Lift installed with pics on Diesel 80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am always taking info from the forum, so I thought I'd take a few moments to contribute. I completed installing my lift this weekend. OME 850 (heavies) on the front and 863 (heavies) on the rear. Front Steering Damper. Already had some Rancho 9000's on there so left those in. I have 285/75/16's on the vehicle and installed 1.5" spacers a few months ago for a wider track.

Total time invested: 4 hours - and I am not a wrench -
Tips for anyone considering-
1. buy a good penetrating oil and apply a week in advance - this was a life saver
2. use min 3 tonne jackstands and have 2x8's available for more clearance
3. get a 20 tonne hydralic jack- fast up and down - way better than the stock crappy jacks
4. Be ready to use some heat to get the steering damper off
5. don't even bother trying to do this alone. So much easier with a friend on hand

I have not installed castor yet, but will do in the next couple of weeks when time permits. My cruiser is a 1990 Japanese Diesel, so I figured heavies up front, and I am always carrying big bikes on the back and have drawers, so heavies on the rear too. General impressions - Wow what a difference. Even though the rear's were 2.5 lift, it actually raised the truck 4" in the back and 1" in the front. It had a mystery lift in in beforehand. As for ride quality, feels more confident. Was less bob on the trails and the raised rear changed the angle of the truck so much I had to change my seat settings. Feels more aggressive !

Here are some pics- I was so excited to install i forgot to do b4 pics, so I took some of a stocker parked nearby for comparison

Kurt from Cruiser Outfitters sent me the gear. Always like to plug gents for great service and prices. Thanks Kurt!
IMG_5160.jpg
IMG_5161.jpg
IMG_5162.jpg

Yeah, I think I got 4" out of my 2.5" springs too! I was pleasently surprised.

Great job, Looks Great too.

Definitely do the CC bushings, it will make a world of difference in handling. BTW that steering stabilizer would have come off easily with a pickle fork.

Really? It was in there good.Tapered with a balljoint on one side. That took the longest time. Hammers, heat, c-clamp. I wonder if the Japanese spec is the same as NA.

I'll get on the castor this weekend then. Thanks for the tip. Also noticed some squeaking out of the back so got to adjust the rear e-brake cable now.

How large of tires you gents think I should go for now... 315's or 305's? My rims are 16x8

I went with 34x12.5x16" Interco Trxus on my HDJ81 with the factory 16x8 rims. 33's would be a bit small and I could fit 35's but the 34's were a wonderful middle-of-the-road solution. I have no intention of regearing, and the automatic transmission helps with that. It's not quite as "fast" as it was on 31's but it's a hell of a lot balls-ier than my '85 pickup on 37's...

And to answer your question, a ball joint or tie rod seperator (pickle fork) would remove the steering stabilizer no problem. That's what it's for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom