Lifted? Tracks with ruts in road. Shackles too long (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Well, everyone's help was tremendous and here are the pictures of the final results. Who knew that tie rod ends needed rubber?

And out of all the suggestions that I had I ended up putting 4 degree shims on and I got new tie rod ends and I rebuilt the center arm and I took out one leaf spring out of each wheel.

the results were tremendous because it is a much softer ride now and it doesn't track nearly as bad. I get a little bit because that's to be expected with a solid axle but I have very good control now, so thank you everyone.

IMG_20200225_160458.jpg

IMG_20200225_160451.jpg

IMG_20200225_160446.jpg

IMG_20200225_160442.jpg

IMG_20200225_160435.jpg

Oh geez....... I just realized after taking those pictures that I still forgot to lock down my steering stabilizer properly. There's too much of a gap

Shackle is not stock, neither is the wedge at spring U bolts.
that wedge is the castor shim that is needed to correct pinion and angle and front axle castor. yes not stock but needed for the longer shackles and lift springs. your springs are too short though and make a very vertical angle. that’s still going to ride harsh.

that’s pretty well explained. i still think at ride height on a high arched spring the shackle should be less than 90 degrees. either a longer spring or changing shackle hanger would be needed which to make a smother ride. those springs look like my BDS springs i had. i hated them. even with what i thought was a good shackle angle the spring rate was way too stiff and it rode like crap even after i added full length slip pads between each leaf and taking out a leaf. each leaf alone was just too stiff. i’ve come to learn that a spring with more thinner leaves has a better ride. i can’t explain why that is but that’s my experience.

I've had similar issues with tracking and finding the right shackle length. I have an fj60 with a 3b motor and a PO installed a 2" OME lift and replaced the rear shackles with 6" shackles while the front has 3.5" shackles when measured pin to pin. It seems that the extra weight of the 3b and the short shackles in front has caused the leafs to bind and warp so now the right side of the truck hits the bump stops way before the left.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom