Lift causing stiffer steering?! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My brother who lifted his 62 feels that his steering is stiffer since doing this. Is this normal? Should he be modifing something to correct this?

Good LC mechanic in Minneapolis?

Can anybody recomend a good reasonable mechanic in the Minneapolis are? I checked the "sticky" and did not see any.

need a lil more info brotha......

what kind of lift? how high? full lift kit? stiffer as in hard to turn? or no longer a sloppy steer?

Ok, new tires just before lift, from stock tire size to 31's. But he drove it about 1K miles on the new tires before putting the lift on and did not notice any dif. The steering change is that it takes more muscle to turn the wheel, no slop in the wheel before or after. The lift is dakkar from maf. Keep in mind that this my brothers so I may be vague on some answers here, he did go with a lighter duty spring for the ride and I believe the left was 2/3 inches. I hope this helps! thanks for the help!

I have no idea, I cant imagine how just a spring lift would effect how hard it is to turn the wheel. What else did he replace while he was at it? Tie rod ends or anything like that?

caster correction shims...... caster offf????

Did you change something so that the steering dampener would be locking up? Is it new?

Did you get new arms for your steering box?

:beer:

I helped him do this but i just remembered he did change the steering damper before he came over to my place to do the lift. Logic would tell me that a new damper could definately effect this, correct?

A new steering dampener can be felt in the steering wheel...

Also, since lift, did ya get front-end alignment checked ?
It can/will make a difference on handling, a more firm wheel can result from the lift...
A sloppy wandering rig can result from a lift
...depends on the sping manufacturer...
...and did ya install 'em in the right direction ?
....( there is a 'front-back' to each spring)
.......( in addition to springs for front axle, back axle)

We definately did get the springs on correct, front/back and reversed or not. He did not notice the difference in the steering after the new damper and before the lift was installed but only after the lift. I wonder if it could be a combination of the lift causing the new damper to be stiffer due to the angle and maybe a combination of needing a front end alignment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom