is not an issue. The bulb itself is larger than the #158, and presumbably puts out a little more heat.

For the high beam indicator light, which is also an OEM Yakazi #158 I
substituted the #168, which increases the brightness by 50%, is a little
cheaper, uses a little less amperage, and is the same bulb size as the #158
but has 3 times the lifespan. Since access requires complete removal of the
cluster including detaching the speedo cable just to change the bulb, I
decided to make a lifetime maintenance decision, although I hope I'm still
around when this bulb expires...)

Anyway, HTH all those cruiserheads out there with diminished night vision.

Bullfrog

ps I also found some neon orange, white and black acrylic paint and a fine
point brush at Michael's, trimmed the brush to a point with just a single
hair and painted all the needles on the gages and the gage faces to brighten
them up as well. Attached the old gasket with some permatex sealer since it
tore when I took the cluster apart and taped and sprayed the face of the
cluster with Rustoleum Satin Black paint. The cluster now looks brand new,
all done in one day and good to go. Definitely a nice interior face lift
for those cruisers that are being kept in shape for the long term...

Nuts,

I have three (3) pair of these, brand spankin new if you're interested. Bought them for my '76 that has since been sold. I never got around to installing them (story of my life) and I can't use them on my '74 as I have aftermarket gauges...

What I have is three (3) pair of PIAA superwhite bulbs from sor.com, part #176-12B-SW. SOR lists them for $14.52/pr + shipping.

Let me know if you're interested and we'll see if we can swing a deal on price. I'm sure my shipping will be much less than SOR's too :)

Just send me a PM if interested. I accept PayPal and could get them out within a day if you're in a hurry send them as whatever speed you'd like to pay for.

nutsaboutsoccer said:
Shane,
Is there any sort of number on those PIAA Bulbs? I'd like to try to locate them without having to order from SOR and wait a week.

those sound great but why? they will take up more power and burn out quicker most likely. Just get the equivalent specs in some LED lights for your dash. WAY brighter and take up almost no power. Just search for them on google. I don't have any links but i have found that they make them in the stock bulb size. they are as easy to change as the other bulbs.

good luck!

okie said:
those sound great but why? they will take up more power and burn out quicker most likely. Just get the equivalent specs in some LED lights for your dash. WAY brighter and take up almost no power. Just search for them on google. I don't have any links but i have found that they make them in the stock bulb size. they are as easy to change as the other bulbs.

good luck!

Im in, show me wise one..............Must go into OE plug if possible

Last edited:
I there was a big write-up on improving the light level for the stock guages some years ago, mabe in the Trails even. I recall that it did seem overly complicated. If someone found an easy LED "drop in" solution that would be sweet!

FWIW -- LEDs are directional, meaning they shine where you point them. I use them for my high-beam and for my turn signal indicators. However, I'm not sure how well they would work for the instrument cluster lighting, since the LEDs would be casting most of their light in a straight line towards you, not the cluster. Then again, they've got some funky lensing on some of those bulbs that seems to disperse the light in a "rounder" pattern . . .

Good luck. :beer:

Disassemble the cluster ... take a cutt-off tool and cut away the shields that cover the bulbs and the ones that divide the bulb area and the gauges.... and behold there is LIGHT!!!!

Last edited:
Wasn't there a LED page where the owner had several LC's? I seem to remember that he sold an LED cluster bulb that you could position the individual LED's.

corsair23 said:
What I have is three (3) pair of PIAA superwhite bulbs from sor.com, part #176-12B-SW. SOR lists them for $14.52/pr + shipping.

Wonder if its the same for 24V, i'd guess it's not.

leds are the way to go.

IMG_4955.jpg

I took some silver foil tape and put it on the shields every one removes, put in new bulbs that are a little longer. No problem seeing now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom