lights acting up (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
well i now have realized that my brake lights are staying on. when the lights on my rig are not on and the brake is not engaged it seems to be like a sticky connection? im not sure but if i tap it a few it will go back to normal.

corrosion X is what I would recommend spraying it with. . or adjust your brake switch height. Gota spring on the pedal allowing it to go all the way up? Might be worth pulling it out and lubing it up.. FWIW, I'm using an FJ62 switch on my 64 fj45 so just about any toyota switch should fit if yours is bad.

There's a switch mounted on the bracket where the pedal mounts. That's what controls the brake lights. Possible reasons the lights might get stuck on are pedal height not correct, missing spring that pulls pedal back, switch sticking, switch is broken. Just crawl under the dash and work the pedal by hand and see if you can tell what's causing the problem. You should be able to locate the switch no problem once you look under there.

I don't know what year your 40 is, but the real old ones had a hydraulically-activated brake light switch mounted on the master cylinder. On those units, if there's any brake fluid expansion (extreme heat, air or moisture in the brake lines), your brake light will come on all by itself.

Also, like GetsUThere said, check the free play and return spring on your brake pedal.

There is a small rubber pad on the appendage of the brake lever that actuates the brake light switch. This rubber pad may have worn out or fallen off, and you may need to replace it or substitute something else for it.

I had the same problem several years ago and this was the culprit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom