life expectancy for rear OEM brake pads (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Under normal conditions, how many miles should I expect from the rear brake pads?

short story is I am looking at doing a rear axle service soon. Most importantly I need to replace rear rotors and break pads, in addition to repacking the wheel bearings.

Looking at my PM history I first changed the rear pads with OEM at 125K miles, and 19K miles later I had to put another set (this time pep boys specials) to hold me till I was ready to replace rotors, pads, and perhaps wheel bearings...

When I added the lift I never bothered adjusting the LSPV. I have J springs up front and heavies in the rear. It sounds Like I need to do this and search how to do it.

I have put about 15K on my new oem pads/rotors in the rear and they look close to new. I have only had the OME mediums on for about 5K though and all of those 15K miles were on my 285's not the 315's. I expect the brakes to wear faster with the 315's. I plan on adjusting my LSPV too.

Correct me if I'm wrong but with a lift and a LSPV in the stock location, you should be putting more force on the fronts than the rears.

With stock wheels and tires my front pads did 22-25 thousand while the rears made it 52-55 thousand before changes.

it depends on how hard you use it, where you are going, driving downhill,...bigger wheels mean bigger rotational mass thus brake working extra hard....

"Normal conditions" is a relative term. I think that driving style is the biggest variable in brake pad wear. OEM pads installed at 129k (when I bought rig) got me 37k worth of wear on the rear. I replaced with a set from NAPA and currently I have 50k on them with roughly 50% left. But, "normally" I think it would be safe to expect roughly double the mileage you get from the front pads. Some have tried to get more even wear by adjusting the LSPV. After a suspension lift is installed, if the LSPV isn't readjusted, the gap between front and rear pad wear may get even bigger. The older my 80 and I get, the gentler I drive it. I don't need to get from stop light to stop light in record time, so I don't. Off road, I haven't changed that much, but I think most of our brake pad wear occurs from our on pavement driving. My .02 - YMMV

OK, I think it is clear that I need to adjust the LSPV since I am not a crazy driver and haven't had to tow anything on my rig to warrant my rear brake pads wearing out at this rate. Time to do some searches.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom