life expectancy of a 1992 80 series??? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm new to this site and have a question. I'm going to look at a 92 L/C for sale by the original owner with 291,000 miles on it. The engine and trans have not been rebuilt, 2 in lift, custom bumper, winch, 2 new batteries, 110 volt Inverter, new tires with an extra set of studded tires included and complete service history. He's asking $4000.00 OBO.
The mileage seems too high even for a toyota. Would this be worth look see or should I pass? The pictures look like new but I know how that goes.

There is also an 84 60 series just as clean as the 92, with a five speed standard shift and 160k for $3,700 at a dealership, but being a carburated engine has me worried about future smog issues in California. I need a replacement for my Jeep Wagoneer which is just about dead with 300K.

retiredguest said:
There is also an 84 60 series just as clean as the 92, with a five speed standard shift and 160k for $3,700 at a dealership, but being a carburated engine has me worried about future smog issues in California. I need a replacement for my Jeep Wagoneer which is just about dead with 300K.

Do you have to smog a vehicle over 25 years?

Yes. California smog laws say any vehicle 1976 or newer. BTW here is a picture of the 92 I'm looking at.

My 92 has 345,000. Runs perfect, drives perfect. If the body was rust free, and interior was in good shape, that doesn't sound way out of line. Offer him 2500 and go from there.

My '91 is still in the family and still going strong at almost 300,000 on the original engine and tranny. The head has never been off. It's needed a new radiator, a new alternator, a front oil seal, and new oil pan and side cover gaskets in all that time.

If it's clean and looks to be well maintained, somewhere in the 3K to 3.5K would be a buy. Our 92 has 329K on the original motor, transmission and exhaust system. It drives better than it did when we bought it at 177K.

If it's clean and has some documentation I say offer $2500 or so? I bought my bone stock 91 last year with 162,000 miles 2 owner Calif. vehicle for $3100....That said I have been making it better and going through it to base line and much more have spent another $3500 (not all needed,it's just me).It runs like a champ and I know exactly where the condition is of the entire truck. Good luck bid low or keep looking.

My 91 has an unknown number of miles. The odometer quit 4 years ago with 251000 miles. I recently replaced the speedo cable and fixed that. Runs strong doesn't burn oil or blow smoke and I am not easy on it. The 3fe is a good engine. 4k seems steep. I saw 3k at the most

Last edited:
i wouldnt be afriad of the mileage...especially if you have documentation...be concerned for the exhaust ..the birfs ..o2s.....if he's been on top of it all, you may not have to be concerned with baselining.....but wonder how much he wheeled it......give her a test run...do a compression test...haggle a bit....might be worth it

I'm going to go look at an 85 fj60 as well. It has less miles and in the same condition as the 92. It also has the 5 speed stick, which I like but my wife prefers the automatic. The only reservations I have about the 60 is it's "old" and being sold by a used car dealership, unlike the 92 which is a one owner vehicle with documentation of it's history and upgrades.

From what I gather, Most people don't get rid of their cruisers unless they become a money pit, and my past experience buying vehicles from used car dealers have been not so great. They can make any clunker look sharp, and hide things like oil leaks, body damage, abuse, etc.

My guess on the 60 is that it has the stock 4 speed transmission , 5 speed trannys are not too far off the asking price for the truck if you include labor for the install etc.

Having owned a FJ62 (automatic) and a FJ80, the wife likes the looks of the FJ62 but the comfort and ability of the FJ80. Leaf springs vs coil springs, springy seats vs. comfort seats, 2 rows of seating vs. 3 rows, utilitarian vs. comfort, that's my take on the two with automatics. FJ60 with a stick? Wife wouldn't drive that one. Used car dealer vs. single owner? That's your call.

Can't go wrong with an 80. I've had 60s and as far as I'm concerned the buck stops at the 80 for me. Easier on the trails than a 100 and more comfortable than a 60.

You can fit a 62 grill and lights on some early 80 series as they were factory JDM. If you want some crossover.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom