Light bar for LJ78 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys. I hope I'm not wearing out my welcome already.

I am looking for a light bar to fit in that space right above the bumper on the LJ78. I am wanting the thinest I can get so I do not obstruct any air flow. Since I am 8,000 miles away from my LC at the moment I was going to see if y'all would let me know if this would fit. 20-inch Cree LED Light Bar - (Single Row | Black Series) (The 20" or the 30"). I am thinking I am going to need as much light as I can get to dodge the street cows and dogs. :D

Thanks again for all the help and info!

JH

If you shifted the roof rack forward, you could mount a light bar up there and go as big as you want. In Australia we prefer something like this for driving on rural roads at night as they will give you much better distant visibility and have a light bar up top.
I would also put some side mounted lights on the roof rack, great for finding places at night or seeing what animal you just missed.

1608421084455.png

If you shifted the roof rack forward, you could mount a light bar up there and go as big as you want. In Australia we prefer something like this for driving on rural roads at night as they will give you much better distant visibility and have a light bar up top.
I would also put some side mounted lights on the roof rack, great for finding places at night or seeing what animal you just missed.

View attachment 2529336
I like that idea, but the issue I have is the sunroof. I really like the idea of side mounting some lights at a 45 degree angle up top. I'll look more into that for sure. Appreciate the thought RoscoFJ73! Keep em coming!

JH

Buy Phillips H4 LED's and put into H4 housings. Plenty bright! Love mine, and no need at all for a light bar.

Buy Phillips H4 LED's and put into H4 housings. Plenty bright! Love mine, and no need at all for a light bar.
Don’t you have bad scatter of the lights since LED have different beam patterns, the H4 bulb housings are made for incandescent bulbs, unless you got some projector light housings?

Don’t you have bad scatter of the lights since LED have different beam patterns, the H4 bulb housings are made for incandescent bulbs, unless you got some projector light housings?

I've explained this in a few posts now. New high quality LED lights (Philips) have largely overcome these problems. The LED elements are in exactly the same location as the halogen filaments used to be. I think the multitude of crappy China specials on ebay for years ruined many people's opinions of LED lights. The Philips brand ones are excellent in my experience. Mine are in Koito H4 housings. Would never go back.

tacoma-h4-led-review-10.jpg

I've explained this in a few posts now. New high quality LED lights (Philips) have largely overcome these problems. The LED elements are in exactly the same location as the halogen filaments used to be. I think the multitude of crappy China specials on ebay for years ruined many people's opinions of LED lights. The Philips brand ones are excellent in my experience. Mine are in Koito H4 housings. Would never go back.

Awesome insight GTS! Are these the ones you are talking about?

Amazon product ASIN B07LG7Y821
If so, I might go ahead and order them. If I wanted to get crazy and absolutely light up a Himalayan road or blind the street cows... would a single row RC led light bar (20" or 30") fit in that slot above the bumper well?

Also, is it possible to get led turn signals that fit the LJ78 as well, so they match?

Truly appreciate everybody's help!

JH

Awesome insight GTS! Are these the ones you are talking about?

Amazon product ASIN B07LG7Y821
If so, I might go ahead and order them. If I wanted to get crazy and absolutely light up a Himalayan road or blind the street cows... would a single row RC led light bar (20" or 30") fit in that slot above the bumper well?

Also, is it possible to get led turn signals that fit the LJ78 as well, so they match?

Truly appreciate everybody's help!

JH

As long as they are genuine Philips H4, they should work. But check that your housings are actually H4 before ordering! Some Prado's still run the original sealed beam head light - in which case the H4 won't work for you. Don't want to spend all that money and not be able to use them.

I don't recommend changing the turn signals to LED. The lower current draw makes the lights flash too fast. It can be fixed by adding a resistor - but not worth the effort for so little advantage in my opinion.

As long as they are genuine Philips H4, they should work. But check that your housings are actually H4 before ordering! Some Prado's still run the original sealed beam head light - in which case the H4 won't work for you. Don't want to spend all that money and not be able to use them.

I don't recommend changing the turn signals to LED. The lower current draw makes the lights flash too fast. It can be fixed by adding a resistor - but not worth the effort for so little advantage in my opinion.
Good to know. Thank you!

thanks for the explanation, might need to look into this, I prefer the warmer spectrum of light though, wonder if there are options?

thanks for the explanation, might need to look into this, I prefer the warmer spectrum of light though, wonder if there are options?

They add various phosphors to LEDs these days to get the warmer colors out of them (think house LED lights). Not sure with the Philips automotive headlights. Maybe read into it on their website.

I should comment that I do get a bit of unevenness on high beam, but it's not enough it really bothers me. And I live in a city, so never get to use high beam anyhow. Low beam is smooth and even with the nice H4 style vertical cutoff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom