lift for FJ80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
hey guys im in need of some help here, i've got a 1992 80 series than im wanting to put a OME lift on. should i get the medium duty 2" lift or the heavy duty 3" lift, are there any problems associated with the 3" that wont happen with the 2"? is the castor kit absolutely necessary? thanks a ton ???

All depends on what you plan on doing with it and what mods you have on it (ARB bumper, winch, swing out tire carrier). Those items can add up in weight, plus cargo. All things to take into consideration.

As I understand it, to remain safe, caster correction is necessary.

Also - I'm sure you'll get some input on here about which set up is best but if you contact the folks at sleeoffroad.com (no vested interest yadda yadda) they will help you determine which set up is best based on your current/future plans for the rig.

Jason

cool thanks for the replies! it will be off-roaded maybe twice a month and has no ARB bar and no mods that would weigh the front down except for a light brushguard that will probably be removed if i got a lift.but my main question is, is there any major difference between the heavy duty 2" and the heavy duty 3" lift?

[quote author=carsonmac link=board=2;threadid=11696;start=msg106572#msg106572 date=1077074433]
difference between the heavy duty 2" and the heavy duty 3" lift?
[/quote]

1 inch!
Sorry, couldn't resist. :beer:

The more you lift, the more components you may have to modify. For example, brake lines. I'm not sure at what point this comes into play.

This topic has been covered a few too many times.

>> should i get the medium duty 2" lift or the heavy duty 3" lift, <<

>> ... is there any major difference between the heavy duty 2" <<
>> and the heavy duty 3" lift? <<

First you need to get up to speed on these vehicles. Next you need to get up to speed on the components involved in a lift. Then you need to be very specific on your near-term, mid-term, and long range plans for the truck. Then post back here with some meaningful questions and you'll get lots of opinions.

The 851/860 combo is generally considered to be the "medium." If you enjoy camping and pack all the stuff for a week in the boonies then you'll regret the 860's in the rear. If you took out the 3rd row, don't have a rear bumper, don't have an aux tank, no rear drawers, and don't carry tools or spares when wheeling, then you'll regret the 864's in the rear ("heavy.")

These are the two extremes and you're likely somewhere in between but we're not omnipotent so you have to give us something to base a recommendation.

-B-

I ran the medium duty lift for 9 months prior to the j springs. For over all drivability the medium lift is excellent. My front lift was 2 1/2 inches, the rear was 3. My family took this set-up on a 4 week fully loaded camping trip across the Western states. It was perfect, and did not require the castor correction. Now that I have a heavier load-bull bar, winch, rear bumper the heavier weight suspension is needed, as is the castor correction. It's all a matter of what you plan to do. If it is 99% a commuter, the medium lift is perfect. If you have a lot of extra weight, get the heavies.

Carson, It greatly helps if you let us know what you want to do with the truck as mentioned by others. If we don't know, you may not get the best feedback.

Hey Rogue - You still gonna have the BYU avatar after next week? :D

[quote author=Junk link=board=2;threadid=11696;start=msg107126#msg107126 date=1077162579]
Hey Rogue - You still gonna have the BYU avatar after next week? :D
[/quote]

Why?

i dont really have any future plans for the car after a lift except maybe an ARB bar but that would be the most i would do. so i'm thinking about just getting the 851s in front and 860s in the rear with the N73 and N74E shocks, because when i go off-roading the rear of the truck will have nothing more than a few light tools and maybe a hi-lift(nothing major, except for a spare tire which is mounted under the truck) and when i go, i typically will not go on an expedition type trip with a lot of packs and gear so what do you all think about that?

carsonmac,
It's not clear why you want a lift but since you do, it sounds like the 851/860 with those shocks will be a good fit for you. If you stay with the stock sized tyres then it will look a little funny 'cause the tyres will be too small for the wheel well. They'll work fine though.

You could go with 33's but they will cut back on your around-town performance unless you regear. But you didn't ask about tyres so I'll shut up for now.

-B-

yeah im lifting it so i can put bigger tires on sorry i forgot to say that im an idiot, but i would like the 33's but may just go with the 32 x 11.50s, i thought about regearing but im on a bit of a budget and dont have the money too right now, how crucial do you all think it would be to regear? i currently fourwheel with guys who are running 33s with toyota 22re engines and 6 cylinders and they seem to be doing ok, maybe they are the ones making a big mistake by not regearing?

Well I've only driven 1 FJ80 and it was on flat asphalt, but I wouldn't think 33s would be a problem. You will feel a difference but I can't imagine it to be that bad. Regearing is always the optimum solution but the enjoyment of the 33s might outway the disappointment of loss of power, your call. If your freinds have Yotas on 33s might be able to test drive their tires ;)

>> sorry i forgot to say that im an idiot, <<

I kinda thought you were leaving out some stuff. And most people won't think you are an idiot if you'll learn how to use the shift key. ;)

Announce to the board where you are located and see if there is anyone with an FJ80 (3FE engine) in your area with 33's and stock gearing. Maybe they'll let you drive it to see the difference. You can always ask that question too as we have lots of guys on this list with the 3FE engine and most of them wheel their trucks.

-B-

I have a 1991, which is physically/mechanically identical to yours. I have 32x11.50 R15 BFG A/T tires mounted on aftermarket American Eagle wheels with 3.25 inch backspacing which pushes the sidewall of the tire very slightly past the edge of the fender flare. I have no other lift/modifications. Off-road I have no trouble with rubbing, etc. I noticed no difference in on-road performance (other than a 0.5 decrease in MPG) when switching from the factory 31 inch tire size. I regularly drive 75-80 MPH with this setup. In my humble opinion, I also think it looks great. Here's a link to a picture. https://forum.ih8mud.com/index.php?board=7;action=display;threadid=11604
-Jason

I know if i got the 850 front and 863 rear springs my articulation would decrease significantly because I'm not carrying anything more than a light brush guard on the front and spare in the back, and maybe some small tools like i mentioned before. But I really want the added ride height that the 850/863 springs give as opposed to the 850/861s, so I could more easily fit 33"s. Is it worth the compromise in articulation though. So bottom line is it smart to get the 850/863 coils even though I will not have much weight I am carrying, just to gain the added ride height? Thanks and I appreciate all you guys who are responding, it's been a great help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom