light under the hood (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

DSRTRDR

I can mangle anything ...
SILVER Star
Threads
has anybody installed an under hood light on an FJ40? what kind, any recommendations? Thanks, Claudia

Why not use the way cool drop light that plugs into the glove box? That's what I use. If you really wanted to wire something up you could just pick up a generic light from TSC or any auto parts store and wire it up under the hood.

Last edited:
You could easily fab a bracket and attach it to one of the bolts that fasten the windshield rests. I would switch it under the hood. Getting out the trouble light to just check something under the hood seems like a lot of work.

GL and post pics of your project. Why don't you give this little project to Grumpy. Hey!!!! Wait a minute...is this what drained his Optimas?!?!?!?!?

Ed

I just use the GM lights under the hood. Attatch them to the windsheild hook bolts, and wire em up. No switch needed. Turns on when you open the hood. $1.00 each at the pick a part...

Degnol,

no, we are talking my cruiser here, his K5 drained - don't know why.

I was just joking, but I do think a battery cuttoff switch is a great idea. Hope Grumpy gets it solved. And if YOU figure it out before he does, somehow make it look like he solved it!
I dig your Webpage and all the cool pics, very nicely done!

Ed

Where is Nakman... He's got some cool halogen's in the bay of his 80. I guess he doesn't stray far from 80's tech. Maybe post something there or seach the 80 he may have posted pics of his...

HTH

Thanks everyone for the tips, Claudia

PS: Degnol, my husband does the website.

Bump.. Rice I pulled 2 from a couple 280's in the yard and put it in the cruiser. Those are pretty sweet little trouble lights. I need to check the ground on mine cause it's not working if I pull the light. It then needs a good ground when it's hanging extended.

Walmart has a really cool yellow magnetic light for about $5. Cut off the lighter plug and wire (polarity not important) a two prong ac plug, it fits right in the factory socket in the glove box.

Geez, just put some silverstar headlights in, enough light comes out the back to light up the engine bay!!

Rice said:
I've always loved the lights that came under the hood of 240-260-280 Datsuns. You run a hot wire to the light, the switch is there on the light, it sits in its own bracket but can be pulled out and held in hand like a flashlight (i.e. has a cord tucked into the bracket)

That seemed so cool I had to go find one from the local scavenger yard. Might have to rewire it, but a nifty little gadget!
Hood light1.JPG
hood light2.JPG

Thats what they say bout Butch and Nolen , " Their a little light under the hood ".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom