1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lifting causes me to spend how much?

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by mattcobb, Nov 28, 2003.

1. mattcobb

mattcobb

I have to install new shocks (any good bilstein sources?) and redo shackles which brings me to lifting. I see CCOT has shackles that can lift 1.5 or 2.5 inches (they are simply bigger than OEM). I was thinking about installing those while I was in there. Will I hav eto redo drive lines or anything else? Or, can I jst stuff the new shackles and shocks in there and call it all good? Thanks

2. fsusteve

fsusteve

Media:
    Albums:
    If the shackles are longer than stock then you will need a install the appropriate sized shim in to maintain steering geometry, other than that you should be good to go.

3. aZ..fj-40

aZ..fj-40

Matt, If you do a shakle lift, front or rear, you shold use tapered shims to keep the driveshaft flange angles correct between the axles and the t-case. I lifted my '74's rear with 2" longer shakles, and had a bad rumble at anything over 35 mph, and cured it with 2 degree shims. The front is a different story. the caster is thrown off with a shakel lift because you rotate the axle pinion flange up and change the camber. Shims are cheap, but the advice is to find steel ones, and also install spring leaf thru bolts with longer heads to fit thru the shim and into the spring mount hole. Shims are always installed thick end to the shakle, unless you did a shakle reversal. I hope this is helpfull, Earl