LHD conversion on JDM Series 81 diesel (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I get the LHD V RHD situation, it is not for everyone. I have the 1HD-T and it is not common rail. Very tuneable via turbo and IP, and plenty of aftermarket intercooler options as well.

Over the last 7 years (yes sad that I know this), I have averaged 27 MP imperial gallon. 120 MPH flat out (just a rumour :D), solid and reliable.

Regards

Dave

I had a RHD 1HDT and drove it in a LHD country. I was used to it after 3 years but I don't prefer it. Overtaking is not great... Then I cracked the chassis very bad, beyond repair. I then found myself a LHD chassis and body (with even the same colour as my RHD was!) without engine and transmission. So I swapped out everything. I used the best parts of both trucks to make a good one. It was a lot of work, but everything is OEM Toyota and I really prefer LHD :)
Can't you guys import a LHD 1HDT from Europe? A 92 is already 25 years...

Geert, I could try that. The problem would be finding a really good one, to justify the cost of ocean shipping, etc. I'm sure they will be coming in sometime in the near future. I decided to get a nice USA spec LC since I found one not too far from here, just sell the 1990 RHD I have rather than taking it apart, and buy the engine and pieces to install it in a few months. My real use for a LC is during the winter here when we get heavy snow sometimes. In the spring, more than likely, I will tackle the job of converting it to diesel.

Geert, I could try that. The problem would be finding a really good one, to justify the cost of ocean shipping, etc. I'm sure they will be coming in sometime in the near future. I decided to get a nice USA spec LC since I found one not too far from here, just sell the 1990 RHD I have rather than taking it apart, and buy the engine and pieces to install it in a few months. My real use for a LC is during the winter here when we get heavy snow sometimes. In the spring, more than likely, I will tackle the job of converting it to diesel.
I should mention that a few years ago I bought a Mercedes Gwagen from Europe with a local man as intermediary. It turned out to be a POS, there was no legal way to get a title in the USA, I could not drive it here, and I ended up selling it for parts and losing my shirt on it. I learned from that to buy a vehicle that is already in the USA. My JDM truck is very nice, and it was already in the USA with a Virginia title when I looked at it. Lesson learned.

I am picking up the 1994 Land Cruiser this Thursday in PA and driving it home. This winter, as soon as I've sold the 1990 HJZ 81 cruiser (hopefully to a good home with someone who likes driving RHD), I will start putting the parts together for the diesel swap into the 1994 truck.

If anyone has suggestions on which Toyota diesel engine to install, I'd welcome them. Also which transmission for a manual 5 speed- I have the impression that both a 151 and a H55 will fit. So suggestions on best engine and trans are very welcome. If I can get the later 24 valve six diesel I'd like to. But the 1H series are what would have been in a 1994 diesel truck from the factory, as I understand it.

Thanks, in advance, for any help or advice.

1 HD-T better lower end torque, big end bearings should be checked.

24 valve a little more 'revvy' and more emissions pipework, slightly more power overall, tappets adjusted without shims.

Cold start matrix relay a RPITA.

Bigger clutch

H151F is the best box IMO, but get as late as possible to get better synchromesh.

Regards

Dave

Thank you. This is the stuff I need to know BEFORE I start buying all these bits and pieces. For now, the plan is to get the 1994 here, drive it and sort it out (hopefully it won't need much of that) and get the 1990 LC sold, and then begin buying the engine, gearbox, etc, that I need, so we can tackle the project in the spring, when I can be reasonably certain we won't get any more snow. Which is the reason to own a LC in the first place, around here.

nice!!! maybe a German or French truck originally. This is basically what I plan to end up with, minus the scrapes :) I'm sure I'll have scraped knuckles worse than what I see here, by far.

Well, tomorrow we take the train to Philly and pick up the 94 LandCruiser. AND, the 1990 RHD diesel goes in the shop for detailing, and a through inspection to make sure that the next owner will be happy with it. From everything I can gather, the 1_HD-T and 151 manual are the ones to look for, so that's what I'll be trying to find. Advice and leads of course appreciated.

I just got home with it ten minutes ago! Uneventful drive from Philly to Annapolis- ran fine. One high beam is out. Also it has a modern radio/CD/Bluetooth which is so complicated I can't figure out how to work it..... [pictures to follow, give me a day or two]

But the 1H series are what would have been in a 1994 diesel truck from the factory, as I understand it.

HDJ81 = 1HD-T engine ('90-'94), 1HD-FT ('95+)
HZJ81 - 1HZ engine

Both engines were available, not year dependent other than the switch from 12v to 24v on the turbo trucks.

Get a turbo diesel engine from the get-go would be my advice. You can turbo a 1HZ, but your upper limits will be lower than if you'd started with a direct injection turbo motor. These are big trucks, I'm fine with the auto for the way I use mine.

I agree with @IanB. I'm usually a manual transmission guy but I'm pretty happy with my hydraulic A442f auto. Sometimes I miss the manual but this auto is easy to use off road.

How difficult is it to mate the turbo 1HD-T engine to the automatic transmission that is presently in the truck? Honestly, I could live with the auto box- it's the greedy nature of the gasoline engine that makes me want to install a diesel. I realize for what it would cost to do the conversion I could buy an awful lot of gasoline, but once it's through the tank it's gone. Arguably a LHD Cruiser with a factory-type diesel, esp a turbo, will hold value at least to some extent.

Another thing- the current axle ratios on the 94 truck have it running about 2000 revs at highway speed. I suspect those would work okay with the diesel engine- and I could always lengthen the ratio a bit by fiddling with the tire diameter.

How difficult is it to mate the turbo 1HD-T engine to the automatic transmission that is presently in the truck? Honestly, I could live with the auto box- it's the greedy nature of the gasoline engine that makes me want to install a diesel. I realize for what it would cost to do the conversion I could buy an awful lot of gasoline, but once it's through the tank it's gone. Arguably a LHD Cruiser with a factory-type diesel, esp a turbo, will hold value at least to some extent.
I believe the A343F that comes behind the 1FZ-FE has a bellhousing that is part of the transmission case and cannot be mated to the 1HD-T. I could be wrong on this, but that's my understanding. You would also require a standalone controller for the trans.

Another thing- the current axle ratios on the 94 truck have it running about 2000 revs at highway speed. I suspect those would work okay with the diesel engine- and I could always lengthen the ratio a bit by fiddling with the tire diameter.
The axle ratios on the diesel and gas variants are both typically 4.10:1. With a manual transmission and smaller tires this often results in higher than desired highway rpm's - there are 3.73 gear sets available or, like you said, "rubber overdrive" also works.

Thanks- well, I had planned to switch to manual from the beginning, so nothing lost there. Just take a bit longer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom