1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lifter Noise

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by Zeke, Jan 25, 2004.

1. Zeke

Zeke

I have a 98 series 100, when it is cold 30 or less the lifter make a loud noise when the engine is started. This noise goes away after 20 to 120 seconds. I'm told this is normal by the Toyota service department. Does anyone else have this happen. The colder it is the longer I hear the noise.

I read on another thread about throttle failure. I had my throttle sensor replace at 60k. I was almost hit at an intersection when mine failed.

You have a great forum here, glad I found it. :D

2. Pitbull

Pitbull

I don't know if that is normal in a 100, but I found a long time ago in my 80 that running 5w30 Mobil 1 synthetic seemed to medigate the sound. Plus you need to be running the correct Toyota oil filter (can't remember the #).

3. Zeke

Zeke

Thanks for the suggestion. The next time I change the oil I will try mobil 1. My cruiser is maintained by the local Toyota Garage, so the oil filter should not be an issue.

4. Mr.Bryan

Mr.Bryan

As far as the filter goes, toyota selles like 3 diffrent ones or something like that. Cdan knows the #s, but do a search for oil or oil filter and you should find the #s. There has been a ton of posts about oil and the "rattle".

Oh and by the way, welcome aboard :cheers:

-Bryan

5. Mr.Bryan

Mr.Bryan

Wait, you've got a 100. Dunno about the filters then. Still search though. There's info out there.

6. Zeke

Zeke

Thanks Mr.Bryan.. I just took my TLC out for a quick ride. Started great considering it was -16 this AM. The lifters made their regular noise, but went away after a minute or two. It is a great machine, much better than the Jeep Grand Cherokee I had.

7. xl715

xl715

My 80 makes the 'Landcruiser rattle' when left sit for a while also. I have noticed that if I turn the key to on, wiat a few seconds then start it that the rattle doesn't happen or if it does it only last a second or two. May just be my rig or it could be that the fuel pump runs initaly when ignition is turned on generating a bunch of fuel pressure - thus the high rev cold start. But by leaving the key on for a sec before starting lets the fuel pressure normalize? Like I said, could just be a quirk of my rig, but most of the time I remote start my rig so I don't hear it!!

8. landtank

landtank SILVER Star

I've switched to 0W-40 upon some oil threads a while back. Truck seems to love this stuff. The rattle is gone from what I can tell. On an oil change I put in a full 8 quarts which I think is a slight over fill, but after 5000 miles it is still at the full mark. This is mixed driving maybe on the highway side of the split. Only problem is sourcing the oil. Walmart seems to only stock 2- 6 packs at a time. Right now I have my next 2 changes bought and stored in the garage. My wife is constantly checking stock levels as well as I, especially when on the road. I got 8 quarts on the way back from NY 2 weeks ago :D.

9. Mr.Bryan

Mr.Bryan

i did the 0-w40 switch too, but i still get the rattle anytime it sits and cools off. i dunno. I'm wating till i see the 5-w40 on the shelf and i'ma give that a try. see if that helps anything. Oh well, it starts w/no problems and still runs great so i dont care. :slap:

-Bryan

10. bjowett

bjowett Supporting Vendor

Walmart frequently has the Rotella 5/40 group 3 synthetic at $12.84/ gallon container.

The Motorcraft FL1A (made by Purolator) fits the filter bill fairly well if you can't sorce the proper large Toyota unit. It has the proper (?) 16 psi bypass, anti-drain back valve, VERY large Pure One filter element.

11. warpdriv

warpdriv

I thought the DOHC motors do not have lifters. It's a cam to a shim to the valve. Right ???

12. Zeke

Zeke

I believe the 100's have hydralic lifters. I'm concerned with the bleed down rate and recharge time. What is normal? In cold weather. I'm going to try synthetic oil. Thanks to everyone who is trying to help.

13. cruiserdan

cruiserdan SupportingVendor Emeritus Moderator

Surrounded by Cruisers from all over the world
    Nope,

Solid lifters. It is a lifter "bucket" with a variable thickness shim on the top. 4 per cylinder.

Your rattle is something else, perhaps related to backlash in the oil pump rotors or some item in the accesory drive.

D-

14. robbie

robbie Guest

I think the death rattle in the 1FZ engine might be not enough oil pressure to the tensioner for the timing chain. I have rebuilt two engine and enlarged the oil hole in the tensioner and have no rattle in these engines currently. As for oil engines, I have not made the time to do this on a couple of engines that I know have a rattle. This was a fix I found for Nissan's oil pressure driven tensioners (web search). I did want to do a couple of tests before I did it to customers trucks. I took a drill bit about 3 times bigger then the hole and drilled out the hole and cleaned it with brakeleen. Later Robbie

15. robbie

robbie Guest

As for the 100 series, it could have a problem like the subaru's had where it sucked air around the seal on the shaft after about 100 k miles. thus airating the oil, and not lubracating things as well or allowing oil not to get where it need to be right away. Dan is right about the shim and puck (bucket), no hydralic lifter(thank god). THe best way to diagnosis this is to hook a pipe to the oil pressure guage hole and clear hose to see the oil and allow the enigine to pump some oil out and see if it has a lot of air in the oil. later Robbie

16. Zeke

Zeke

Cruiserdan,
    You are correct about the solid lifters, I was misinformed. I have spoke to my cruiser service agent and will try mobil 1 oil before doing anything else. He feels this synthetic oil will get up into the top of the engine quicker in cold weather. He also says I can go longer between oil changes, perhaps helping to offset the added cost. Thanks to all who have responded. I still have not heard from another series 100 owner if they are experiencing this noise, still may not be a problem. My tech feels it is normal in cold weather.

17. bjowett

bjowett Supporting Vendor

My father has a Tundra with the same 2UZ engine, I will ask him if he has noticed any noise. Actually, I will have the truck tomorrow night, and will be starting it on nice cold morning the following day, so I will report.

Also, try one of these http://www.janyce.com/+wolver/heat.html just like starting on a warm day.

18. Zeke

Zeke

I changed my oil yesterday, 5w-30 mobil 1. That oil is great. This morning when I started the cruiser I had very little lifter noise and the engine turned over as if it was summer time not 10 degrees. Problem solved? I hope. Thanks to all

data-matched-content-rows-num="2,1" data-matched-content-columns-num="1,4" data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">