Lift Kit 100 vs 470 with ACH (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
If I was to buy a 100 and plan on a lift kit right away, would it be better to just get a 470 with ACH and raise it up or is it better long term to get a 100 and lift it?

ps: I thought I had my shopping choise down to a '97 FZJ80 or a 2000 100 but was told today about the 470 and ACH. Now I have to start my research all over again:doh:

If you use AHC in high, you'll have to get an aftermarket AHC controller to keep it in high. Otherwise, it goes into normal mode at a certain speed. Slee now makes an inexpensive controller, BBanks also makes one, etc. You can go one step further and get a 2" keepslant lift kit for AHC, so you can have a 2" lift with the AHC in normal mode and get another 2" with AHC in high.

One nice thing about the AHC is you get a 2" lift when you need it offroad, but can drive in normal w/o lift on streets for better fuel economy/handling. The other nice feature is the adjustable damping. The sport mode damping allows you to corner as if you had a much stiffer suspension, then you can dial it down to comfort for a cushy, Caddie-like ride on rough straightaways and don't have to suffer the pounding as you would with a stiff offroad suspension. I'd try it to see how you like it. While shopping for a LC, I didn't know much about the AHC and didn't care, but I ended up w/ a LX (price was the same as the LC and w/ fewer miles) and find I like the AHC and adaptive damping.

Last edited:
Is the info I got about the better year to get in the 100 is 2000 or newer do to the "Front differential was changed from a 2 pinion to a 4 pinion unit" the same for the 470?

yep, the 100 is pretty much the same. the LX is a trim line in most other countries. Toyota would get rid of the LC here like they did in canada but it has the most loyal of following in the US. If you are willing to invest a little more I think you will find the upgrades in the LX to be quite nice, but also more expensive to maintain electronically. the Model years 2000 and 2003 are considered prime years, best improvements least defects. there are several threads on here about the differences. Core Difference is Lexus service and support. Most LX's are maintained at a dealer and tend to have complete service histories, which I have not found on many LC's. 2uz-fe is the same engine in both.

Here's the thread about lifting the AHC: https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=60848

Looks pretty straight forward. Plus now Slee has the over-ride for 50 bucks or something.

I have AHC on my LC ('06). I'm a little concerned about reliability. Any issue with it and you could be stuck with no clearance when you need it most. But this is just paranoia - I don't know of any data or reports about suspension failures.

I really like the ride dampening but it's just a luxury.

I'd be interested to know how many people are using the AHC lift. Are there any down sides or long term issues??

Looked at the prices of the 2000+ 470 and they are a bit more $$$$$ that I have to spend at this time.
I hope the old 80 holds out another year or so so the price of the 470 will drop and hopefully I will have more $$$$$.

Looked at the prices of the 2000+ 470 and they are a bit more $$$$$ that I have to spend at this time.
I hope the old 80 holds out another year or so so the price of the 470 will drop and hopefully I will have more $$$$$.

Just wait for gas prices to top $3/gal. Remember it always climbs in the spring due to refinery shutdowns from changing seasonal mixtures. Also you have tensions in the Persian Gulf now, which has driven the price up $5/barrel already and will only increase more in the future.

I know the price of gas will cut the price of the SUV but I now drive 126 mi round trip to work every day in the 80 @ 13 mpg.
I think the 470 might get a tad better mpg but the cost of premo gas will eat that saving up fast. I need diesel 100/470

Just wait for gas prices to top $3/gal. Remember it always climbs in the spring due to refinery shutdowns from changing seasonal mixtures. Also you have tensions in the Persian Gulf now, which has driven the price up $5/barrel already and will only increase more in the future.

Wait? We're already there:mad:

I know the price of gas will cut the price of the SUV but I now drive 126 mi round trip to work every day in the 80 @ 13 mpg.
I think the 470 might get a tad better mpg but the cost of premo gas will eat that saving up fast. I need diesel 100/470

no. you will not see better than 13 if you live in a hilly area. but you will pay for premium.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom