Lifts, Spacers, J's, Oh My. Stinkbug. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

retrofive

rɛtrəʊ
SILVER Star
Threads
So reading the forum, listening to responses on my lift setup, etc; I have a couple questions:

I understand the stinkbug effect to this degree, and the fact of a higher rear end unloaded, will with load bring to level.

I typically don't haul/carry much more than some camping gear. I have all ways camp'd light so most my gear is... well light.

I really like the level looking stance. So with my typical load, how should I correct this? or compensate?

I do respect the words of "drive it for a few months to let it settle", but I feel like if it were to settle that much in the rear, something would be wrong or broken to get there.

Do I just on it to settle as much as possible?
Do I use spacers on the front?
Do I scrap the OME med setup in the front and do something else?

All things considered, I canceled my Blue CC's. And will re-order once I get a reading on where I currently stand there. Im sure with "leveling", my castor would also change leading me to other solutions to correct.

Long story short, Happy with the rear lift, the front seems a little low and would like to correct.

Future weight expectations (will be awhile), would be sliders and skids before front or rear bumps.

Look at my "stinkbug". That's what you can expect after a year or so.

I wouldn't touch it. It will settle and break in, and if you "level" it while it's new then it will look like it's sagging in the rear after a year.

If you *REALLY* want to even it out use the Mr Gasket spring spacers. They compress over time so they will "settle". They're not very thick tho and won't completely level it. You might need to pull them out after a year or so. I wouldn't suggest using non-compressible spacers (Like the MAF ones) unless you want to re-think your setup in a year.

Thanks Gabe! :) Guess after all those words, my question is would it really settle that much.

EDIT: Ok ok.... I will practice patience... lol.

I was in the same boat and traded my J's for some heavies in the rear and after they settled I was level but maybe not while loaded. I traded back to the J's which are still settling now and was glad I did before hitting the Rubicon, every millimeter counts there. Lifting the front any higher than you are now may put you past what CC bushings will do and that means more $$$ to get it right, maybe just a couple hundred bucks or over a few hundred depending.

Thanks Gabe! :) Guess after all those words, my question is would it really settle that much.

Like I said...look at mine. :p

They settle a LOT. You probably have half an inch over what I do in the rear.

Once yours settles it'll have a bit of stinkbug but not much. Mine is about half an inch taller in the rear than the front (2" lift front, 2.5" rear).

50Lbs of food :p That would last the next 10yrs! :eek::grinpimp:

DSCF1182Small.jpg

Correction then...50lbs dog food, then a reall dog to eat it :grinpimp:

:flipoff2:

LMAO! Then again I could buy 50bls of food from costco for my prego wife (I swear those are her words).... but it wouldn't last a week.

Cheaper yet, get some ratchet straps from frame to axle and set your desired height :flipoff2:

Perfect! Wally World here I come.

Cheaper yet, get some ratchet straps from frame to axle and set your desired height :flipoff2:

I've seen people do that.

Though it's to limit droop, rather than adjusting height. :hillbilly:

I've seen people do that.

Though it's to limit droop, rather than adjusting height. :hillbilly:

Yep limiting straps, of course you would want some quality straps and hardware for that application rather than the normal ratchets. I would assume.

I've got a roll of Duck tape, well just over half a roll, that should do the trick....:hillbilly:
Whiskey Tango!!!

Ok, so rather than create a new thread....

Lift, SS, and 25mm front spacer are installed now :)

Need to get my Caster checked. Any recommended shops around here to get it done properly?

I was thinking Expert Tire or Advantage maybe? They both have done a bit a work and tires on our company rigs.

If you can get it done for under $50 then do it. River Town Auto here is at $50 and they are shooting for cheapest in town. I have to get mine aligned after I replace my TRE's but am thinking of dropping in some spacers if I can source some 1" ones.

If you can get it done for under $50 then do it. River Town Auto here is at $50 and they are shooting for cheapest in town. I have to get mine aligned after I replace my TRE's but am thinking of dropping in some spacers if I can source some 1" ones.

Thanks G! Good know.

I went to Nelson's brake and alignment, quick and very reasonable, right by Cliff's auto electric before Lithia toyota on the left side of Riverside. I think a 4 wheel alignment was less than $50 so I would assume you'd spend much less than that. That is the only place I've been to in Medford. Rivertown auto treated me more than fair last time I went in there. Definitely the Grants Pass tire-place to use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom