light your fire (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
If you carry a coleman propane lantern while camping here is a cool idea for helping to start your camp fire.

Go to your local hardware store and ask if they have a self ignighting torch kit for propane bottles. These are pizoelectric ignition tourch heads that will fit the top of your small colman gas bottles. Makes fire starting a breeze! no more flamable liquids or fuel log shavings.

Please be careful with your camp fires and always be sure to properly extighuish your fire. My family and I carry a 5 gal bucket to carry our ashes out. Doubles as a toilet.

I carry those little fire starter blocks that are basicly a bunch of saw dust and wax. they work really good for that and I store them in a ziploc bag so they don't dry out

I take old dryer lint and stuff it into the little holders in an egg crate cut out each holder and pour wax into them. best/cheapest little fire starters I have ever used. Plus I carry a butaine lighter for my cigars and that lights up just fine.

I just carry a BBQ lighter. Works for fires, stoves, lanterns, and BBQ's. I get the disposable kind they sell in the Dollar store.
large_LL40s.jpg

I let my scouts start the fire! hehehe

I usually carry a pint of white gas. Works like a charm :D.

I haven't needed much help starting fires down here ins S. AZ lately since we haven't really had any measurable rain in over 3 months.

Ross

Cammy said:
If you carry a coleman propane lantern while camping here is a cool idea for helping to start your camp fire.

Go to your local hardware store and ask if they have a self ignighting torch kit for propane bottles. These are pizoelectric ignition tourch heads that will fit the top of your small colman gas bottles. Makes fire starting a breeze! no more flamable liquids or fuel log shavings.

Please be careful with your camp fires and always be sure to properly extighuish your fire. My family and I carry a 5 gal bucket to carry our ashes out. Doubles as a toilet.

This is my exact fire starting setup. I've been using it for about 10 years now and has never failed me... even in the rain.

yup, use those myself.

I like that! Never thought of it...

I've done this for years:
Niner said:
I carry those little fire starter blocks that are basicly a bunch of saw dust and wax. they work really good for that and I store them in a ziploc bag so they don't dry out

Brentbba said:
I let my scouts start the fire! hehehe

5 gallons of gas and a Zippo?

:flipoff2:

Oh man, lots of cool homemade fire starters.

One is to cut a newspaper(still all folded up) into strips about 1.5" wide. Roll them up and tie a piece of kitchen string around it. Then dip the whole assembly(including the tag end of the string) in parrafin wax. 1 of these things will get a fire going very nicely.

Another one of my favorites was mentioned above with the dryer lint. I've never tried the wax part, but dryer lint by itself works pretty well.

I'm sure everyone knows about steel wool and a 9v battery. I always thought that was a pretty damn cool way of making a fire.

Lastly, for a nice bright homemade camp candle, take a wax-coated paper cup and fill it half full of parrafin wax. Set the whole assembly in a bowl w/ a little water in the bottom(this is to keep it from burning the table when it burns down) and then light the cup. Makes a decent amount of light and is pretty cheap.

Ary

oooo, steel and a battery!
details please!

anything with gunpowder, anybody?

Eric, take fine steel wool, and hold the posts of a 9V battery too it. It will start to glow and eventually if you tend it(i.e. blow on it gently) it will ignite into flame. That's it, light up some tinder and kindling and there you go.

ARy

how long will the battery last?

Cammy said:
My family and I carry a 5 gal bucket to carry our ashes out. Doubles as a toilet.

I understand that some people are spending their "outdoors time" in a very different environment than I do. So I can accept that there are places where wood ashes get treated like something unnatural and get hauled out. Same for human excretement I guess. But I gotta ask.... How do you use the same five gallon bucket for both? Sounds nasty and unpleasant. :(

Not to mention that sooner or later the bucket has to be cleaned or disposed of somehow.

?????????

Mark...

and how do you avoid burning your parts when you poop in the ashes?

And what if you eat beans? And the embers aren't quite cold?

Dear God!!! Stop the Madness before someone gets maimed!! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom