lights acting up

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by joesfj40, Jul 22, 2005.

1. joesfj40

joesfj40 SILVER Star

well i now have realized that my brake lights are staying on. when the lights on my rig are not on and the brake is not engaged it seems to be like a sticky connection? im not sure but if i tap it a few it will go back to normal.

2. e-man

e-man

The pin may have fallen out of your brake pedal.

3. tornadoalleycruiser

tornadoalleycruiser SILVER Star

corrosion X is what I would recommend spraying it with. . or adjust your brake switch height. Gota spring on the pedal allowing it to go all the way up? Might be worth pulling it out and lubing it up.. FWIW, I'm using an FJ62 switch on my 64 fj45 so just about any toyota switch should fit if yours is bad.

4. GetsUThere

GetsUThere

There's a switch mounted on the bracket where the pedal mounts. That's what controls the brake lights. Possible reasons the lights might get stuck on are pedal height not correct, missing spring that pulls pedal back, switch sticking, switch is broken. Just crawl under the dash and work the pedal by hand and see if you can tell what's causing the problem. You should be able to locate the switch no problem once you look under there.

5. joesfj40

joesfj40 SILVER Star

im pretty sure that it is the switch that controls the lights becasue the spring is going back all of they way thanks guys

6. LandCruiserSteve

LandCruiserSteve

I don't know what year your 40 is, but the real old ones had a hydraulically-activated brake light switch mounted on the master cylinder. On those units, if there's any brake fluid expansion (extreme heat, air or moisture in the brake lines), your brake light will come on all by itself.

Also, like GetsUThere said, check the free play and return spring on your brake pedal.

7. CruisinGA

CruisinGA

There is a small rubber pad on the appendage of the brake lever that actuates the brake light switch. This rubber pad may have worn out or fallen off, and you may need to replace it or substitute something else for it.

I had the same problem several years ago and this was the culprit.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.