1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lift Components

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by Stroker, Feb 23, 2004.

1. Stroker

Stroker

Hey Everybody I'm kind of a newbie here so be patient. I just bought a really nice 75 Fj and for tires it has 33x12.5x15 and in the wheel wells it looks like I only have a couple of inchs of clearance. I bought a Skyjacker 4" Kit and the springs won't fit into the existing shackles, no problem I think so I'll just get new shackles. The catch is this, the ones that I have are 5.5" CL to CL of the holes. I take it these existing shackles are not stock because of the length. Hence the question. What shackles should I buy for the Skyjacker 4" lift. I'm told the a shackle lift is not the way to go, do you concur? 2nd question is the last owner bought 4 brand new Skyjacker Nitro 8000 shocks but there is existing mounting hardware for 4 shocks up front. Now I have a 350 crate motor in there now so 4 shocks might be a good idea, yes, no or dos'nt matter. Thanks for your input. Stroker

2. FJ60

FJ60

With 4" sua lift I would run stock length anti-inversion shackles and ditch the others.

I'm thinking the old shocks won't be the correct length with the new 4" lift ???

3. FJ60

FJ60

4. Romer

Romer fatherofdaughterofromer Moderator

Lo0k up the part number of the shocks on the skyjacker website. That will tell you if they will work with your lift. I have a 4 inch Skyjacker and use the Hydro shocks. Anti inversion are not worth the money (IMOP). You should get greasable shackles and pins. Standard sized shackles should work. The problem is the bushings that come with the skyjacker make the setup to wide. Buy a set of new Frame Bushings and use those instead. Some are tough to get into the shackle. Most worked after a bit. I ended up shaving a little off of the bushings in one spot to make it fit.

Good Luck!

5. petescoffee

petescoffee

Do you have a shackle reversal up front?
    A stock shackle I believe is 2 3/4" bolt to bolt. If you have a reversal the rear (rear axle) shackle length may have been increased to level the cruiser. At least that is what the previous owner did on my 1975 FJ40.

6. theo

theo

[quote author=Stroker link=board=1;threadid=11957;start=msg109055#msg109055 date=1077562319]
    2nd question is the last owner bought 4 brand new Skyjacker Nitro 8000 shocks but there is existing mounting hardware for 4 shocks up front. Now I have a 350 crate motor in there now so 4 shocks might be a good idea, yes, no or dos'nt matter. Thanks for your input. Stroker
    [/quote]

Don't put extra shocks in to compensate for extra weight. The small block is 200 pounds lighter than the original 2F. ;)

7. Romer

Romer fatherofdaughterofromer Moderator

The 4 front shocks sounds kind of strange. Haven't heard of that one before.

8. fsusteve

fsusteve

Media:
    Albums:
    Double shock hoops, very big in the 80's and with desert racers. Don't do it, it'll stiffen the ride up considerably.

9. Stroker

Stroker

After some hints from you guys I got the stock length inversion shackles to go with my lift, and it looks like I can save a few bucks by sticking with the 4 shocks instead of the 6. Thanks for all your help guys.