Lights dimming at idle, help a newb...

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by spike6901, Aug 2, 2005.

1. spike6901

spike6901

I am newb, here me.....ask.....

On a '80 FJ40, when at idle, the lights are very dim. If I rev up the engine a bit, they get much brighter. It has an optima battery that tests good.

Could it be a voltage regulator or do these rigs even have that? If so, where is it located and how can I test it? Can you help out a newb so I'll stop asking dumb questions? :doh:

2. dgangle

dgangle total rice

my SBC w/ one wire Delco alt does the same thing as the alt needs a certain rpm to energize it. I have just learned to live with it.

3. dfmorse

dfmorse

Spike;
    My 1980 (stock, sort of) does the same thing. Get a good volt meter and measure the battery voltage while the engine is idleing. It should be around 13.6 to 14.1 volts with the choke pushed all the way in. Pull the choke out to the first click; that's the fast idle position & the alternator will produce more voltage...

If u have the owner's manual (9763A), read up on that in this manual. Toyota has the policy of putting stuff in the owners manual that won't be found in the service manuals, and visa versa. Its dumb, I know..

The voltage regulator is mounted right on top of the alternator, or its built into the alternator; it depends on what came with the production run of the FJ40. For example, my FJ40 is manufactured in 1979, but has 1978 stuff on it (ignitor - transistorised module for the reluctance distributor), yet also 1980 stuff on it. Confusing isn't it?

There is lots of neat crap rapped up in the wiring harness too. Its like xmas. Its why most of us love cruisers...

dfm

4. andrewfarmer

andrewfarmer

5. spike6901

spike6901

Thanks for the help!

6. nuclearlemon

nuclearlemon not an addict Moderator

Media:
    Albums:
    if it really bothers you, try putting a relay in to the headlights. mine does it, but it doesn't bother me enough to care. headlights are brighter these days and many draw more power than they used to, plus resistance has built up the the wiring over the years...40 year old harnesses do that.

7. DSRTRDR

DSRTRDR I can mangle anything ... SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    second nuclearlemon, relay is the way to go to take care of the problem. Claudia

8. spike6901

spike6901

Can you elaborate further on the installation of a relay?

9. camcruiser13

camcruiser13

Media:
    Albums:
    i like it that way cuz the car in front of me thinks im flashin my brights and they get over :)

10. nuclearlemon

nuclearlemon not an addict Moderator

Media:
    Albums:
    here's a good sight on it...even though it's for higher power lights, it will work for regular 55w lights.
    http://www.birfield.com/~morgan/tech/h4/index.html

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.