Lift rear of body off of frame? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I need to do a little rust proofing and sanding on
my rear cross member and frame. I would like to
detach my body from the frame in the rear (FJ40) and
lift the body up about 1 or 2" so that I can sand
and paint. Is there any way to do this? I don't want
to somehow "kink" my body.

I'll probably replace the body mount bushings at the
rear at the same time -- and will remove all of the
bushings and bolts from the running board back.

This is my daily driver so I have to start on
Friday afternoon and be back on the road Monday
morning -- so taking the tub all the way of is not
an option.

i would think that this could be completed in your time frame..one would have to loosen the bolts in all the body mounts to give enough "play" to raise the rear of the body..you could lift it using some 2x4s placed across the rear underside of the body and jacking at a central point so that you lifted all at once...not sure about keepeing everything square...

osagecruiser

Thanks. I'm trying to think of the things I need to watch as I'm lifing
-- wiring, gas lines ...

What yr 40 you got? I know the later models have the gas tank under the tub and not sure if that will get in your way.

I just did this on my '76 with Aqualu tub. Pretty easy but main issue was watching the tub fitment to the front cowl as that is the main connection on mine between body and front section. You can easily deform the tub or cowl if you aren't careful. You may need to loosen or remove tranny hump also as that joins the tub to the cowl also.

I'd do all the body mount at the same time as you would only have to do this again when you replace them. I recall seeing a site/article where one of the vendors described how to do this with the tub on the frame. Let me do some looking........

AndrewT

I would keep the transmission hump in place for strength to help it from bending at the cowl. If the gas tank is inside the tub I would make sure it was almost empty for weight reasons. loosen the fenders from the tub and trame so they have some movement. Unhook the hood so it can slide. remove the clamp that holds the steering column at the dash. If you have a hard top on it I would keep it on, it will help hold things inplace.

Thanks for all the suggestions. Currently I am topless, putting body bolts and working on the
frame of a '68. No top right now. Didn't think about the fenders or the steering column --
both great ideas.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom