Life after an 80? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

My wife likes to discuss selling the 80 series I have sitting in my back yard. By discuss I mean she says how it would be better served in the hands of someone else because it is not necessary. My definition of necessary is different from hers and vastly different from yours. Purchased for $3K a decade ago, $2500 in baseline (yes its over the standard cost), $4500 in engine rebuild, $800 in mild 2" lift, $1500 bumper and winch. Modifications are a personal choice for a vehicle that is extremely capable already. I have owned older tacoma's, Jeeps, Fords, Chevy's, GMC's, 60 series (loved), 100 series currently that lulls me to sleep, and a DD tundra. Nothing compares to the 80. It comes down to your intended use and tolerance for maintenance on an aging platform that retains support (not everything but most items) in a vibrant community. Like the King's? go for it! Like the Joey Bling, absolutely go for it! Wanderlust for something better in the categories that the 80 dominates....Good Luck.

No hate from me, just thoughts from a guy getting into his first cup of coffee. Good luck with your journey.

Im weighing the option of selling the 80 and buying a more generic weekend expedition vehicle that may be more responsible financially.

....So far my short list might me a 100 series, FJ70...
Have you not seen the 70 or 100 series sections of 'Mud?:hmm:

All the $$$ numbers being thrown around in this thread make you sound pompous, frivolous and a bit of a turd sandwich. Honestly, how do you spend $60k on a $10k car unless it is your business or you truly do not care (or know anything) about money. Not trying to hate, just saying. You do you :flipoff2:

To the actual topic, do whatever feels right to you. I've had a couple 4runners and they weren't exciting, but they got the job done and were downright affordable to own compared to the 80. My wife is not a fan of my 80, mainly for reasons related to it's age. I'm not selling it, but if it's ever destroyed or stolen, I will probably get a 4th gen 4runner V8/5-speed so I can keep things simple and closer to stock.

70 is more expensive to buy and own than 80.

I scanned thru your build thread and it seems like you've gone further than majority of the folks here in baselining/ocd-ing your 80. For sure your 80 is in a much better shape than many of us here. What's concerning you in keeping your 80 as your generic weekend expedition vehicle?

I can see it from a perspective that you getting bored with the build and it is time to move on to something new. If that's what feeds your soul then I say go for it!

Ironically I follow a built (bumpers, sliders, tires and regear) Tacoma TRD truck on Instagram and recently they posted their best MPG ever as 13.9mpg. Really not any better than an 80. I was a little surprised.

Not better, just checks a different set of boxes. It’s faster and more utilitarian. I like having both.

having built a sc'ed 100 and fully built a 200 ( minus a sc'er that the new owner is working on) I came back to an 80 as my favorite LC so far.... it's 80 number 5 for me...and I've woven into my Toyota ownership every version of the 4runner from an 84' to an 08'..... the 80 is just a vehicle that resonates and is timeless..... yes - its needs more HP but it's fully capable with some light mods. More mods make it moreso.....

i would given consideration to adding a GX to the fleet however as I think it's a nicely capable vehicle with good aftermarket support and a V8, but the wife will never let me sell the 80.... nor would I...

E

Hate to think about selling the 80 and probably won’t, but am seriously considering upgrades to the gx460 that is my DD. V8 (w/ timing chain) power, great size for the trail (seems 80 size, rather than 200 size), now 10 years into the production run (plenty used w/ only soccer mom usage), and the GXOR community continues to grow. Mine seems very capable off road, even in pretty much stock configuration.
I agree it’s hard to not like the gx460 for the same reasons I love my 80, the gx is like the hot friend that’s easy to hang out with

but having both is the answer for me, build you 80 however you want and buy a used truck that fits your daily use

All the $$$ numbers being thrown around in this thread make you sound pompous, frivolous and a bit of a turd sandwich. Honestly, how do you spend $60k on a $10k car unless it is your business or you truly do not care (or know anything) about money. Not trying to hate, just saying. You do you :flipoff2:

Sort of agree with your sentiment, but what I am really curious about is how it costs so damn much? OP mentions another $25K to Slee and Joey. Last I checked a Slee 4 inch kit is like $3.3K, and the turbo is something like $6-7K? Where is the extra $15K? If you are spending $15K for someone to put a lift and turbo on for you - find a different mechanic. Or just do it yourself.

I’m surprised my name is invoked in this 😳

Just do what you need to do. Turbos make the drive nice but absolutely not necessary.

Regret sucks and hard to deal with. I try to weight it into my decisions.

He lie's. It's totally needed for the SMILE factor. I won't lie. I always loved my 80. Now she's a hot sexy beast that I can't get enough of her all day long now. @NLXTACY has made me into a sick bastard!:p:censor::poof:

Sort of agree with your sentiment, but what I am really curious about is how it costs so damn much? OP mentions another $25K to Slee and Joey. Last I checked a Slee 4 inch kit is like $3.3K, and the turbo is something like $6-7K? Where is the extra $15K? If you are spending $15K for someone to put a lift and turbo on for you - find a different mechanic. Or just do it yourself.

Do it yourself. Lift is an easy DIY that can be done at home. You can also cut costs by not going with those fancy lift kits. I'm using OME J Springs and Long's that I got used from MUD classifieds and PMC Swap meet (which according to your location is right down your area). You don't need a fancy lift to get clearance.

Turbo is DIY and can be done at home. The only thing you'll probably need to do is find a shop to weld the downpipe. You save big $ doing stuff yourself and you'll also know how to fix her down the road if it breaks on the trail. Or I can recommend you to my buddy that owns a shop. He does terrific work. He takes some time to do it but he doesn't half ass anything and gives you a fair price.

If I were to install another Turbo. I can do it in a day or less if you're not doing any PM stuff. You're always faster the 2nd time around. No i'm not installing it for you. But if I'm free that weekend I might give you a hand with the Turbo install if you plan on going that route. If you've done a knuckle service, you'll have the skills to do this Turbo install.

Last edited:
So in addition to your 80 what other models have given you a good experience?

I would quite possibly trade my current 80 for a new 200 series (80s inspired exterior mind you) with radar cruise plus all the trimmings I had on my fully ICON’ed out 2014.

Hwy driving the 80 is an NVH drain. I just drove from LA to San Luis Obispo and back all in one day. Not fun. The 200 with radar cruise is like a Rolls Royce in comparison.

Going back to not having to worry about NLA parts and unplanned maintenance could be nice. Not getting very likely hosed on valuation in an accident or theft scenario would be super nice.

Grass greener.

Good luck with your decision!

If I understand your query correctly, OP, I think you're just after a newer vehicle.
Do a new 4Runner. They are the *rebellious norm* nowadays.
Or if you're saying you have $60k to play with, go for a clean used G-Wagon. Diff from Jeep and the only other vehicle that can compete with your standard 3xl 80.

I'm still not clear on the OP's desired use..... 60k for a dog hauler /wheeler ?

G's are an interesting option most don't factor in on Mud......the driveline is very rugged & 3x locked, with lot's of HP avail in the 55's and 63's..... a light lift and 34's is easily done.... not much aftermarket support that isn't focused on the "look" or stupidity however....

Last edited:
I would be hesitant to build a gx mainly because the differential size front and rear does not look significant. I have not looked into the ring and pinion in depth but just a quick visual of the axles raises red flags. It would worry me that anything more than a mild build for a level above fire service roads would cause carnage that would definitely kill a offroad trip and be a difficult/expensive recovery.

I've briefly considered selling my 80 and just lightly modding my '15 4runner.

The 5th gens are quite capable and the 1gr is a proven engine. There's really nothing Wrong with it and it would likely do almost anything that the 80 can do off road.

I don't think I'll do it anytime soon (or ever) though because despite all its positives, its biggest negative is it just isn't a land cruiser. I feel sure I'd regret selling the 80 immediately.

If you have 60k to spend on an 80, you can modify it to your exact specs. Or build the 80 moderately and buy a 30k sports car......

I agree it’s hard to not like the gx460 for the same reasons I love my 80, the gx is like the hot friend that’s easy to hang out with.
But having both is the answer for me, build you 80 however you want and buy a used truck that fits your daily use.
I browse in the 80 forum daily and sometimes read the 150 series forum here on Mud because I drive an 80 daily but I have a pining recently for a GX460. Something about that smooth ride and power, yet fully capable in the mountains getting to camping spots, gets me. Every time I think about throwing some money into my 80, I wonder if I might be better putting it towards a GX. Ideally I want both because I just can't imagine life without my 80, driving it now for almost 20 years.

Now, if I could afford a 200 Series Landcruiser used, the above would's be relevant any longer hahaha

Last edited:
Life after an 80:

1. You buy a Corolla and get on with your life.

2. You buy a diesel non-US 7x series and dive further down the rabbit hole.

These are the only real legitimate options. IFS trucks are half solutions and lead to nothing but further overland BS.

Life after an 80:

1. You buy a Corolla and get on with your life.

2. You buy a diesel non-US 7x series and dive further down the rabbit hole.

These are the only real legitimate options. IFS trucks are half solutions and lead to nothing but further overland BS.

I went with a Camry. Most reliable soul sucking mind numbing piece of engineering madness that I love to hate. The 80 is still with me but there’s no parts guys anymore.:flipoff2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom