Lifting my 94FZJ advice and why- (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.burnmachinefilms.com
Hi all. I’ve read every article and thread on here related to suspension lifts but let’s face it, it’s a lot like reading instructions for dealing with labor and giving birth -they all target the same thing. Success and safety which obviously is very important and top priority. I’m doing a lot of remote work in New England (wildlife Cinematography) and now more than ever I am having the opportunities to bring my vehicles along. Mostly fire roads some abandoned some still used, over the past year somewhere pretty gnarly. I guess my question is I’m running 34s on my white cruiser with about 1.5 inches. Of lift and I’d like to go up 2 to 2.5 inches without “the stink but look“ and keep everything off the roof so it’s not top heavy etc…I carry about 160 some odd pounds of camera gear in the back including my full-size spare And I almost never go over that weight unless I have passengers. It doesn’t have to ride super smooth on the highway as long as it’s safe has most of the time it’s gonna be weighted down with gear.
Thanks in advance for any thoughts or recommendations?

I would see if you can get into a few rigs with different suspensions and see what suits you for shocks and springs. There are lots of opinions on what is best.

Get a panhard lift in the rear

Fix your front caster and do not use bushings, they do not last long.

Also make sure you extend the brake lines and drop the sway bar in the front.

Sounds like your vehicle is a 'tool-of-the-trade' rather than a 'toy'. In that case I wouldn't go more than 2". Reason? You might end up cha$ing your tail to correct a host of side effects.

If you are getting into gnarley country, fit a winch.

I'm with the others who say that if what you have works, look into a winch and some recovery gear instead of a lift.
Otherwise, many of the unintended/undesirable side effects resulting from a lift (tho usually beyond 3"s) can be solved/skipped/short-cutted by having a reputable shop do the lift. As opposed to you/a friend doing it in a driveway.

Clarify your personal wants/needs. The 80 series is pretty darn capable right out of the box. Have you been denied access or delayed in your travels due to adverse barriers (read that as stuck) where you could not self recover? If so, was it clearance issues (where a lift would help) or traction issues? Do you want to look cool while you are performing the job duties related to your profession or are you relying on your skill set (driving) to maintain forward momentum? I have run my 80 for decades without a lift and on clapped out stock springs. It has never been denied with proper planning and execution. Yes, I have been delayed but nothing stopped me after the obligatory cup of hot tea and a good evaluation of the situation at hand (Stop and assess, plan, execute). That being said, I have recently purchased a Dobinson’s lift with stock shocks and could not be happier.

If you are after a smoother ride invest in onboard air. Run a 16" wheel to maximize sidewall and air your tires down.

I am running E rated 315/75/16's. I normally run them at 36 psi on pavement. Than I run them at 18 psi offroad and it makes a huge difference in ride quality on the washboard and rocky trails I frequent in my travels. If I am getting stuck in snow or sand than I will drop down to the 12-14psi range.

Goodluck and post some of your pictures/videos for us to enjoy!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom