Lifted Lx450 *pics* (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
triplefault.org
Freshly lifted LX450 w/ PICS!

Yes, the lift is on. :grinpimp:

Several hours and 24 beers worth of work and we got it on. No major hitches, but we went slow as hell. The biggest problem was getting the damned shock tower mounting plates off the old shocks. We fooled around for a few minutes and then had an ingenious idea...

ingenious.jpg

Off in seconds. :D But, if you actually want to reuse your old shocks, beware...

brokeshock.jpg

I went ahead with the OME HD kit since I plan on front and rear bumpers and sliders. The truck rides wonderfully! I still need to put the steering dampner on and the caster correction bushings but that will be for another day.

We got finished late so I only have a garage picture for you. There are some before pictures on my website in my signature if you want to see them.

garagelift.jpg

There is only one downside.

close.jpg

That is the top of my roof rack and the garage door. :doh: Guess I won't be parking in the garage after 33"s!

Thanks Casey, Mark, and Bay!

Last edited:
Unless you actually use it ditch the rust breeding POS roof rack.

So you like the ride of the OME heavies on a stock weight truck? I have been considering that route as it will eventually be heavy but not for a wile, caster correction and shock travel come into question though.

You can easily take those center cross bars off like I did. If you don't plan to use the rack but don't want to pull it all off, just take the center bars off. 4 screws on each side rail and two on each cross bar. While you are at it you can check for rust around the nut inserts. Just remember to apply some RTV to the screws treads when you put them back in.

RavenTai said:
So you like the ride of the OME heavies on a stock weight truck? I have been considering that route as it will eventually be heavy but not for a wile, caster correction and shock travel come into question though.

I very much like it. But, let me warn you that I've owned this truck exactly one month, and the whole time it was on OE shocks that were completely shot. Maybe the ride of a good stock suspension is significantly better than the HD, but I don't know. Also, my previous truck was a 1998 Tacoma 4x4 w/ a 2.5" lift (add-a-leaf) and was STIFF. This just feels so good. It is definately a 'firm' ride and I do feel more of the road but it is very driveable.

What is the issue with caster correction and shock travel?

Well with heavies on a stock weight truck you are getting more lift than design, this would imply needing more caster correction and possibly longer shocks. Probably both will be fine somebody who has first hand experience will have a better answer.

Raven's correct on this one...without being weighed down with the HD lift, I think that you might put undue strain on driveline components (specifically, u-joints). This might then reveal any problems that were hiding earlier and might make them worse...ask me how I know (as the saying goes here)...

Best.
-onur
Akron, OH

parabola said:
Guess I won't be parking in the garage after 33"s!

Dont know much about racks but is it not possible to remove that and just put it back when wheeling? Unless it's a pain to remove/replace or it's necessary fixture everyday. Just an .02.

Btw, nice rig.

Regards.

beno said:
Raven's correct on this one...without being weighed down with the HD lift, I think that you might put undue strain on driveline components (specifically, u-joints). This might then reveal any problems that were hiding earlier and might make them worse...ask me how I know (as the saying goes here)...

Best.
-onur
Akron, OH

Ah. Good to know. So far so good mostly. I do hear a slight rumble between 25 and 35mph but it's gone afterwards. No vibration. If worse comes to worse I'll just have to get the bumpers and sliders sooner. :D

Lifted (driveway) pic:

drivewaylifted.jpg

Last edited:
A few years ago, I guy I know put a lift kit on his 80 inside his garage. Only to find out that after he was done, the Cruiser could not get out of the garage. The rack would not clear the garage door opening. To get it out he had to remove air from his tires.

Regards

Alvaro

Cool!, I just added 850J's and 863's to mine last night also!

alvarorb said:
A few years ago, I guy I know put a lift kit on his 80 inside his garage. Only to find out that after he was done, the Cruiser could not get out of the garage. The rack would not clear the garage door opening. To get it out he had to remove air from his tires.

Regards

Alvaro
BWAHAHAHHAAA..... VERY FUNNY TOO FUNNY....whadda dumb ass :D :D
Thanks Alvaro

alvarorb said:

Regards

Alvaro

That's funny Alvaro...when Bailey and I were working on putting my lift in the rig at my mother's house in Atlanta, I too was looking up and wondering...how the heck am I going to get this truck out...Iw asa worried for awhile...then Bailey said if worst came to worst, we'd air the sucker down...phew!

Yeah I believe I will be removing the cross bars as they are the only thing really close to hitting. I don't need the roof rack anyway.

alvarorb said:

Regards

Alvaro

Yup. That happened to me as well. Put the whole thing together to see that I was too tall. It wasn't that there wasn't enough room height-wise, but with the steep drive way, the truck would jack its ass-end up once the front tires left the level garage.

It took airing down and a big neighbor sitting on the tailgate.

alvarorb said:

Regards

Alvaro

Yeah, this is why I don't have my roof rack, or the holes from the roof rack on my truck. Oh they were there but um yeah gone now. Also be aware of old handles in your garage door that hang down further reducing clearance (and acting like a punch!)

Is there a write up on taking the rack off and good ways to fill the holes??

I ran my heavies without added armor for nearly 20,000 miles without issue. And the ARB did not drop my front any measurable amount.

A number of folks have run J-springs without armor. If your junk is busted and ready to fall apart, it might be best to find out driving to work and not on the trail :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom