Lifted rig Gas Mileage? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi Mudders,

Just curious to hear how much those of you with lifted rigs have suffered in the fuel consumption department over stock figures?

I went from a stock LX on Dunlop Grantreks to a mild 2.5" lift with General Grabber AT2's but same profile as stock Tyre at 275.

My consumption went from around 11.7L/100kms to 14.7L/100kms. I live rurally so can't provide an urban reading and apologies for the measurement not being in miles per gallon.

Basically I lost 3 litres per 100km and I was not expecting it to be that much. I am wondering if something else may be at play...ie dirty plugs?

I only ask because when fuel economy goes from bad to very bad it gets even more pricey to fuel the beast at around $170 Australian dollars per fill.

I wouldn't expect much of a decrease if you simply lifted without drastic weight addition especially with similar sized tires. There is some additional drag being taller but the LC isn't exactly "smooth" when stock either.

I get 10 to 12 miles per gallon on my 2005 old man emu lift with sliders but I only drive like 3 miles to the gym Lotta idling high temperatures in the summer in Texas so I think all those other factors are the biggest difference i'm doing along Highway right and I get about 14 to 15 miles to gallon on premium

By my math:
11.7L/100kms = ~20.1 MPG
14.7L/100kms = ~16.0 MPG​

If my math is correct...

I don't ever recall having maintained 20MPG for any meaningful length of time, lifted or stock.
I'm usually pretty happy if I am seeing 16MPG on the highway, lifted or stock.

(I'd suspect going from p-metric to LT tires (possibly underinflated?) would have more of an impact than the lift.)

2006 (5-speed, VVTi)
Stock: 17 mpg
Lifted, heavy wheels, 33s, bumper/winch: 15.5 mpg
s***s given about the 1.5 mpg: 0 (but then gas is $2.40)

I haven't found tire pressure to make a difference - none. But, speed makes a huge (!) difference. Keep it under 115 kph (70 in 'merican) and the 100 is happy.

I haven't found tire pressure to make a difference - none. But, speed makes a huge (!) difference. Keep it under 115 kph (70 in 'merican) and the 100 is happy.

I'd agree that over-inflating your tires "for a road trip" will probably not make a difference in fuel economy. I'd disagree that significantly under-inflated don't have enough of an increase of rolling resistance to affect mileage. (If you don't believe me, you could always pull your valve cores and go for a ride around the block, but I'm not going to be responsible for any damage that you incur.)

Quite often when we see people on mud switch from p-metric to LT tires, they seem to try the pressure on the door frame (under-inflated) or the max pressure on the tire (over-inflated).

I also agree that cruising speed also has a significant impact on economy.

I'd disagree that significantly under-inflated don't have enough of an increase of rolling resistance to affect mileage. (If you don't believe me, you could always pull your valve cores and go for a ride around the block, but I'm not going to be responsible for any damage that you incur.

Well... sorta thought that went without saying ;) To be clear(er), from my experience... I've seen no impact on fuel consumption when varying the pressure from one end of the accepted range of pressure to the other.

And why the *$#& does the text keep getting smaller?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom