lift options help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
hey
im in a bit of a bind here..... my 60 is in dire need of a lift....as a result of being dual fuel the gas and petrol tanks are both fairly low and im hitting them all the time..... i cant afford all new gear but will be getting new shocks....i cant seem to find any lifted springs cheap so im starting to think maybe just go for longer shackles.... tho i have been told that i un the risk of snapping springs doing that. i only need 2 inches or so... any advice is appreciated

I ran shackles that were 11" eye to eye for years with no problems (lots of off road use). I sold the truck but still see it around town. Still has the same shackles. For the rear, the shackles should do what you want them too. You don't want to go crazy on the front because you'll be messing with your castor angle.

Have you considered Add-A-Leafs?

Sounds like your current springs may be old and tired. Not the best option, but certainly cost effective. Search around to get an impression of what you're getting into. If your rig is anything like mine, count on new bushings.

Have you considered Add-A-Leafs?

Sounds like your current springs may be old and tired. Not the best option, but certainly cost effective. Search around to get an impression of what you're getting into. If your rig is anything like mine, count on new bushings.

I just put on add-a-leafs and extended shackles on tired old springs. The add-a-leafs are Heckethorn/Rough Country I got from JC Whitney. They gave it a little lift but not a lot. The shackles were Dick Cepek 3" over that I got off of eBay. I definitely needed new bushings. Got them from Spector. Spector has a huge assortment of bushings. The shackles I got would allow me to use the stock bushings even if they hadn't already been shot. All-in-all, I have about $200 bucks wrapped up in it. Found some good wheels/tires on Craigslist on the cheap too. Maybe someday after I get all of the kids through skewl, I will be able to afford some cool stuff but for now, I'm pinching pennies. :meh:

So, what length shackles do folks reckon you can go with in the back and especially in the front, without messing up the steering geometry, etc too much?

I just put on add-a-leafs and extended shackles on tired old springs. The add-a-leafs are Heckethorn/Rough Country I got from JC Whitney. They gave it a little lift but not a lot. The shackles were Dick Cepek 3" over that I got off of eBay. I definitely needed new bushings. Got them from Spector. Spector has a huge assortment of bushings. The shackles I got would allow me to use the stock bushings even if they hadn't already been shot. All-in-all, I have about $200 bucks wrapped up in it. Found some good wheels/tires on Craigslist on the cheap too. Maybe someday after I get all of the kids through skewl, I will be able to afford some cool stuff but for now, I'm pinching pennies. :meh:
so approximatly how much of a lift did u get with the shackles and add a leaf?

Old Man Emus have come down in price and although they are not exactly cheap, I feel they are the best available at any price. Check with Cruiser Outfitters.

So, what length shackles do folks reckon you can go with in the back and especially in the front, without messing up the steering geometry, etc too much?

As per the Spector Off Road website: When a vehicle is lifted using an extended shackles, the steering caster angle changes from the stock -1 deg. angle. This creates undue wear on steering components (Knuckle Bearings, Tie Rod Ends, Steering Box). You may also notice your vehicle wander or follow grooves in the road (under inflated tires and other worn steering components will also cause wandering). This problem can be corrected by using Caster Spring Shims. In vehicles with V-8 and or automatic transmission conversions that require the rear drive shaft to be shortened, Caster Spring Shims can help relieve stress on U-joints by rotating the rear pumpkin up. Sold in pairs.

Caster Spring Shims rotate the axle back to a stock tolerance:
Shackle
Shim
1"-1 1/2" longer than stock
2.5 degree
2"-2 1/2" longer than stock
4.0 degree
3" & longer
6.0 degree

Here is the link: Specter Off-Road-Land Cruiser Parts - Page 287-Suspension

Users who are viewing this thread

Back