Lift Shackle Options? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
What options do I have for shackle lift? All my money went into my 80, and I'm just now getting around to lifting my 60 (money left from incident posted in 80 tech section).

I saw those hinge shackles, but they were pricey. Are they any cheap alternatives? Or what shackles should I just pick up to fit 33's better, shackles to get the ride height back to stock (noticable sag front and rear), or shackles to give some lift but only enough to run 32's?

I when with the SOR 2 1/2 Inch Performance Shackles (#288-81)

I run 33x10.5-15 BFG AT's on stock wheels with no problems. SLIGHT rubbing at full stuff and full lock up front.

Get the 4degree castor correction shim for the front springs though or she'll wander a bit on you. I still need to do this.

why lift with shackles

get you some man a fre add a leafs( the long ones)
i just got a set for my SOA 60 $100. front and rear total

Build your own shackles. 2" by 3/8" barstock and some square tubing, that's what I'm in the process of doing right now.

And do new bushings while you're at it.

so 33's fit with oversized shackles???

Wonder if 35's would fit with a set of longer shackles and a bit of cutting...
Hmm....

1" inch body lift should give you enough height for the 35"s. Not sure on width if 12.5's but just some notes I've made on past info. IIRC it was 'dd113' who recommended the longer shackles and 1" body lift to fit 35"s.

Cahil

The problem with the body lift is that it leaves a gap between the body and the frame. I think that it is very ugly myself, no offense to anyone running one though.

I think that I am going to go with a set of add-a-leafs to some newer OEM springs. That will come this summer.

I have read that shackle reversals help out a bit, although I am not sure why. Sorry to veer off-topic, but what does this do, and why would one do it?

:beer:

1" body lift is minimal and I'm not sure anybody but a purist in the LandCruiser community would see the difference.

Shackle reversal is a one way cut-n-weld move on the front spring hanger (attached to frame). Will improve steering dramtically because the shackle is now trailing the front tire. Bunch of good literature on this and more of a dramtic improvement than other mods.

Haven't done a shackle lift yet but played with it virtually. Suppose to give ~ 4" lift.

Cahil

4" Lift with shackle? Does shackle reversal give lift? And would I need caster plates with a shackle lift? Could I do custom shackles to give more than 1"-2" lift? Or would that mess things up?

Cahil,

You are contradicting yourself. With the link you supplied, reversing the axle is
exactly the wrong thing to do. From what the link said, I think that I'll keep the shackles up front.

In my opinion alkaline747trio, a four inch shackle lift would be overkill, if possible at all. If you applied that much lift to the shackles, I would imagine that caster plates are necessart, although this is not a professional's opinion. I think that with a 1-2" shackle lift, caster plates are not necessary.

Good shackles should compliment good springs, in my opinion.

GLTHFJ60,

Probably, and probably not the last time either I've contradicted myself in simple statements. There's just to much info and detail on front end geometry.

I took a hard look at doing a shackle reversal a while ago and decided against, for various reasons.

Currently running OME, with front springs reversed(moves axle 3/4" forward, 3/8" displaced center pin) and 2 degree *negative* caster shim. It's a little twitch in the front end and more sensitive than normal setup but it's what works for me.

Shackle reversals are for the more adventerous ...

My prefered setup is to have a positive caster and elongated wheel base when the front axle goes into compression.

Shackel reversals will provide the opposite IMHO. Negative caster and shorter wheel base under compression.

Cahil

well, looks like I'll be keeping the shackles in the front. Thanks for the info, cahil. You have been a great help.

alkaline747trio, any words?

The optimus caster parameters are between, .84 and 2.34 degrees, of positive caster.

Apart, I have OME 2.5 Medium Duty suspension, SO, and MAF shackle reversal kit, and I mean Shakle reversal ( I have it, before SO ) is a real great think in performance in 60 series.

Only problem is whe you install the chakle reversal kit front ( caster shims ok ) it lift alone, your TLC 1.5 to 2" and you need to compensate this lift in rear.

I know this is late, but..do the SOR Extreme 3" (Designed for 40, 45, and 55) #288-92 shackles work in the 60 wagon?

I got a set of 2 1/2" HFS shackles from Cool Cruisers - -I really like them. They dont flex/sway the way i have seen some cheaper ones..

Get the MAF add-a-leaves(long ones!). They're cheap and get the job done. You will hate them at first. Makes your truck ride tight and bouncy, but they settle down after a good whupin'. Oh, and they're cheap. Did I mention cheap?

Tapage said:
The optimus caster parameters are between, .84 and 2.34 degrees, of positive caster.

Apart, I have OME 2.5 Medium Duty suspension, SO, and MAF shackle reversal kit, and I mean Shakle reversal ( I have it, before SO ) is a real great think in performance in 60 series.

Only problem is whe you install the chakle reversal kit front ( caster shims ok ) it lift alone, your TLC 1.5 to 2" and you need to compensate this lift in rear.
Where did you get these numbers from??? Most people run more along the lines of 5* caster with larger tires.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom