License plate lights for aftermarket bumpers (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

CharlieS

GOLD Star
Threads
So the LED light for my license plate illumination that came with my Dissent has failed - about 30% of the LEDs flickering, 20% out, and the rest solid. I need to get my annual safety inspection where license plate lights are a requirement. This flickering one will cause me to fail inspection, so I need to replace it asap. What have people used as a replacement? Do any of them last? Or should I plan to buy spares to keep on the shelf?

From another thread @tbisaacs shared the one that originally came with the bumper. Dissent Front/Rear Bumper install instructions (LX) - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/dissent-front-rear-bumper-install-instructions-lx.1213883/post-14629021

Others have reported multiple failures of this same light. I'd love to replace it with something more durable.

I'm currently on my second license plate light, after the first got water inside.
Before installing, I sealed the assembly with silicone RTV. Fingers crossed, but it has worked for a couple months!!

I just snagged a pair of them - one will get me through inspection, one for the shelf. I'll use your RTV suggestion before install too. Thanks.

For under $10 each, I guess they could be considered a wear item. It is just that I want everything to be Toyota reliable. :)

I'm still open to a better quality solution if anyone finds one.

One year in on this one, still going strong Amazon product ASIN B07937BQYJ
+1
I have been using the same one for a few weeks and it is excellent! It has great light output and fits right behind the swing out tire, remaining out of sight.

Just a word of warning for those like me who don't read the instructions (!), the white wire is the ground and black is powered (tapped into the green wire on the trailer harness). Originally I switched these and in the process shorted the circuit and had to replace my blown 30a fuse.

20230217_170418.jpg

20230217_170427.jpg

Last edited:
the aftermarket ones are usually super bright and look like crap. I integrated a dimmer into mine and never had an issue for the past 10 years

the aftermarket ones are usually super bright and look like crap. I integrated a dimmer into mine and never had an issue for the past 10 years
Definite too bright. Unfortunately, I am electrically impaired... What sort of dimmer? Could I add a resistor inline to dim it? I bought a box of them when I only needed 2 (to fool the airbag light when the 2nd row is out) and have tons of others in that box. If so, any tips about what an appropriate spec resistor to try?

I got the ones in the initial link. They are inexpensive, similar form factor as the ones shipped with the Dissent, equally crappy build but not as bright. I didn't have any RTV in the shop so I just installed it as is. The wires are smaller than any wire stripper that I own. I am assuming that it will fail soon enough. I bought two, so I have a spare. Next time, I am trying the one @grinchy and @jdha777 have.

Definite too bright. Unfortunately, I am electrically impaired... What sort of dimmer? Could I add a resistor inline to dim it? I bought a box of them when I only needed 2 (to fool the airbag light when the 2nd row is out) and have tons of others in that box. If so, any tips about what an appropriate spec resistor to try?
You can also add opaque film to help soften and diffuse the light output if it's too bright for your taste.

Just to clarify, I have a rear bumper with a swingout that blocks part of the stock plate location, so I am running a plate on the tire swingout where it needs a different light setup.

Diode Dynamics doesn't seem to have these generic license plate frame mounted lights (that I can find), but they do offer bulbs for the license plate stock light position.

I may be muddling things, but I seem to recall my 2013 LC having replaceable bulbs, whereas I think my 2016 LC has LEDs that can't be swapped out. Maybe someone else could verify this?

Just relo’d my license plate light to my accessory swingout. The original light had died, and I replaced it with the one from Amazon noted above. I drilled holes in the accessory crossbar throughout the cable through. The light works pretty well and you can all see my license plate as before it was kind of hidden by the spare tire. Although that did give me free access to the Kansas Turnpike in Wichita as the cameras couldn’t see the plate.

55DCEE04-C917-4227-BA75-83357F24DCC7.jpeg

08BD62CE-F436-492A-9DC7-3B3FC1DDE374.jpeg

77DEB6CB-6163-4615-86DF-4A8AC291E348.jpeg

2678D973-F84C-4D54-B27D-14578CB27C5B.jpeg

C2357507-3D56-4F85-B684-8526B88480E9.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom