Lift Clearance (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Was wondering how much clear space do you have around your lift, for those fortunate enough to have them, and how much space do you wish you had?

In very early planning stage and trying to rough out a floor plan.

Thanks,namsag

When I researched it, a lot of lifts tend to need 12' clear. There are lifts that will work with less than that, but I'd consider it the minimum.

12' height is standard. There are low height and low headroom lifts. One of my lifts is a low headroom Rotary and it has a speedbump you have to drive over that covers the safety cables. Very inconvenient.

Don't ever put the lift right up against a wall if you can avoid it. I've had a lift installed that way because I had to in two different buildings I leased and it made any work on the side of the vehicle nearest the wall very uncomfortable.

IMO, a minimum functional area for a 2 post lift would be a 30' x 30' area with the lift set in a little past half way. The is just enough length to lift a crewcab longbed truck while walking around the front or rear and gives you 10 feet on either side to do stuff.

Since the topic is about lifts, can I hijack for a moment? Did anyone build up the concrete underneath where a 4 or 2 post lift would go?

When a neighbor built his shop, I recall he had the increase the depth of the concrete where the 2 posts were going to be installed. I believe that recommendation was from the lift mfgr.

Since the topic is about lifts, can I hijack for a moment? Did anyone build up the concrete underneath where a 4 or 2 post lift would go?

FYI A friend of mine built a new shop a few years ago and his plans always included a 2-post asymmetric lift. The data he found in planning for the build led him to increase the concrete depth to ~2 feet immediately under and around the lift posts. The data at that time indicated this depth of concrete would provide strength for attaching the anchor bolts, but it would provide counter balance mass (weight) to help stabilize the lift from unbalanced loading.
To provide locational tolerance, the areas of increased depth were 1-2 feet larger in diameter than needed. This may not have been required, but it was an extra measure that my friend was willing to take (pay for) to ensure the results that he wanted.

Also FYI I installed a 2-post asymmetric lift in my shop. It was built prior to my owning the property so the concrete floor did not have any provisions for a lift. The concrete is ~6 inches thick where the lift is installed. I have been using/enjoying my lift for 12 years without issue or incident, but I am very deliberate to properly balance loading.

Good luck.

Here's the information from Rotary's installation Manual for all their 7 to 10 ton, 2 post lifts, including asymmetric lifts. If I'm reading this information correctly then the minimum spec is 3000 psi, 4.25" thick. See page 5.

I am building a shop now. The builder is putting in a 15 foot long strip 24" wide and 8" deep to accommodate the lift installation in the appropriate spot. Should b more than adequate.

I am building a shop now. The builder is putting in a 15 foot long strip 24" wide and 8" deep to accommodate the lift installation in the appropriate spot. Should b more than adequate.
That's an odd dimension. For a 2 post lift?

That is just the concrete pad beneath.
Yes I understand. I would have expected something like 12' wide and 4' long for a 2 post lift. Is it two 15' x 24" strips of concrete? Just curious. Thanks. Congrats on the shop by the way.

Yes I understand. I would have expected something like 12' wide and 4' long for a 2 post lift. Is it two 15' x 24" strips of concrete? Just curious. Thanks. Congrats on the shop by the way.
Just one long one so I can put the lift anywhere along the strip. (Side to side). It is what he said he has been doing for years without complaint so I am going with it.

Just one long one so I can put the lift anywhere along the strip. (Side to side). It is what he said he has been doing for years without complaint so I am going with it.
Got it. So from the lift's perspective it's 15' wide and 24" deep (or "long") and 8" thick. Forgive my pedanticism.

Got it. So from the lift's perspective it's 15' wide and 24" deep (or "long") and 8" thick. Forgive my pedanticism.
Correct. So the legs of the lift are parallel with the slab. I can cheat the lift left or right a bit to get it placed where I want it. That slab will be about 15 feet from and parallel with the back wall.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom