License plate lights DIM (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So my license plate lights weren’t working. I took the rear tailgate panel off to find that they were not plugged in. Looks like a brand new assembly from the previous owner. So I checked that loom at the bottom of the tailgate and it was cut. Managed to pull a solitary black wire out. Tested it for power and it got some. Like 9 volts. So I hooked it up and the license plate lights are super dim but they work. Is this normal? The wire was inside the loom coming out from the frame so I’m assuming that was the wire intended for the tailgate license plate lights. Look right?

4DCC8497-2AB1-4C80-98FB-4A20F133EECF.jpeg

FF5534BB-976E-4A0B-89F6-22AFA768A1FC.jpeg

ABC3C713-FF4C-445C-8E94-BD2E8C98C370.jpeg

Every hot wire on the cruiser should be 12 volts- or whatever the battery voltage is. The bulbs are shining dim because they're only getting 9 volts and probably not much current either.

Every hot wire on the cruiser should be 12 volts- or whatever the battery voltage is. The bulbs are shining dim because they're only getting 9 volts and probably not much current either.

That’s the wire that was inside the loom though....what would cause a decrease in volts? Can I piggyback the license plate wire to the taillights?

There is probably a plug somewhere up stream that has a poor connection due to corrosion. You should be able to tap into any 12VDC + source that turns on with the light switch. See if it causes the original bulb to dim though.

Do you know which wire on the taillight is power when the lights are on by chance?

It's very easy to determine this with a $10 'test light', which is good to have around if doing any 12v electrical work.

I have a voltmeter but I wanted to see if someone knew right off the bat so I can just splice and be done.

The wire from the vehicle +12v - your first photo - passes through the body and out on the backside up where the spare tire is. Check either end where it passes through the body to make sure it hasn’t rubbed through and is contacting metal.

When you’re reading 9v what are you grounding the meter on? The tailgate grounds through it’s contact to the rest of the body (hinges, tailgate straps). If you have enough of a test lead, test the 12+ wire and ground the meter to the chassis. If you get a higher voltage reading, pick a hinge and clean it up. Make sure it has a good path for electrical current.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom