Light white mist/smoke after birf job (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
This thread may be premature, but I have some down time till I can do another test drive. I finally got my truck down off the jack stands yesterday after a four week saga birf job. (ill post details of my epic first birf job when all is done) Yesterday I sourced the last part i needed the bearing washer from the dealer. After weeks of waiting for help from Neighbor I manned up and finished the job myself.

The drivers side had been done for over a week. We had everything on the passenger side to the bearing washer. I installed it. Installed the first 54mm nut. Then the starred lock washer then the second 54mm nut. Torqued to feel per FAQ. Tightened then lossened to turn rotor by hand. On went the flang then lock ring and dust covered. I jumped for joy!!

I installed my new brake pads and bolted on the caliper. (first time doing a brake job.) But I cahnge MT disc brakes and watched my neighbor do the drivers side. Everything fit back right. So I think im good there. I wiped on a blue stop squeak gel and the back side of the pads.

I thened lowered the truck and was stoked. I cumed under the truck to tighten down the bolts on the front drive shaft that I had removed months ago to try and save the birfs. (waste of time, then went anyway)

In my excitement for a test drive I forgot the tighten the lug nuts. My boy jumped in the truck and we went for test drive. Sharp tight turns in cudlesac. 45 mph straight runs. 4lo and CLD locked fire road by house and some hard breaking to make sure I go the brakes right.

Came back to some light fine mist smoke coming from the passenger side. The one I finished. I seam to be emmiting from the dust cover on the inside facing the wheel. By touch the hub and disc where no more hotter than the drivers side.

THinnking it might have been excess grease I wanted an hour a did a second test drive. This time with little braking. It was then I discovred I for got to tighten the lugs!! Creeped home and parked No smoke.

It now sits. I broke the peice of **** Pro Comp lug nut key (2nd time) that the PO installed when he mounted the pro comp tires. Im waiting for Pro Comp to over night me a new key.

Im wondering what could be the cause of the white smoke. Bearings to tight? doubt it if anyting I worried the 54mm are night tight enough.

If you changed the brakes they can come with an anti-corrosion oil on them that my smoke when hot. It should only happen the first time you use them though.

Ok cool That might be want happened Im on eternal hold with Pro C*** to make sure the are sending my lug nut key.

If you changed the brakes they can come with an anti-corrosion oil on them that my smoke when hot. It should only happen the first time you use them though.

isn't that what brake clean is for? to remove this oil

SWEET! just hung up with procomp the are overnighting the new reenforced lug nut key! Man its good to see my rig on all 4 wheels. Though an 80 does look cool on jake stands too.

Interesting

Last edited:
I cumed under the truck to tighten down the bolts on the front drive shaft

Now that's interesting ;). Sorry--I couldn't resist.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom