Lift size for 35's (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm sure this question has been addressed before but I'm having a hard time finding it. I have a 1994 Fzj80 on 35's and am looking to replace the shocks and coils. Currently the lift on the truck is old man emu but I bought the truck after it was lifted so I do not know what springs/coils are on it. Any suggestions on what coils/shocks would be appreciated. Currently I have no winch or aftermarket bumpers, although a small custom front bumper may be coming. I have read that a 2.5 inch lift will clear 35's but it doesn't seem like that is enough. Any good places to order from? Pictures coming soon...

I ran old man emu 2.5" lift with 35's for several years. I had no problems at all.

35s all day! Gotta love huge fenders and solid front axles. Trying this on say a 4Runner or Tacoma is an Act of God (at least to do it right).

If the truck has a lift already and you're already running the tires you want, why are you replacing the shocks and coils?

If the truck has a lift already and you're already running the tires you want, why are you replacing the shocks and coils?
As usual, we can count on you for a purely logical point of view.

If the springs that you have on your truck are OME, they should have a white sticker rapped around one of the coils with the spring P/N printed on it. That sticker is make out of some type of plastic, and it seem to be very durable, even on springs installed awhile ago.

Last edited:
I'm sure this question has been addressed before but I'm having a hard time finding it. I have a 1994 Fzj80 on 35's and am looking to replace the shocks and coils. Currently the lift on the truck is old man emu but I bought the truck after it was lifted so I do not know what springs/coils are on it. Any suggestions on what coils/shocks would be appreciated. Currently I have no winch or aftermarket bumpers, although a small custom front bumper may be coming. I have read that a 2.5 inch lift will clear 35's but it doesn't seem like that is enough. Any good places to order from? Pictures coming soon...

Shop truck on OME 2.5 and 315/17s. Hasn't been stopped by anything in it's tracks yet (except deep snow/slush, need lockers). You will have great handling, no extra height driveline issues, etc (just need to deal with panhard and front caster)

IMG_4246.jpg

I happened to find this FAQ section on Slee which recommends a 5 inch lift to fit 35s.. but pretty much everybody seems on here seems to think 2.5 is sufficient..

Screen Shot 2021-09-17 at 10.08.44 AM.png

Last edited:
I happened to find this FAQ section on Slee which recommends a 5 inch lift to fit 35s.. but pretty much everybody seems on here seems to think 2.5 is sufficient.. is this just legalese or something?

View attachment 2788605
It depends on your intended use. For heavy duty rock crawling, maybe.

I think most here are running 2.5" lift on 35's for the sake of keeping COG lower and less drive line issues. It will clear tires for 99% of applications.

It depends on your intended use. For heavy duty rock crawling, maybe.

I think most here are running 2.5" lift on 35's for the sake of keeping COG lower and less drive line issues. It will clear tires for 99% of applications.
That and the fender wells will swallow a 35 with no problem (correct back spacing is important). 39.5's work with a 4" lift and some trimming.
It's pretty amazing how large the fender openings are on an 80 in comparison to a lot of other "offroad" oriented vehicles.

That and the fender wells will swallow a 35 with no problem (correct back spacing is important). 39.5's work with a 4" lift and some trimming.
It's pretty amazing how large the fender openings are on an 80 in comparison to a lot of other "offroad" oriented vehicles.
I thought the 80 series axles were only strong enough for 37s though?

I thought the 80 series axles were only strong enough for 37s though?
Depends on what you are doing with them. Iceland trucks run huge tires 42"+, a heavy loaded strictly rock crawler might not want to push it past 35's. Know your intended purpose, and really by the time you are thinking 37's or 39's you should be able to make your own determination on what your axles can tolerate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom