Lifting the Girlfriend's 97' Limited, 2020 advice? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi 'Mud,

It's been years since I've been back in the 3rd gen game, what with having my own 60' Series.
BUT, love has a way of doing things to you, and making you convince partners to get the 'lil' versions of the big FJ's ;)
...aaaaaaaaaand here we are.

So; a little background information on the truck / situation / plan of attack:

- The truck's a 97' Limited, 201K, and had a really pampered life.
- Yet, the springs/shocks are all original, as are the UBJ/LBJ's and the 245 tires.
- Intending to put some FZJ80 wheels and 285/75's A/T's on it.
- I'll be doing the Upper / Lower ball joints at the same time. Because; Safety.
- Trying to keep the price (ideally) under 1,200$, and performance at the highest level.
- The truck's a pavement princess 95% of the time. Our '60 is the expedition wagon, and will largely be kept that way, mothballed until it needs to take us somewhere... ...But, I foresee short river trips, overnights, snow trips, etc. in the 4R, and maybe some 'lite' off road when girlie's wanting to rip it.
- We're not gonna load it down with bumpers/winches/armor. Think: Lift + A Wax job.

So, here's the question:
What's the best dollars-to-donuts 2020-available shipped-to-me kit for a 3rd gen?

Here's what I've discovered...

0) 285/75's will ***probably*** rub even after a lift, at full lock/stuff.
- Essentially, I'll need to trim away the LTD front inner fender and some pinch-welds, if I want to ensure no rubbing up front.
(ExpPortal thread on 285's on 3rd gens) [ CLICK ] ***See comment 8***
(t4r.org thread on 285's on 3rd gens) [CLICK] ***See comment 4-5***

1) Stay away from Rough Country:
- Purely based on the comments of this forum, Yotatech, and 4Runner.org, and t4r.org... I think this might be a budget lift that won't get me what I want, that comes from a company with boo-boo customer service and that designs bargain-basement lifts without much more in mind.
(t4r thread explains this. additional links inside) [CLICK]

2) Old Man Emu and Dobinsons are ***about*** the same quality / price... but have minor differences
- Here's an interesting Dobinsons kits I've found, but unsure if the 2" will clear my 285's... [CLICK]
- Here's the tried and true Old Man Emu 3" [Running FRONT 881 coils and REAR 890 springs] [CLICK]

Is there any other kit I'm missing here that could really get this thing built out right?
(Fj60 pic for posterity/hits)
rdeua+BPRpy0i3NDiB3pZw.jpg

Heres what i just used on my daughters 97T4R.
Gave it a nice stance and feels great on the hwy, mtn. roads, and FS roads where we live. Not a crawler by any means but a simple huge improvement in ride and appearance. we put 33x10.5s mounted on stock 2014 t4r 17" trail series wheels and 1.5" spidertrax spacers under it. Rear was fine, had to trim the front in all the suspect places (rear fender liner and we have a tube bumper on it so no issue up front)
Lift ended up ~2.5" plus tire size.

Front setup-

Rear -
Amazon product ASIN B004P9IE96

Heres what i just used on my daughters 97T4R.
Gave it a nice stance and feels great on the hwy, mtn. roads, and FS roads where we live. Not a crawler by any means but a simple huge improvement in ride and appearance. we put 33x10.5s mounted on stock 2014 t4r 17" trail series wheels and 1.5" spidertrax spacers under it. Rear was fine, had to trim the front in all the suspect places (rear fender liner and we have a tube bumper on it so no issue up front)
Lift ended up ~2.5" plus tire size.

I appreciate this. Getting similar feedback over at Yotatech.
Lots of folks advising the Bilstein/OME hybrid shock/spring combos.
...did custom-valved 5100 Bilsteins recently on my FJ60, and MAN what an improvement.

Did you compress the springs yourself? Also, did you re-use the top mounting plate of the OEM coil-overs?

Ideally, I'd like these all shipped to me ready to install... but my 'grandpa is showing.' ...just want a quicker install, you know?

I appreciate this. Getting similar feedback over at Yotatech.
Lots of folks advising the Bilstein/OME hybrid shock/spring combos.
...did custom-valved 5100 Bilsteins recently on my FJ60, and MAN what an improvement.

Did you compress the springs yourself? Also, did you re-use the top mounting plate of the OEM coil-overs?

Ideally, I'd like these all shipped to me ready to install... but my 'grandpa is showing.' ...just want a quicker install, you know?

Yes, and yes. I have a pair of spring compressors from OTC that i use with my impact gun. Mostly safe😂

On his 98 4runner (3.4l, 5 speed manual) my son is running a Toytec 3” lift with SPC upper control arms and 285/75/16 KO2s. Seems pretty happy with the drive-ability of it. Now that it’s aligned, and we’ve addressed rear upper and lower links, it seems a very solid rig.

On his 98 4runner (3.4l, 5 speed manual) my son... ...it seems a very solid rig.

...Man, what a car for a young guy. I bet he's stoked.
I was pushing a 91' Isuzu Trooper w/ that "I-TEC" 2.6L 4cyl then, all behind an automatic.
And those loverly rear leafs and front torsions...

What I wouldn't have given for coil overs and coil rear... bet it handles REAL smooth ;)

Hi 'Mud,

It's been years since I've been back in the 3rd gen game, what with having my own 60' Series.
BUT, love has a way of doing things to you, and making you convince partners to get the 'lil' versions of the big FJ's ;)
...aaaaaaaaaand here we are.

So; a little background information on the truck / situation / plan of attack:

- The truck's a 97' Limited, 201K, and had a really pampered life.
- Yet, the springs/shocks are all original, as are the UBJ/LBJ's and the 245 tires.
- Intending to put some FZJ80 wheels and 285/75's A/T's on it.
- I'll be doing the Upper / Lower ball joints at the same time. Because; Safety.
- Trying to keep the price (ideally) under 1,200$, and performance at the highest level.
- The truck's a pavement princess 95% of the time. Our '60 is the expedition wagon, and will largely be kept that way, mothballed until it needs to take us somewhere... ...But, I foresee short river trips, overnights, snow trips, etc. in the 4R, and maybe some 'lite' off road when girlie's wanting to rip it.
- We're not gonna load it down with bumpers/winches/armor. Think: Lift + A Wax job.

I'm not sure my aims are exactly the same as yours, but my 3rd gen Hilux Surf (4runner diesel) sees tougher 4wd than what you are describing including occasional stream crossings, mud, steep mountain trails etc. I don't do any intentional rock crawling, but light rock crawling has happened before based on trails/riverbeds etc.
My setup is actually very close to factory and I've never bottomed the Surf out or felt that it couldn't go where I needed it to. It is a remarkably capable vehicle offroad once the right tyres are on it.

OEM 16" rims, which i've never bent or damaged, and seldom even need balancing with 265/75/16 (was Goodyear Duratrac for 5 years, recently moved to Kumho MT51s which I got on clearance for less than half the price). Both of these tyres have been fantastic offroad and good enough on road. That size equates to 32" and i'm just at the limit without rubbing (not using any spacers etc). Re wheels, I wouldn't spend money on wheels from your budget unless you are getting a steal or have some cash to spare.

Bilstein 4600/5100 (i say both, because for the rear of the vehicle, they are the same shock just painted differently, buy whichever is cheaper)
For the front, the 5100 is height adjustable (spring perch adjustment)

I have a rear 1" spring (25mm) whiteline coil spring isolator to level the rear ( W72820 )

Re ball joints, if you can afford it within budget, go for the genuine stuff. They are expensive, but they LAST.

I've changed all suspension bushings to Whiteline Polyurethane bushings because I kept on destroying various rubber bushings, but the jury is still out on this. I think it did make the ride firmer, but my vehicle handles like a car on smooth roads, very little body roll in corners etc.

If you are an automatic TRANSMISSION COOLER IS A MUST FOR ALL TOYOTA AUTOMATICS! Buy a good one, and add a genuine (metal) magnefine filter.

Finally, make sure all of your metal guards/skid plates under the vehicle are in good shape. I kept the OEM one and it has protected my underside in every offroad situation I've taken it.

Add a rear tow hook from harbor freight (less than $10). My Surf had a front tow hook but only had rear loops and not a proper hook.

Extend the rear diff breather if it hasn't been done yet. Cheap and easy mod that can save some work later.

WhatsApp Image 2020-09-29 at 12.36.50 PM.jpeg

What an acute pleasure ripping a 4runner on Jamaica must be, man. True rudeboy status.

That said; I think you're taxing your 4R more than she'll tax hers.
Point well taken on the AT cooler and the OEM BJ's. I've budgeted for those separately.

My real goal is to get the 4R to:
- Fit the FZJ80 wheels and 285/75's I have with minimal rub, using no spacers.
- Improve ride and off road ability (e.g. fire roads and some mud, seldom flexed) without a cheap-o spacer/Rough Country lift.
- Make the vehicle safe for my girl, whom I love dearly.

So...

All considered, probably going to go OME, and do U/LBJ at the same time.
Simple kit, ships pre-assembled front suspension, and I've been happy with their products on earlier Toyotas I/my friends wheel much harder with.

... I did the Bilstein/OME valved-to-spec hybridization on my FJ60, and love the result... but she'll never need that much performance from a spring/shock/coil, and the end result I desire to be something like this:

Goals.jpg

What an acute pleasure ripping a 4runner on Jamaica must be, man. True rudeboy status.

That said; I think you're taxing your 4R more than she'll tax hers.
Point well taken on the AT cooler and the OEM BJ's. I've budgeted for those separately.

My real goal is to get the 4R to:
- Fit the FZJ80 wheels and 285/75's I have with minimal rub, using no spacers.
- Improve ride and off road ability (e.g. fire roads and some mud, seldom flexed) without a cheap-o spacer/Rough Country lift.
- Make the vehicle safe for my girl, whom I love dearly.

So...

Simple kit, ships pre-assembled front suspension, and I've been happy with their products on earlier Toyotas I/my friends wheel much harder with.

... I did the Bilstein/OME valved-to-spec hybridization on my FJ60, and love the result... but she'll never need that much performance from a spring/shock/coil, and the end result I desire to be something like this:

Offroading in Jamaica can be fun for sure, and there are some beautiful trails. The main issue is that there are no trails long enough to do any sort of overlanding etc, and the longest proper 4wd continuous section of unpaved trail i'll found is maybe 15-20km max. This Surf is my daily driver though, so I'm always compromising between offroad and on road capability.

Re your plan, it sounds good. Once OME is in the budget, then go for it! I'd love to see the final look when you get the 80 wheels and 33"s (almost) to fit.

Good read, thank you. I have a '97 Limited with OME 906's in the rear and a set of Eibach 1400.250.0650s with Bilsteins up front. All sitting on 265's, absolutely no rub lock to lock and perfectly capable for anything I have needed it to do. I bought it this way from a friend of mine. I intend to go to 285's once these 265's wear out. So reading these really helps with what decision I make going forward. Mild wheeling & camping but mostly my DD when I am not in my work truck. I am thinking of going with OME 890's in the rear since I have the weight of the rack up top and only when camping I will have the RTT up there. Then probably cranking up the coils in the front to see where that gets me.

full

full

View attachment 2465378

@Taylorious Did you complete the lift with OME stuff?

I’m updating an older lift to better suit my needs. Currently OME plus Rev-tec spacers up front, OME heavy rear, 285 KM2 on 80 series 16x8 w/o spacers. Curious what you ended up with

5660291A-59F4-43A1-B7D9-BBA592F8287F.jpeg

Hi all,

I did!

Did upper/lower BJ's, extended SS brakelines, and a SRQ fabrication hybrid Bilstein/OME kit, as well as a differential drop from Total Chaos.
(had to make some little spacers + extend the bolts to retain the OEM skidplate, but that's mickey mouse stuff)

Used all new components for the front strut assembly, since the old ones were really clapped out at 200K+

Install went well, and was accomplished in 1 day. Hardest part was deciding which circlip to put the shocks together at.
Went with the lowest clip, but I think it has a bit of rub due to this extra missing 1" of lift... but only at a very specific 2/3rds turn and in up-travel or full stuff in the rear.

Went and shook it down on. some roads last weekend, and it performed well. Really eats bumps well, and dampening is fantastic.

If I ever get a wild hair, I'll take the fronts out and re-compress them for a 2nd time, and put the spring at the 2nd clip... but, for a 95% mall crawler that can get you there if the old FJ60 takes a dump... it's golden.

Thank you all for the advice.

oFevcV4hTO2lCfXwTmED%g.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom