Lift kit recommendations (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

merbesfield

SILVER Star
Threads
I know there is a ton of info on lift kits and I also know the recommendations are very subjective, but at the risk of causing me more confusion than I already have... Could I get some lift kit recommendations? Here is what we have. I have two 100 series cruisers. Mine is an 05, my daughters is an 02. Admittedly, we do little to no wheeling. This is for looks mostly as we live in Atlanta, GA and about the only wheeling we do is in traffic. I do hope to get more off road eventually. That being said, I don't want to spend the money on a kit that will make the trucks drive like crap. I have read so many posts where guys have complained about the rough ride after installing a lift kit. I installed an OME kit in my 40 and everyone said this kit would make a big difference. Well, let's just say it still drives like a tractor. So I don't want to have a repeat. But, as I said, I am NOT willing to spend big bucks for what amounts to a look. I do plan on adding front bumper and winch, again, not needed but wanted. Thanks for your advice.

My advice is NOT to add a suspension kit until you have your plans for each truck figured out. The weight and use for the truck will have an impact on the suspension choice and the resulting ride. As an example, I have two '99 100s, both with OME kits, one with the "medium" kit and the other one with a heavy-duty kit. The one with the medium kit is almost bone stock, and it rides nicely with its suspension kit, much better than stock. The one with the heavy-duty kit is heavily modified (front bumper, rear bumper, winch, swingouts, roof rack, sidebars) and is usually heavily loaded (up to 1,000 bags of farm feed a couple of times). It actually rides BETTER than the other one when loaded, because the suspension is pretty dialed to the modifications.

I agree with @Trunk Monkey - keep it stock. If you go a bit larger with the tires, crank the TBs up slightly, drop the running boards... It'll look like a Land Cruiser.

(I should've been counting how many times I've posted this pic)
Screen Shot 2019-09-17 at 7.20.13 PM.png

Both of these 100s are stock. Mine (left) has the TBs cranked .75", stock in rear - no spacer; ditched the fender stickers and running boards. Tires are 275/70/18s BFGs

This is AWESOME news. I wondered if this was doable. And it looks like it totally is. Fortunately, we don't have the fender flairs to deal with and removing the running boards is definitely on the to-do list. I have already cranked on the TB's some to remove the old age droop. @Manhattan @Trunk Monkey pic above is exactly the look I want, including the tire choice. btw, I see you too are in ATL. What is the front in measurement I should shoot for? If I add the rear spacer, will the front go up high enough to compensate for the added rear height? What are the desired measurements? What size spacer do I add to the rear and who sells those? Thanks guys.

I agree with the others - you’d be wasting money on a “lift”, particularly because 99% of the available kits aren’t really lifts. Just higher spring rates with the same travel as stock. New Toyota shocks + 30mm spacers in the rear + slightly crank TBs will retain ride quality while netting you the “lift” that most kits provide...

I'd do it in steps - do the tires and running boards and see how it looks. 275/70/18s fit a stock 100. If the adjustment you already made to the TBs got'er back to stock, crank a bit more. But keep in mind, these trucks like some rake - do NOT crank the front so much that the truck sits level. It will ride like absolute #$&@.

I don't have rear spacers - so, can't help there. I kept the pictured setup for a couple years... then ripped everything out and went to a new system. Kinda miss that stock truck ;)

Can someone recommend tire size for the 02 LC with 16" wheels? I am sure I can search it up, but if someone knows....

I will proceed in steps as you mention. My 05 probably needs shocks as it has 240K on it, but my daughter's 02 only has 150K so may not need them. But I know stock shocks are cheap so not an issue either way. This is exciting.

Can someone recommend tire size for the 02 LC with 16" wheels? I am sure I can search it up, but if someone knows....

I will proceed in steps as you mention. My 05 probably needs shocks as it has 240K on it, but my daughter's 02 only has 150K so may not need them. But I know stock shocks are cheap so not an issue either way. This is exciting.
285/75r16 or 255/85r16

In ATL traffic you prolly don’t want any taller. Already not gonna be shooting into any gaps. my 305/65s on a 4 speed 02 are like dragging a boulder on I 85.

In ATL traffic you prolly don’t want any taller. Already not gonna be shooting into any gaps. my 305/65s on a 4 speed 02 are like dragging a boulder on I 85.

So are these sizes safe to not cause dragging boulder effect?

285/75r16 or 255/85r16 per @JunkCrzr89 above.

What would be the reason for using one or the other of these two choices?

285/75r16 or 255/85r16
Personal preference and driving conditions. 285s are shorter but wider, 255s are taller but narrower.

So sort of an aesthetic subjective and what you want it to look like and drive like. I did see where some folks said the taller skinnier tires felt more nimble and slightly twitchy until they got use to them. I wish there were not so many different threads and just a thread for particular size pics.

So sort of an aesthetic subjective and what you want it to look like and drive like. I did see where some folks said the taller skinnier tires felt more nimble and slightly twitchy until they got use to them. I wish there were not so many different threads and just a thread for particular size pics.
Similar to the 40 series discussions about 33 x 10.50 x 15 and 235/85R16 versus 33 x 12.50 x15, etc. The 40s with manual steering drive much better (and easier) with the tall skinny tires than the fat tires.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom