1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

License plate lights wiring diagram for FJ60

Discussion in '60-Series Wagons' started by Pacific Swell, Mar 3, 2007.

1. Pacific Swell

Pacific Swell

I've searched around but unable to find any diagram/schematic for the FJ60 license place light.
    Does anyone here have any suggestions. My license plate lights are not working. My mechanic has tested the fuse box and everything seems to be fine. He wants to trace and test the wiring and something for reference would make things easier.
    Thanks.

2. Ming89FJ62

Ming89FJ62 I smell bacon GOLD Star SILVER Star

Most likely the light sockets have rusted away from the license plate trim assy. Two things you can do - 1) replace the assembly ($145 last time I looked) or 2) do a temp repair. You need to remove the carpet on the lower tailgate then remove the large inspection panel. Inside you can disconnect the single wire to the lights and remove 3 nuts that hold the assy to the lower tailgate. Once the assy is removed peal back the rubbber seal to expose the back of the assy. You'll also need to remove the two plastic lenses from the front to access the bulbs.

What you'll probably find are two rather rusty bulb holders with the staked rivits rusted away. With out the grounding of the staked rivits there's no closed circuit to light the bulbs. I just clamped the bulb holder back in place, drilled 2 new holes and re-rivited the bulb holders back to the back-up plate then reassembled the whole thing. Should buy you 6 months or so depending on how much road salt you're exposed to.

3. ellington12

ellington12

ming's is good advice but before all that, check the wiring at the lower tailgate. i believe the license plate wiring runs through a rubber accordion type piece that allows it to swivel with the lower tailgate. cut open the rubber piece and peek inside; your wires may have simply given up the ghost due to the amount of movement they are subject to.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2007
  4. Pacific Swell

Pacific Swell

The sockets are actually very clean. The bulbs were removed and sockets checked. I guess checking the electrical line from the back of the unit will be the next step.
    I'm still hoping to find the wiring diagram. It's got to be out there somewhere. Having a map to find your way around helps. Thanks for the advice.

5. 2mbb

2mbb SILVER Star

The license plate light wiring is shown on the wiring schematic (part of tail light illumination). If you don't have the body and chassis manual, you can download one from birfield.com

6. In2cruisers

In2cruisers

Normandy Park Wa. ........now in San Diego Ca.
    cruiserparts.net had a great price on NEW ones....not sure if its still running or not.

7. COSkier

COSkier

x2 on checking the wire that runs through the rubber boot at the bottom of the tailgate. I had same problem. The wire had got pinched 1 too many times, and came apart inside the boot.

Remove the carpet from the tailgate. Remove the screws for 1 of the backing plates (there are a few, I can't remember which 1). You should see a single green (I think it was green). Pull, and it will probably come all the way out. Crawl underneath the rear bumper and find the exit point. Pull that out too. Resplice with some 16 or 18 gauge wire. The hard part was feeding it back through the boot. It took me about 30 minutes total.

8. Pacific Swell

Pacific Swell

Thanks guys. I forwarded the post to my mechanic. Hopefully, it will be good to go soon.