Lift paralysis by analysis!!!! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm ready to pull the trigger on installing a lift on my 1996 fj80. I want to get the highest clearance without having to worry about brake lines or drive shafts. I plant to install an ARB front with a winch and hopefully a rear with a tire carrier. I will also have a roof basket. I plant to run 35" BFG's on stock wheels. what lift kit would you install? Not planning on doing a lot of off roading that would require large amounts of travel.

Agreed, 3" is as high as you want to go then. At the same time, if you are still running the original brake lines, you seriously should think about replacing them now. I have seen many threads about these starting to deteriorate and really, the cost to upgrade is not that big a deal. There is a thread on buying extended lines from toyota that are plug and play.

Depends on the budget. OME is a little old-school by today's standards, but fits your description perfectly (I would go with 850/860 combo or 850j/863 combo). The Slinky 50mm is awesome, but kinda pricey. Dobinsons has multiple options that would suit that usage. Tough dog is a solid option as well.

Not that this will help with the analysis paralysis (my wife suffers from this disease as well), but read the suspension FAQ from top to bottom and see if you're any more confused :flipoff2:

Slinky 2" and done - I've got the slinky 3" and would not be confident running the stock brake lines, at max droop all round (unlikely to happen except on the hoist but still...) The brake lines are the limiting straps.

So what are you planning on doing with the rig?

For what it's worth, this is 3" slinky intermediate, 315s - sorry for the bad photo...
20190309_173531.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: RFB
OME is a tried and true cost-effective name brand solution. I ran a J set up on my 80 and was really happy with it. either of the below options is sub 1K..

Contact Cruiser Outfitters.... @cruiseroutfit

Part# OME80HL
Part# OME80J
Can you tell me what is different about the J setup?

Agreed, 3" is as high as you want to go then. At the same time, if you are still running the original brake lines, you seriously should think about replacing them now. I have seen many threads about these starting to deteriorate and really, the cost to upgrade is not that big a deal. There is a thread on buying extended lines from toyota that are plug and play.
I will take you advice and replace the lines since its a minimal cost!

+1 I just replaced my original brake lines with Slee's kit and they were grimy and cracking. After installing the SS braided lines, I've got a firmer pedal too. My truck already had the extended chassis lines, but I'd highly recommend those too. A 3" lift will definitely require it. Total cost just isn't that much more when you're looking at doing a lift, and it's necessary.

+1 I just replaced my original brake lines with Slee's kit and they were grimy and cracking. After installing the SS braided lines, I've got a firmer pedal too. My truck already had the extended chassis lines, but I'd highly recommend those too. A 3" lift will definitely require it. Total cost just isn't that much more when you're looking at doing a lift, and it's necessary.
I assume you would need to replace both the frame to axle and axle to caliper kits?

Part: STF1008 - $99.00
3 Piece Frame to Axle Kit (+4")

Part: STF1021 - $130.00
4 Piece Axle to Caliper Kit

True. Even just throwing a set of 33's on an otherwise stock 80 will make it look a little tougher and will get you through any mild off road and most moderate off road use.

If you're not going off-road, stick with stock height, or max 2" lift.

You can run a 33" tire at stock height. Every 1" of lift, your potential problems multiply.

IMG_20180716_150412.jpg

Here's mine on Fraser island, 25yr old saggy springs, 305/70 16 33" tire. No issues.

I concur with others, stick with the 2" lift. The OME 2.5" of lift nets you 3" of lift which opens up Pandora's box of issues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom