Life after an 80? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I went with a Camry. Most reliable soul sucking mind numbing piece of engineering madness that I love to hate. The 80 is still with me but there’s no parts guys anymore.:flipoff2:

Oh, I know. My airport car is Prius. :lol:

That said, real parts professionals still exist; they just went underground...Away from the marketing BS, the fray, the incessant nagging from the general public, the constant need to be “on message” like a corporate droid. ;)

I went with a Camry. Most reliable soul sucking mind numbing piece of engineering madness that I love to hate. The 80 is still with me but there’s no parts guys anymore.:flipoff2:
Don’t you go bashing Camrys. My wife inherited one from her grandma and that thing survived 340k miles of abuse and neglect until it ultimately met its demise in a tbone collision. If there’s anything that car deserves it’s respect. It’s like a grumpy old 102 year old lady who refuses to die out of pure spite.

I could live without the 80 but it's still the family Cruiser so it's not going anywhere soon. However I can't see being without the two FJ60s and the FJ40. Street car is a FRS, may not have as good gas mileage as a Camry but it is more fun to drive :grinpimp:

e quite capable and the 1gr is a proven engine. There's really nothing Wrong with it and it would likely do almost anything that the 80 can do off road.

I don't think I'll do it anytime soon (or ever) though because despite all its positives, its biggest negative is it just isn't a land cruiser. I feel sure I'd regret selling the 80 immediately.

Doesn't the 80 series have a higher payload than a 5th gen 4runner?

The 80 will allow an around an extra 265 lbs to carry if going camping\overlanding\whatever you want to call it we're all friends here...

**EDITED***
I typed words poorly

Model​
GVWR Minus Curb Weight​
5th Gen 4R:1550 lbs
4th Gen 4R:1285 lbs
Lexus GX470:1329 lbs
100 Series LC:1500 lbs
80 Series LC:1765 lbs
3rd gen 4R:1810 lbs

Last edited:
I love my 80. I'm not working to make it a rock crawling icon, I just really like it the way it is and only want to do things that keep it stock.

We just got a used Sequoia 2014 SR5 Premium 4x4. I really enjoy driving it and so does the wife. It is able to tow 7100lbs and the brakes are very confident. Does it rock crawl? yes!! if you mean gravel driveways or pea gravel.

It has been a pleasant surprise and unfortunately I don't pull the 80 out as often because of it.

Doesn't the 80 series have a higher payload than a 5th gen 4runner?
The 80 will allow an around an extra 265 lbs to carry if going camping\overlanding\whatever you want to call it we're all friends here...

**EDITED***
I typed words poorly

Model​
GVWR Minus Curb Weight​
5th Gen 4R:1550 lbs
4th Gen 4R:1285 lbs
Lexus GX470:1329 lbs
100 Series LC:1500 lbs
80 Series LC:1765 lbs
3rd gen 4R:1810 lbs

Nothing too surprising there. It's a give and take. I'll always give the solid front axle the nod when it comes to offroad performance as well. Although some would argue that point.

Definitely, and everyone's Give and Take and Pros\Cons are gonna be different.

An example:

80 series: LRA 42 gallon tank. The weight of 42 gallons is about 252 lbs

I know LRA recently test fitted their 33 gallon sub tank for a GX460 (<-- I think), in a 5th Gen 4Runner...

At this point in time I would leave a clean stock 80 alone and use it lightly. I would mod high-milers with issues. 80s are going back up in value and they could get crazy.

If you would have told me a couple years ago that a clean survivor FJ60 will sell for north of 50 grand I would have called the looney bin and made an appointment for you.

Guess what? You were right. :hmm:

Exactly what Dan said. I am pretty certain I could get twice what I paid for mine.

Highlande-r and get the best of both worlds?

Well.... First off I can't believe I would ever post a thread such as this. Seriously someone should pull my man card and nut slap me.

However I have received a couple offers on my 80 as it sits.

Im weighing the option of selling the 80 and buying a more generic weekend expedition vehicle that may be more responsible financially.

So in addition to your 80 what other models have given you a good experience?

I've had multiple 85-89 4x4 Pickups / 4Runner's, and a 15' Platinum Tundra. They were great but I would want something different.

So far my short list might me a 100 series, FJ70, or Newer 4Runner.

I would want something that I can run with minimal maintenance, and that I could throw basic mods on.

My rig use would be the daily dog mobile and weekend camping/trail use.

I would have around 60K into mine after I finished it off with the full send Slee package and Joey turbo special. So I would want something reliable and lightly modded for 30-40K or under if I make the switch.

Thoughts?
I went through your build thread too. Your situation is a little different from what most here understand. You are sitting on a well maintained survivor rig with good paint (and probably little rust) that was successfully smogged in California. You have a collection of awesome parts waiting to get slapped on it, and people are slapping crazy offers at you because of it.

You already have a cool other car - quite nice, I may add - , so now that the wheels of the mind are turning a less conspicuous adventure rig with less to tinker with sounds like fun.

A 100 series is cool and would fit the bill and maintains the Land Cruiser identity. It has IFS, so you can't go too far down the rabbit hole with this. They are dead nuts reliable and the 2UZ-FE is a solid engine, minus the smog pump issue. The timing belt is a consideration, but not a deal breaker. I think they are ugly, even built up, but they are capable. This would be my first vote.

A 70 is WAAAAAYY out of the question. You'll be in a worse situation than the 80 now.

If you want to lose the Halo aspect of owning a Land Cruiser, a 4Runner or Tacoma would be a nice choice. I'd recommend a 4th Gen 4Runner with the V8. I like the 5th gen 4Runner too, but the V8 is so unique. Bear in mind it's kind of ugly and has the same issues as the 100 series because it shares the same powerplant. I prefer the current Tacoma's interior over the previous generation, but the previous generation has the better IMO, more proven engine in the 1GR-FE.

I went through your build thread too. Your situation is a little different from what most here understand. You are sitting on a well maintained survivor rig with good paint (and probably little rust) that was successfully smogged in California. You have a collection of awesome parts waiting to get slapped on it, and people are slapping crazy offers at you because of it.

You already have a cool other car - quite nice, I may add - , so now that the wheels of the mind are turning a less conspicuous adventure rig with less to tinker with sounds like fun.

A 100 series is cool and would fit the bill and maintains the Land Cruiser identity. It has IFS, so you can't go too far down the rabbit hole with this. They are dead nuts reliable and the 2UZ-FE is a solid engine, minus the smog pump issue. The timing belt is a consideration, but not a deal breaker. I think they are ugly, even built up, but they are capable. This would be my first vote.

A 70 is WAAAAAYY out of the question. You'll be in a worse situation than the 80 now.

If you want to lose the Halo aspect of owning a Land Cruiser, a 4Runner or Tacoma would be a nice choice. I'd recommend a 4th Gen 4Runner with the V8. I like the 5th gen 4Runner too, but the V8 is so unique. Bear in mind it's kind of ugly and has the same issues as the 100 series because it shares the same powerplant. I prefer the current Tacoma's interior over the previous generation, but the previous generation has the better IMO, more proven engine in the 1GR-FE.

Bullseye right there. Maybe I wasn’t specific enough in my post. If I do sell it a 100 series will probably happen as I won’t be motivated to mod it like my 80. For now tho parts keep coming in so I’m going to continue the build unless I get an offer I can refuse in the next couple of weeks.

Because it appears they already have a 100k sports car......

Its a car I’m storing for a family member. I currently have the 80 and a Honda I use for a commuter. I haven’t purchased a sports car since I totaled my M3 back in 2015. I should have not been able to walk away after that bad of an accident. So I counted my blessings and stayed away from sports cars. Now I’m starting to get the itch again.....

Its a car I’m storing for a family member. I currently have the 80 and a Honda I use for a commuter. I haven’t purchased a sports car since I totaled my M3 back in 2015. I should have not been able to walk away after that bad of an accident. So I counted my blessings and stayed away from sports cars. Now I’m starting to get the itch again.....

Kind of an aside but my philosophy on sports cars is this..... get one that is quick and "feels" fast but that is not truly fast by modern standards. Something with a manual transmission, a convertible, etc.... that you can actually make full throttle runs and not be totally arrested for it, while at the same time feeling that sensation of speed and freedom. There's so few opportunities to actually make use of the capability of a modern sports car that in regular driving it can get frustrating.

Mine isn't that fast relative to a new sports car but it puts a smile on my face every time..... (to make this tech check out the movable RTT rack I built this winter - the goal is to roll it out next to the 80 for a smooth transfer of the RTT since the garage door is too short when its mounted).

1581720810035.png

Kind of an aside but my philosophy on sports cars is this..... get one that is quick and "feels" fast but that is not truly fast by modern standards. Something with a manual transmission, a convertible, etc.... that you can actually make full throttle runs and not be totally arrested for it, while at the same time feeling that sensation of speed and freedom. There's so few opportunities to actually make use of the capability of a modern sports car that in regular driving it can get frustrating.

Mine isn't that fast relative to a new sports car but it puts a smile on my face every time..... (to make this tech check out the movable RTT rack I built this winter - the goal is to roll it out next to the 80 for a smooth transfer of the RTT since the garage door is too short when its mounted).

View attachment 2210999

Nice! Mine was an E46 CSL clone. Any M stick car is a blast to drive. As you said the old stuff isn’t fast to today comparison. However you get more enjoyment.
Something newer is pretty much a punch the gas and hold on affair.
When I get my garage space back a stick M4 is on the short list.

I had a nice 80 that I modded and sold on this site - currently being modded by the owner and it's awesome.

I went to a 200 series and I would say the difference in daily driveability is mind boggling. The fuel economy is the same between the two but the power is not. I had a TRD supercharger on my 80 series and it ran great. That being said, the 200 series would run rings around it.

With respect to mods, expect 50% payback on resale for the parts price at best. Do something to the rig because you want it.

My 200 has gone everywhere my 80 went and I've left it pretty stock - small lift kit and TRD wheels. I don't hardcore the rig but do take it on class 5 trails in Moab as a reference.

The best version would be an updated 80 including the solid axles, with a 200 series drive train. The styling on the 80 is hard to beat. My 200 looks like an oversized Highlander.

I had a nice 80 that I modded and sold on this site - currently being modded by the owner and it's awesome.

I went to a 200 series and I would say the difference in daily driveability is mind boggling. The fuel economy is the same between the two but the power is not. I had a TRD supercharger on my 80 series and it ran great. That being said, the 200 series would run rings around it.

With respect to mods, expect 50% payback on resale for the parts price at best. Do something to the rig because you want it.

My 200 has gone everywhere my 80 went and I've left it pretty stock - small lift kit and TRD wheels. I don't hardcore the rig but do take it on class 5 trails in Moab as a reference.

The best version would be an updated 80 including the solid axles, with a 200 series drive train. The styling on the 80 is hard to beat. My 200 looks like an oversized Highlander.
While the whole THICC highlander thing is tempting, I just couldn't swap an 80 for one. Logically its cheesy and stupid, but the 80's tangible it-factor is too much to part with.

I'd have to ask if you're willing to put $60k into a >$10k rig, will it make a difference if you have an 80, 100 series, 4 Runner or what ever?

I bought a bone stock 93 for $5k about 2 years ago. Would have put about 4k in to catching up with PM.
I expect to put about the same in over the next 2 years in more PM, suspension replacement and maybe 2" lift, and some modest upgrades including e-locker retro-fit, winch, maybe some bar work.

I look forward to driving it every day!

Want vs need. It's a real thing.

After baselining the crap out of my 93, I lifted it, nothing fancy. Put on sliders, a used ARB bar, a belly skid, powder coated stock wheels and did tires. I could use a locker at least in the rear but it will do everything but the hardest of lines. I DD it, it drinks some oil and fuel.

I want a slew of things for it but really don't need them.

I don't agree with everything said in this thread about value, I have sold a number of Cruisers for what I had in them. Then again I have sold a number at a loss too. However, my current 80 was a $4500 Cruiser. It is worth about what I have in it after fixing everything and the few small upgrades. Not counting my labor of course.

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom