lifting my cruiser (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
ok well guys i just found this forum i think its awesome!! :) my dad finally agreed to give me the cruiser!!! :) so im very happy its got a few fun things it has a sb chevy 283 with a 4 speed and front willwood disc brakes and thats about it for now. but im interested in lifting it i was thinking along a cheaper budget on it like over spring i have heard is cheaper? but im new im not 100% sure on everything but it is a 1972 tlc fj40 model stock everything but the mods i listed in the begining so ya just give me ur tips and i will have to consider what my options are. i think this is a great forum and im pleased that i found it casue i would not be able to hear everyones opinion n stuff so yaaa thanks guys

I think you should ask yourself a few questions:

What will your 40 will be primarily used for?
Over spring is often referred to as spring over axle (SOA) or sprung over, and this means approx. 5" of lift. How much lift are you interested in?
What tire size are you planning on running (SOA usually means 35's or greater)?

You should also become familiar w/the search button, as a lot of your questions have already been asked :D

Everything that I have done to my 40 I have learned from the cruiser community, which this board is a part of...

Welcome to the board,
manny

edit:
For reference, I am currently running 33"s w/approx. 3" of lift.
(2.5" lift springs SUA w/extended shackles)

Post a pic of your truck.
poser.jpg

Last edited:
All things being equal, an SOA will add about 7-8 inches of lift compared to the same components in SUA configuration.

Mark...

soa is pretty technical and keep in mind the fact that whatever you do is going to be a lot of work. expecially if your doing it alone. i say slap a skyjacker kit on it and some 33's and see where your at after a year or so.

I had SOA on a '78 I used to have. I was running 35" tires. I ended up reverting it back to Spring under axles with better leafs and slightly longer shackles. I put 33's on it and it handled and wheeled soooo much better. Less ground clearance but not as tippy, way more stable. Unless you need tons of ground clearance, or want a rock crawler I would run 33's.

I would disagree with SOA being cheaper, unless you have some good fab skills and all the tools to do it right.

Cheaper is based on you fabrication skills.
Like MAnny said use the search button and you find tons of information on likt kits. Everyone has their own opinion on what is best which is what makes the board fun.

Where are you located in California?
Post up a picture of your rig.
Welcome to the board.

Mark W said:
All things being equal, an SOA will add about 7-8 inches of lift compared to the same components in SUA configuration.

Mark...

WOOO, step away from the pipe! My SOA is about 4.5" of lift. It sits lower than treeroots 4" SUA, but he is on 37's i'm on 35's, The reality is that our suspension height is pretty much Identical, and his springs have settled a bunch, I just flex more than him :grinpimp: like, a lot more. SOA dose not have to be tall and my junk is proof.

Last edited:
trucruiser said:
I would disagree with SOA being cheaper, unless you have some good fab skills and all the tools to do it right.

Totally agree on not agreeing :confused: that sounds funny

anyway, to so a SOA properly it takes $$, regardless of fad skillz. Everything is pretty close to free except steering. You really should get a hysteer setup with SOA, and your looking at $500 minimum for a good setup that I would trust. Then comes other things that have to be done that to make this steering work and be worth while (ie sag PS, disc brakes (big knuckle pattern, don't want to waste $$ on weak little knuckle pattern, weak birfs, DRUMs!! BOO) Anyway I love my SOA truck and would never go back If your in the long haul that is the route to go. My junk handles just as well as treeroots down windy roads, maybe cause i'm out boarded out front, and long wheelbase everything is relative.

Let us know what your intent is

for this car im am basically using it for driving to and from school and driving around on the weekends and at least 3-4 times a month goin off roading like winter mudding and tahoe but summer some nice fire roads and river crossing but i would like to have a good lift kit at least 4 inch ive seen skyjacker and many others but im doing my homework before i purchase anything :)

From what im reading in your post, i think an SUA suspension kit will suit your needs just fine.

you might check around the forum for on old skyjacker kit that someone has removed to do an soa. in this case you could get a fairly well worn set of springs for more articulation at about half the price. only thing is you will have to find extended break lines and other doodads on your own. could be cheaper though.....that's what i did. so far so good!

joesfj40 said:
for this car im am basically using it for driving to and from school and driving around on the weekends and at least 3-4 times a month goin off roading like winter mudding and tahoe but summer some nice fire roads and river crossing but i would like to have a good lift kit at least 4 inch ive seen skyjacker and many others but im doing my homework before i purchase anything :)

so why are you lifting it?
suggestion - drive it for a while and work out what it does well and what it doesnt. Then make a plan to fix the faults. You'll get a better truck at the end of it than just jumping in and doing things at random...

suggestion - drive it for a while and work out what it does well and what it doesnt. Then make a plan to fix the faults. You'll get a better truck at the end of it than just jumping in and doing things at random...[/QUOTE]

This is exactly what a cruiser guru told me. I was already to go with a spring over when I first got my FJ40 and had read lots of info on the internet (perhaps to much information). After he settled me down a bit he told me he wheeled his stock cruiser then slowly modified it based on his needs. For what it is worth I ended up with 4" SKyjacker springs with extende shackle and a Shackle Reversal. I run 35" tall tires.
Drive yours the rest of the summer, go wheeling and this winter, if you still want to lift it, do it.

Where in CA are you?
Might want to join a local club if there is one in your area.

joesfj40 said:
well i would like to lift it becasue the rear is sagging and the springs are old the ride is crappy and for a bit more ground clearence and to put bigger tires on

First of all, a cruiser is never going to ride "good" like a newer vehicle. But if it's sagging to the point it's hitting the bumpstops, new springs will help quite a bit. Sounds to me like you would be best suited to a simple bolt on SUA kit. Skyjacker makes decent stuff for the money, and you can likely get it locally. Shipping on springs is a killer. Also keep in mind the more arch or lift the spring has, the stiffer the ride is likely going to be. Because of the height of my garage door, I can't run anything bigger than 33's. So I run the skyjacker 2.5 inch kit with extended shackles. just sneaks under my garage door and goes everywhere I need it to. Doesn't ride too terrible for a cruiser either.

petescoffee i live in pleasanton so ya pretty close are there any great off roading spots besides carnigie and hollister? but ya thanks for the advice im probally going to do that and go with what i need over time im probally going to get new springs and get extended shackles and new shocks so that will probally be it for the suspension factor thanks a lot everyone on her for all of your opinions :)

Skyjacker 4" softrides with the shocks will probably be the cheapest route. You could go cheaper with the 4' Rough country but keep in mind the name of this product. "Rough" is a key word! If money is no object then get the CCOT Hell for Stout kit. We have had good luck with this kit.

Later,

bustanutley said:
WOOO, step away from the pipe! My SOA is about 4.5" of lift. It sits lower than treeroots 4" SUA, but he is on 37's i'm on 35's, The reality is that our suspension height is pretty much Identical, and his springs have settled a bunch, I just flex more than him :grinpimp: like, a lot more. SOA dose not have to be tall and my junk is proof.
hate to do it but he's right
dudes junk is low and flexes
TRIAL BY ERROR!
shawn

if you dont wanna do an soa just go SKYJACKER,i went downey's and i now hafta pull leafs to make it ride good.
shawn

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom