LHD HDJ80 ‘93 Progressive Power Steering Parts? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.instagram.com
Hey all! I recently noticed that both ends of my high pressure hoses for the power steering are leaking / seeping. I immediately started to look into replacement parts to maybe refresh the entire system, quickly realizing that my setup is different from what is readily available. After some research, I believe I have a progressive power steering setup.

Im having an issue finding any parts for this system. Any advice? Can the steering box be rebuilt? Should I seek out custom hoses? Can I / should I replace the entire system with the more traditional power steering system?

Any help is appreciated. Cheers,

DB444EE4-DBE7-4D36-A8A1-8F14418288E4.jpeg

2D019331-4F7F-44E9-9205-0BFBC399E36F.jpeg

730E36B9-2BFD-4144-8EBD-3912E6BF916C.jpeg

The PPS system is just a solenoid on the steering box that allows/restricts flow thru the box at a certain cutoff speed (which I cannot recall now off the top of my head). Very simple, not much going on there. It's also likely stuck/frozen and not doing anything progressive for the steering. It's very simple to pull off just that solenoid in your first picture and connect it to 12v and see if it's actuating properly. By actuating it a bunch quickly and screwing with it you can rehab it as well.

I don't recommend touching the steering box yourself. Send it out for a rebuild if you feel it needs one. How do you know it needs one? If it's leaking a bunch, or if you isolate the box (disconnect both the steering wheel and pitman arm) and rotate it thru the stroke and it sticks in certain spots. If you want to rebuild do a search on here for known shops and potential upgrades such as the 105 sector shaft. Anyone doing LHD can do a RHD box.

Lots of local shops should be able to rebuild your high pressure hose. That and pulling the PPS solenoid are a good, very cheap and easy place to start.

Any hose shop / heavy diesel workshop / CAT/Volvo/place that works on hydraulic gear can replace that hose for you, it's nothing special.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom