1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lift Complete

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by Romer, Feb 18, 2004.

1. Romer

Romer fatherofdaughterofromer Moderator

Well, I finally completed installation of the 4inch Skyjacker lift, Greasable shackles and New shocks. It seemed like every step there was a problem. What a learning experiance. Using the link on the Tech page helped a lot, you guys in the forum helped with getting the spring pin out. Just wish I had bought the torque wrench eralier, that would have helped with the hard to get bolts. The added length provides better leverage. Most of this has been posted, but you NEED the following:
    - Air Tools (Wrench, gun, Cut Tool)
    - Blow Torch - melts those bushings that have made permanent homes.
    - Hammer and Chisel ( Best method for spring pin)
    - 4 Jackstands make it easier (2 frame, 2 axle) I used the jack a couple of times to raise/lower spring to get it seated right.
    - Crowbar
    - Torque wrench. I was amazed how loose the bolts were after I tightned it with a socket by hand.
    - Gear Wrenches - For those hard to work in areas.
    - Lots of time. And another running car to drive to the parts store!!!!!

I did not need a brakeline extension as a lot of people said. Ron from RMC told me to wait, you usually don't need it and he was right. It took me about 32 hours all together having never done it before. I would spend hours on a problem before solving it. One simple one was how to get the bushing centered in the shock. I couldn't get it centered at first and tried to install them that way :doh:

Well, if I can do it, anybody can!

Here is a before and after shot!

Ken

2. Romer

Oh, and thanks IGE for coming by and giving me moral support and taking my old springs!

3. Poser

Poser Oh...Durka Durka Durka. s-Moderator Supporting Vendor

Media:
    Albums:
    Burning the bushings out, while not the cleanest, ususally makes short work of the spring pins and many other trouble issues...

4. drohweder

drohweder

Looks great. Congrats of the beefed up baby!

5. dinkleberry

dinkleberry

Looks good, now fix those rims. ;)

6. Herky

Herky

Looks great! I'll be tackling this project with a 2.5" BDS in April probably.

7. Advent Horizon

Advent Horizon

What size tires?

Looks good, BTW :D

8. scubajohn

scubajohn

so get some miles on it and let us know how the ride is :) after the springs loosen up a bit heheh

9. fsusteve

fsusteve

Media:
    Albums:
    Looks really good, but I wouldn't use a $150 torque wrench as a breaker bar, just add a piece of pipe to the wrench/rachet. :beer:

10. Romer

$20 torque wrench at pep boys. I only used it to free up the front shocks, I had sprayed it with PB Blaster for a few days anywise. It just felt more powerful (aaa aaa Arrrrgg). prior to that I was using a wrench with a hammer. Didn't think of the piece of pipe.

Advent Horizon- 33 Inch BFG's

11. Romer

[quote author=Dingleberry link=board=1;threadid=11746;start=msg107027#msg107027 date=1077149273]
    Looks good, now fix those rims. ;)
    [/quote]

What's wrong with the rims?

12. Poser

Poser Oh...Durka Durka Durka. s-Moderator Supporting Vendor

Media:
    Albums:
    So,

Let me get this strait...

You used a tourque wrench for a breaker bar?

13. IDave

IDave

Media:
    Albums:
    [quote author=Poser link=board=1;threadid=11746;start=msg107066#msg107066 date=1077154810]
    So,

Let me get this strait...

You used a tourque wrench for a breaker bar?

[/quote]

Good thing it was only a 20 dollar torque wrench! :D :D

Hey, Romer, the second picture looks lower than the first! Did you put the springs on upside down?

:flipoff2:

14. Razor

Razor

Nice job on the lift.
    [​IMG] :eek:

15. Romer

OK, let me set you straight.

Dave the pictures are after and before. I was testing to see if you were confused.

Steve- I used it on only one screw that was hard to get to. You know those places where you can get a wrench on but can only move the wrench a smidge. I had hit that spot with PB Blaster for about three days before hand. The screw was still a litlle tight and I could not get a hammer to hit the wrench like I had done with the others. The Torque wrench worked just fine and did not suffer any ill effects. I never thought about using a pipe, I have plenty lying around from plumbing my basement. Probably not what you are suppose to do, but this was all new territory for me. I have never done anything like this. You know it took me a while how to seat the shock bushing right (No instructions). It probably takes you a few minutes.

The main reason for the torque wrench was to tighten the bolts to 80 in lbs. I thought they were tight with the socket, but when I put the torque wrench on them, they had a ways to go. I'm glad I did that or they would have loosened up on me.

Ken

16. IDave

IDave

Media:
    Albums:
    What can I say, Ken? I am just a very literal sort of guy.

It does look much better. Great job!

17. CruisinGA

CruisinGA

[quote author=romer link=board=1;threadid=11746;start=msg107087#msg107087 date=1077157492]
    The main reason for the torque wrench was to tighten the bolts to 80 in lbs. I thought they were tight with the socket, but when I put the torque wrench on them, they had a ways to go. I'm glad I did that or they would have loosened up on me.

Ken
    [/quote]
    They will still loosen up on you. Check them in a week, then in a month. After that they should be fine, until the nylon disentegrates.
    Don't worry, I used my torque wrench as a breaker bar for weeks, until I discovered the my hilift jack handle is perfect.

18. bad_religion_au

bad_religion_au

pipe for a breaker bar rocks. one of my head bolts wouldn't come off with a 3inch pipe attached to my ratchet. so we used a 9foot street sign, and busted the socket. quality socket in place still was a struggle, with 2 people pushing a 9 foot bar and one person standing on the ratchet to stop it poping off the bolt. came off in the end

19. dinkleberry

dinkleberry

[quote author=romer link=board=1;threadid=11746;start=msg107064#msg107064 date=1077154574]
    What's wrong with the rims?
    [/quote]

They're goin in different directions.

20. willsta2000

willsta2000

Dingle is right. Your rims are directional,... nothing to do with functionality, just they give the appearance to be spinning backwards at certain speeds. They are designed to have the pointed part of the slots pointing the reverse direction of wheel rotation. The wheels on the other side of your rig are probably oriented similarly, unless you or the PO was sold a mismatched set. (Seen that as well).