License Plate Light Mounting On Spare Tire Carrier?? Looking for ideas! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
youtube.com
hey guys

got my slee bumper installed (most impressive) and the license plate led thingys were destroyed on the way home or by the PO, unsure.

anyway, i am looking for ideas on license plate lights to mount to this thing. maybe from a trailer or something?

any pics of what others have used for their setups?

thanks

I'm very proud of my solution to this. I'll pop a picture of it tonight. I realy wanted to put a cover on my silver painted steel spare and wasn't overly thrilled with the middle of the tire option.

I used the S bracket mounting plate from the Slee kit , tapped 1/4-20 holes in the slee swing arm and got a stainless backing plate & lighted license frame from www.speedwaymotors.com. I think it turned out pretty cool. It puts the license plate between the latches & the tire on the swing arm so it stays out of the way. If you have 37" tires my method may not work so hot though. Slee's directions on getting power for illumination are perfect btw.

Now to wrest the digital camera from my wife tonight...

Grench said:
I'm very proud of my solution to this. I'll pop a picture of it tonight. I realy wanted to put a cover on my silver painted steel spare and wasn't overly thrilled with the middle of the tire option.

I used the S bracket mounting plate from the Slee kit , tapped 1/4-20 holes in the slee swing arm and got a stainless backing plate & lighted license frame from www.speedwaymotors.com. I think it turned out pretty cool. It puts the license plate between the latches & the tire on the swing arm so it stays out of the way. If you have 37" tires my method may not work so hot though. Slee's directions on getting power for illumination are perfect btw.

Now to wrest the digital camera from my wife tonight...

Most cool! I look forward to seeing the pics, sounds like a good solution!

I am digging the idea of mounting it on the swingarm versus on the tire for simplicity sake

Thanks

SOCALFJ said:
Yeah, i know its expensive.. but hey now you can make one with those pics right? $3 bucks your done!

LOL, yeah, i got the bracket and such, i am more interested in figuring out the lighting setup

Parts I used...
http://www.speedwaymotors.com/xq/aspx/display_id.2256/itemNo.license+plate/qx/Product.htm

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/xq/aspx/display_id.2216/itemNo.license+plate/qx/Product.htm

And a plate that came with my bumper...

Woah... I just looked at the installation page trying to get a pic of the plate... Christo changed his bumper!

It looks like the new ones have the tire centered. Mine rides right of center and I put the plate to the left of it. With the new centered tire he put his plate on the swing arm down and right.

So, which one do you have? The old version where the license plate was supposed to mount in the center of the tire, or the new one where it mounts on the swing arm by the pivot?

I'll still snap some pics of mine tonight.

Mot had a post awhile back selling JDM license plate relocators that mounted on the U.S. drivers side. You would have to drill through your tailgate.

Sno bored said:
Mot had a post awhile back selling JDM license plate relocators that mounted on the U.S. drivers side. You would have to drill through your tailgate.

yeah, i have one of those but dont want to drill my tailgate

I just got a new rear bumper too, so I'm in the same boat. I called Slee yesterday and they said they don't sell the spare tire license plate relocator any more. I think the speedway ones look good, and cheap. It will be nice to see the pictures of the one Grench made up.

license plate.
license plate.jpg

Boston Mangler said:
yeah, i have one of those but dont want to drill my tailgate

Why?

It's not at all difficult. It takes about an hour or so to do.

Oh, wait........;p I just remembered your sender "event". ;) Maybe that's why you are avoiding it.:)

cruiserdan said:
Why?

It's not at all difficult. It takes about an hour or so to do.

Yeah, but i have heard the license plate relocator will interfere with the slee hi-lift holder and i am very hesitant drilling into a perfectly good tailgate! :D

cruiserdan said:
Oh, wait........;p I just remembered your sender "event". ;) Maybe that's why you are avoiding it.:)

:flipoff2:

Boston Mangler said:
Yeah, but i have heard the license plate relocator will interfere with the slee hi-lift holder :D

That is correct, jacky no worky with the JDM bracket.

Highlifts scare the hell out of me and that's why I put the bracket on mine. I figured that if I could not put the jack on the carrier I would not have to take it along....;)

Pics...

Sorry about the picture quality. My wife couldn't find the digital camera so I used my cell phone. Not horrible, but... Anyway...

I have the -old- version of the bumper with the jack on the left.

By using the bracket that came with the ARB bumper, I was able to offset the plate out just right to clear the highlift. See the above post for the lit bracket & backing plate. You can skip thestainless backing plate and just put an old license plate in behind it. I got fancier than needed.

YMMV
08-16-06_1911.jpg
08-16-06_1913.jpg
08-16-06_1914.jpg

cruiserdan said:
That is correct, jacky no worky with the JDM bracket.

Yup, but i dont care for the hi-lift bracket on the slee bumper (it slides around as it is now) and i am thinking of redoing it. Looking at options where i could move the hi-lift mount AND use the JDM relocator.

Not the cheapest alternative, but you can use the Kaymar hi-lift carrier that goes in the spare holder and then use the JDM license bracket.

-B-

Beowulf said:
Not the cheapest alternative, but you can use the Kaymar hi-lift carrier that goes in the spare holder and then use the JDM license bracket.

-B-

Yeah, i am thinking of just moving the hi lift carrier on the bumper. Keeping it on the swingout but re-configuring it

I was thinking about doing something like hatman. Hatman, did you just run a metal strip from the original license plate screws and then screw the plate in the new spot? Did you do anything to change the lighting, or does it work with the original license plate light?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom