Lift kits on a budget (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 74 fj40 and want to get a 4inch kit. My budget sucks so i am looking for a cheap kit but dont want to buy something that will break. I found a company called Hell Creek Susupensions. They make a 4 inch kit that runs about 450 or so and includes everything. I was wondering if anyone has heard about this company. I also was looking at rough country but i have been told by woody that they are junk. Any comments?

Thanks Charlie...
My cruiser is at www.personal.psu.edu/cml216

Hey please email me if possible or instant message me with replys

Get the Skyjacker 4" lift. You can get pretty good deals on it. Personally, I went SOA.

I agree with fsusteve, wait and go with a better lift, it is better to do it right the first time. I was going to go with a Skyjacker but spent some more and got a 4" BDS. I am so pleased with it. Skyjacker will be stiffer and is not designed for the hard top. Also, several years ago I had a rough country lift on a jeep and it was plain junk that broke-do not recomend it.

So, is BDS or Safari(Manafre) considered better than Skyjacker? I definitely would pay more if I knew one was a more cush ride, but OME is simply not worth the $$ to me.

I looked into several 4" lifts before I did mine. I found the BDS and Skyjacker to be very similar in appearance. It would be difficult to tell them apart if all the markings were removed.

I chose the BDS, just because of the warranty. I ended up only paying about $635 without shocks. I wanted to do shocks separatly any way. There is a shop in the NE that seems to have good prices http://www.elias4wdcenter.com/ They are primarliy a Jeep place, but he is a BDS dist.

I really like the lift. The ride on road is good and it flexes well off-road. I have only had it flexed up a couple of times, so I think it will get even better. I may have to look into other shock mounts if the flex contiues to improve. I already fully extend the 29.5" DT shocks I have.

TPI sells a nice 4" kit that usually goes on sale in December.

I gave $680 for springs (mine say OME on them) shocks (black diamond) and anti-inversion shackles and bushings.

[quote author=CruisinGA I wouldn't waste money on OME, anything less than custom Alcan leafs or SOA are not going to ride great, they are leaf springs for goodness sake.

I LOVE this.

You own one truck, have had one suspension under your butt, and you are in a position to say what again about these brands?

Please.... :rolleyes:

OME-Waste of money...and you have how much time in a truck with this suspension set up, installed correctly?

Whatever boy...

Poser-No reason to flame Bailey for offering his opinion to the question. Skyjacker is the most commonly purchased SUA suspension for cruisers and it's generally low cost makes it more attractive than OME. I have ridden on almost every type of suspension out there, and although I do like OME and some SOA setups, I think for the limited mechanical ability of most owners, skyjacker is not a bad route to go.

[quote author=fsusteve link=board=1;threadid=7110;start=msg59497#msg59497 date=1068086446]
Poser-No reason to flame Bailey for offering his opinion to the question. Skyjacker is the most commonly purchased SUA suspension for cruisers and it's generally low cost makes it more attractive than OME. I have ridden on almost every type of suspension out there, and although I do like OME and some SOA setups, I think for the limited mechanical ability of most owners, skyjacker is not a bad route to go.
[/quote]

Substantiate the claims, that is what I am asking for, and if a person has no real first hand time with said products, not just suspension, but anything, then adding an opinion on something that you do not know anything about, only perpetuates this form of mis-information known as the internet.

a couple of days ago a guy posted he did a SOA for like 17 bucks or somthing like that might as well check that out i mean thats lunch money...plus its bigger than 4 inches

[quote author=Poser link=board=1;threadid=7110;start=msg59508#msg59508 date=1068087437]
Substantiate the claims, that is what I am asking for, and if a person has no real first hand time with said products, not just suspension, but anything, then adding an opinion on something that you do not know anything about, only perpetuates this form of mis-information known as the internet.
[/quote]
Just because I only own the Skyjacker, does not mean that I haven't ever ridden in another rig, or talked to other owners about their rigs and setups. I'm sure we've all commented on products etc, that we do not own. If I had never heard anything negative about OME I wouldn't have said anything. I don't want someone to have a bad experience with an expensive product that I have heard does not live up to its price. Not to mention he stated he is on a budget. Thats cool to question what I say, I just don't see that need to be a dick about it, just ask why I say what I say and I will happily tell you. If you don't like what I say, so be it. I did state that I had never had any experience with the BDS, hence the fact that I did not blindly state the skyjacker was better than the BDS. Nor did I comment on the TPI, which I have little experience with. I would have thought that these statements or omissions would have inferred that I realize that I am not the suspension know it all god.
I was simply trying to cut the crap and get to the point. Just because I don't own 20 rigs and haven't experimented with every setup under the sun doesn't mean that I don't have the information needed to comment on a product.

[quote author=CruisinGA link=board=1;threadid=7110;start=msg59543#msg59543 date=1068090390]
Just because I only own the Skyjacker, does not mean that I haven't ever ridden in another rig, or talked to other owners about their rigs and setups. I'm sure we've all commented on products etc, that we do not own. If I had never heard anything negative about OME I wouldn't have said anything. I don't want someone to have a bad experience with an expensive product that I have heard does not live up to its price. Not to mention he stated he is on a budget. Thats cool to question what I say, I just don't see that need to be a dick about it, just ask why I say what I say and I will happily tell you. If you don't like what I say, so be it. I did state that I had never had any experience with the BDS, hence the fact that I did not blindly state the skyjacker was better than the BDS. Nor did I comment on the TPI, which I have little experience with. I would have thought that these statements or omissions would have inferred that I realize that I am not the suspension know it all god.
I was simply trying to cut the crap and get to the point. Just because I don't own 20 rigs and haven't experimented with every setup under the sun doesn't mean that I don't have the information needed to comment on a product.
[/quote]

Should have considered the source from the start...

My bad :rolleyes:

[quote author=fsusteve link=board=1;threadid=7110;start=msg59497#msg59497 date=1068086446]
Skyjacker is the most commonly purchased SUA suspension for cruisers and it's generally low cost makes it more attractive than OME. I have ridden on almost every type of suspension out there, and although I do like OME and some SOA setups, I think for the limited mechanical ability of most owners, skyjacker is not a bad route to go.
[/quote]

Might be slow here, or a little thinking impared, but do not see the relationship between a limited mechanical ability of an owner, and picking a suspension system for a truck that is sprung under, which is what you are comparing here right?

I have not said anything negative about skyjacker. I wanted to know how a person that does not own something, and has not ever used it, can say it costs too much. Talking negativly about a product, weather it is cost, perfomance, or anything, and not having first hand expierence with it, in my book, is BS. But, other people do not see it that way, which is no big deal, again, I should have just considered the source, and not said anything...

I would love to have a OME suspension under my rig but for the price I can buy 2 of any other suspension kit out there.

The subject was Lift Kits on a BUDGET...look! it's right up there! ::)

Jeez, if you really think its such B.S. then I'll just remove it.
I have said nearly the exact same thing probably 20 other times in other lift threads on this and other boards, and no one ever shot it down like you. Maybe I am the source of all misinformation.

[glow=red,2,300]Public Notice: Don't ever listen to me again as I have been known to comment on products that I do not own.[/glow] :ban: ::)

[quote author=Poser link=board=1;threadid=7110;start=msg59598#msg59598 date=1068094844]
Might be slow here, or a little thinking impared, but do not see the relationship between a limited mechanical ability of an owner, and picking a suspension system for a truck that is sprung under, which is what you are comparing here right?
[/quote]

What I was refering to was the simplicity of SUA with a set of leaf springs, that be installed by almost anyone that can change their oil or tune their truck. SOA however, involves turning knuckles, pinion angles, steering geometry and a host of other things that may have to be farmed out by someone hence adding cost, hence not within everyone's budget constraints. I have found Bailey's posts to be quite informative, especially considering his age. The reason I use this board is because of the friendliness of the users and the contributions that most of them make. I as many others, are here to learn and assist when we can, if I wanted to see flaming then I'd hang out at some other boards.

Spend good money on a bad system like my PO did and you'll hate yourself, I can't stand the way my 40 rides. I'm going to save my pennies and put an ome system on sometime after the first of the year, and I'll never have to monkey with or worry about suspension again. Just MHO

Guess people missed the budget thing :slap: I'm in a similar situation and so far skyjacker looks the best SUA option on a budget. I called skyjacker about the hard top issue and they said that adding an add-a-leaf to each of their rear spring packs will solve any sagging issues. It's not goin to be the best out there from what i understand but not bad enough that the extra 600 odd dollars seems worth it for OME. Ive read a lot of posts concerning springs and the people that have skyjacker seem pleased enough. Id rather have a decent lift and money for the endless number of other things that these rigs need. :cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom