Lift Recommendations Lexus GX470 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
2004 GX470
Converting the rig to an off road setup and looking at staying under 3" of lift. Seeing a bunch of brands out there (Toytech, Old Man Emu, Icon, Fox, etc). I am looking to make it a capable vehicle but looking to keep as much on-road comfort as I can.
Anyone have a setup they love, or tried one you didn't like due to stiffness or poor quality? A friend of mine has OME heavy spring option on his 98 Land Cruiser and said it was too stiff when driving around town, but he loves OME coil overs.
Thanks in advance.

Seems you and I are in the same boat. Not necessarily looking for superior off road performance. Want the lift but not the stiffness.

key functional lift with gained articulation not just higher from ground.
Good questions.
I've started a spreadsheet on the same, mostly from toytec's site (mostly the coilover options from bilstein 5100 on up through to the boxx CO option.)
interested in OME owner reports here as they're rock-solid and durable plus reliable, but suffer onroad comfort (spring rate choice makes a difference here).

key functional lift with gained articulation not just higher from ground.
Good questions.
I've started a spreadsheet on the same, mostly from toytec's site (mostly the coilover options from bilstein 5100 on up through to the boxx CO option.)
interested in OME owner reports here as they're rock-solid and durable plus reliable, but suffer onroad comfort (spring rate choice makes a difference here).

I have a full OME setup

• Kit Includes:
  • 2 x OME884 Front Coil Springs
    (use OME885 for v8 Trucks)
  • 2 x 90021 Front Struts
  • 2 x 60004 Shocks
  • 2 x OME895 Springs
Also, SPC UCAs. Tires 315/70r17 on TRD Sema wheels
I like the way it rides on- and off- road.

Last edited:
I have a full ToyTec lift. It's the older version they offered with Bilstein 5100s (I think they use BOSS shocks now - but whatever brand their BOSS shocks truly are, I have them on the rear of my Sequioa, and I really like them) and SPC front upper control arms, and I couldn't be any happier with the system! I've not ridden in GXs with other brands of lifts, so I really can't compare. That being said, the on-road / off-road performance of my ToyTec lift is PERFECT!

Other options: Metaltech has some 460 suspension options with Ironman, and you might check with TrailTailor (@reevesci ) for ToughDog options. Both have foam cell offerings which give a nice compliant ride on the street and great performance offload.

I have ran OME on a hilux, FJ40, and an 80. OME does ride stiff but no complaints. For the GX470 I am going to go with Dobinsons twin tube shocks with a progressive rate rear spring. I tow a small trailer so I am going to install Airlift 1000 bags. I looked at Radflo and Icon but do not need (or want) rebuildable shocks and am not desert racing over miles and miles of washboard.

Check out Treatyoak Offroad for Dobinsons info.
Home

My 4Runner currently has the front suspension from a 2014 DC TRD Tacoma, which is perfect...Until I install the C4 lo-pro winch bumper and Warn winch sitting in my garage. I suspect I'll need some stiffer springs at that point. Since I have a V8, and with the winch/bumper, I'm planning on going with the OME 885 (I think) for the front. I already have Icon 'overlander' springs in the back. I know the OMEs will be a little stiffer, but their reputation and durability are outstanding, and I should probably slow down a little bit anyway.

Source3 and Razzman1, am I shooting myself in the foot if I go with something a little more plush? By that I mean, I don't want something that won't hold up to the rocks, washboards, etc.
In other words, it sounds (collectively) that OME do run stiff, but bomb proof. I have heard good things about Toytech and Icon (much higher premium) but if it's so plush that I bottom out, then it doesn't sound worth it. I drive pretty slow through technical stuff, not heavily weighted, and rarely bottom out in my 2017 Subaru Forester (stock 8.7" clearance, but I plus-sized the tires giving me about 9").
Also, I plan to put 33" Geolanders on the GX, sot that'll help I imagine.

I certainly don't consider myself an expert on the matter, and there are others here with much more knowledge than me, but I'll give you my two cents...The OME stuff is generally regarded as very high quality, thoroughly tested equipment. Things that survive well in Australia should be more than adequate here. That being said, they are known for being a little on the stiff side--which may not be a bad thing. I remember a video from Andrew St. Pierre one time talking about the original suspension in a 79 series Land Cruiser that was designed to be a little overly-stiff from the factory, to encourage the owner to slow down over rough terrain. I can't comment on the veracity of the statement, but even if it wasn't Toyota's intention, it's not a bad concept. Going slower over the rough stuff may lead to fewer breakages. As far as the quality of the other kits, I don't think you'd be disappointed Toytech or Icon. I'd call them, tell them exactly what you have and want to get out of your suspension, and they would surely steer you in the right direction. Toytech could probably give you some good advice on OME kits, as they sell them as well.

If you are going to run heavy with a winch, bumper, rear drawer system, tire carrier - expedition type rig - cannot go wrong with OME. I blew a front stabilizer and had an OME replacement the next day (thanks Kurt at CruiserOutfitters).

My 80-series was heavy, OME was perfect.

Source3 and Razzman1, am I shooting myself in the foot if I go with something a little more plush? By that I mean, I don't want something that won't hold up to the rocks, washboards, etc.
In other words, it sounds (collectively) that OME do run stiff, but bomb proof. I have heard good things about Toytech and Icon (much higher premium) but if it's so plush that I bottom out, then it doesn't sound worth it. I drive pretty slow through technical stuff, not heavily weighted, and rarely bottom out in my 2017 Subaru Forester (stock 8.7" clearance, but I plus-sized the tires giving me about 9").
Also, I plan to put 33" Geolanders on the GX, sot that'll help I imagine.

I'm a subaru guy. The GX rides SO differently than any roo. totally different beasts, different platform, different characteristics, different suspension, everything. I've been back and forth with another lifted subaru friend for A LONG TIME on this issue, and wasn't until he got his 18 4r TRD OR and rand a few trails that he got it...

the roo is great and I'd still take my roo over the GX on dirt/gravel or snow, hands down< BUT otherwise off road and on camping trips long haul road trips and even DD the GX is SOOOOOO MUCH MORE SUPERIOR!

that said, the GX, lifted, I think don't concern yourself as much with plush. I'm wrestling with this myself (not lifted but heavily researching).
Coming from my lifted modded roos, the out of the box capability in the GX is quite a bit more than i could ever do maxing out my roo. As such, prepping the GX is another scale.

I REALLY like the GX's ride tuning feature and would like to keep that as long as possible, but any real lift will negate that. From what MANY have told me, any entry or moderate lift will perform like full sport mode or depending, a little stiff unloaded. So factor in a loaded rig into your lift/spring choice... you have WAY more payload capacity in the GX and setting it up unlaiden will, to a degree, shoot yourslef in the foot.

What I've come up with is the bilstein 5100 is just a little shy of good for a GX. Its great for 4R but the GX is heavier, so what people have said is unloaded it's great and as a coil over can be adjusted through a few lift heights.

I'm hearing a great entrly lift is the bilstein 6112/5160 Billstein), then toytek has a self branded one that I think is comperable to the 5100 level, maybe The 6112/5160 Billstein. Then they offer the Boss coilover. I'm leaning towards that (if/when I go for it\). That will allow for a leveling lift in front until I do the rear (as my airbags are still great). and can be lifted a little more with a rear coil.

I've read some good threads, participated in a couple and started one here too. I was initially striking convo on different lifts but also, as an interim measure, anylizing the merpuckmerits of a puck spacer. i know I know, that's a hack and much less functional than a real lift, BUT if it can afford a little skid lift from the ground w/o compromising suspension travel it's fine by mne for a little while. ANyhoo, that's a WHOLE other conversation.

The dobsons and like are cool but a maintenance set-up, OME, rock solid and a little rough when unloaded. toytec and coilovers (6112/5160 Billstein and boss) sound pretty dang good for the GX, 5100 may be a little light.

future considerations may be important too when laying down the coin. Are bumpers, winch, sliders, full steel skids, RTT, tire carier, blahblahblah expedition bling on the radar? a lift is something you want to cry once for and not have to swap out and upgrade the upgrade. I forget which, but you can pick spring rates based on load/mass and researching that may help guide your direction as @Source3 indicated. If it's just a sub 3" lift an OME-style shock/spring lift may be the ticket, or a more mid-line entry coilover kit like the Bilstein 6112/5160 or boss (or like).

I know it's mostly opinion and based on research and others' experiences but that's $0.02 along the lines for your inquiry. I hope it helps and brings you other questions to ask. This is a complicated and confusing road to hoe, but Mud IS the community to flesh out these issues/concerns!

ciao!

(*EDIT* corrected bilstein 6500 to The 6112/5160 Billstein setup throughout)

Last edited:
Each individual use, vehicle modification and ride preferences are different it make it very difficult to recommend one specific kit to suit a certain individual's need. Tire are also integral part of suspension. One suspension kit might work well with load range e tires and the other feels bone jarring.

I know most people don't like adjustable suspension due to complexity but for me I always prefer having adjustable suspension. I build my vehicles slowly. The weight from modification changes, the load you carry for vacation are totally different then when you use the truck for daily driving.

So far it seems there are only a few that might fit my need without changing spring and shock valving every time
  1. Tough dog 40 mm adjustable. I think this have fixed spring seat so not height adjustable up front. Trail Taylor is the dealer. Cost about $1250-1400 shipped. Adjuster are very easy to reach and no tools needed.
  2. Terrain tamer. Cruiser Brothers is the dealer. Very minimal review that I could find. There is only one person in GXOR that just install a set a few months ago. No idea on cost. Only lift about 1-1/4 to 1-1/2". No idea on spring choice. Adjuster is on the remote reservoir. It seems you need to figure out the mount yourself. No bracket are included.
  3. OME BP-51, 3" lift. This would still my first choice performance wise since it's both compression and rebound adjustable plus it have internal bypass. A pain in the butt to adjust. Cost about $2800

Last edited:
Do you have any pics?

I have a full OME setup

• Kit Includes:
  • 2 x OME884 Front Coil Springs
    (use OME885 for v8 Trucks)
  • 2 x 90021 Front Struts
  • 2 x 60004 Shocks
  • 2 x OME895 Springs
Also, SPC UCAs. Tires 315/70r17 on TRD Sema wheels
I like the way it rides on- and off- road.

Did you put a lift in yet? I just put in a full Dobinsons 2" lift, coilovers, rear srings and comfort ride shocks in the rear. Rides like the sport setting on the original suspension setting. It is really nice for a daily driver. I'm heading up to mosquito pass next weekend to stretch it out. The spring options are endless.

can anyone give the quick tips for removing the shock damper control module that sits on top of the front shock stud?
emoji_u1f914.png

Unscrew outside with Allen key. Turn the bracket and unscrew other side. If it strips grab some pliers and turn the bolt. It's awkward but vice grips work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom