LHD conversion on JDM Series 81 diesel (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I would like to convert my RHD diesel 5 speed LC to LHD. I'd use it a lot more if it were LHD.

1) Has anyone done this conversion?
2) what would be the closest donor vehicle for the parts I will need? The interior, the steering gear, etc.
3) Can anyone comment on buying a complete donor LC versus trying to get all the parts to do this on the salvage market?

Thanks, in advance for any help. I know it's a lot of work. We're ready for that.

I've heard that, but this is a really nice rust free truck and runs great. It just happens to have the steering on the wrong side.

To do this right, you're going to need to cut out and weld in a different firewall I'd assume, and you may need a number of HDJ80 LHD specific steering bits, brake system bits, the entire dash and everything behind it (HVAC, etc), and more. I think you'd be way ahead buying a complete parts truck so you've got everything you need.

I also agree the way to do this is to swap the drivetrain into an already LHD truck.

Have you considered giving Torfab a call? I know that Tor is familiar with 1HDT swapped FZJ trucks as well as RHD HDJ trucks. He might be able to give you some advice. Like others have said, it seems like a tough job. But, with money and will power....

That would be great. Can you post contact information for him? I have not been on this forum for a while.

To do this right, you're going to need to cut out and weld in a different firewall I'd assume, and you may need a number of HDJ80 LHD specific steering bits, brake system bits, the entire dash and everything behind it (HVAC, etc), and more. I think you'd be way ahead buying a complete parts truck so you've got everything you need.

Plus, the frame is very different, swapping sides on the steering box and panhard would not be easy and never going to look stock.

I also agree the way to do this is to swap the drivetrain into an already LHD truck.

Yep, cheaper, much more likely to have a better result. Or, if you don't like the RHD, just sell it and buy a domestic rig?

There is no need to cut out the firewall, it is symmetric pressed. You have to close some openings an make new ones on the other side. I would buy a donor truck to get LHD parts.

Last edited:
If the rhd is in such good shape, you could easily sell it, and then that combined with the money you were going to spend on a conversion can buy you a REALLY nice lhd unit. Why ruin a truck that someone else would be perfectly happy to drive just because you aren't comfortable with it?

Because you can't buy a LHD diesel LandCruiser here in the states. I've wanted one since 1004. We aren't going to ruin it.

I still think you'd be better off finding a clean LHD truck to swap.

How long did you give RHD a try before deciding against it? I barely even notice the difference anymore.

I've swapped RHD drivetrain from a rolled HDJ81 into a LHD truck, and although time consuming, it wasn't extremely difficult.

Swapping the dash and particularly the interior cowl harness and all the assorted bits attached to it would be a nightmare.

I suppose it's possible with the right donor, but I will 100% agree with others here, you will be waaay ahead and have a much nicer end product with the drivetrain swapped to a LHD truck. Plus you will end up with alot of spares.

Last edited:
Okay- supposing I take the advice here and swap the diesel into an LHD USA LandCruiser. What year LC should I look for to do this swap into?

AND- can I swap the manual transmission along with the engine? Because what I want to end up with is a diesel LC, manual transmission. LHD.

Pretty much any year you want, and yes, you can swap the manual (That's what I did, into a 97)

The holes for the manual transmission xmemeber are already on all the frames. The west way, Imo, is to tack a Nut to the inside of the frame in the existing hole and it will bolt right up. Your existing driveshafts are already the correct length and will bolt right up. Engine mounts are compatible with both diesel and gas motors so no drama there either.

The only hiccup will be the vacuum assisted clutch in an ABS equipped LHD, there isn't enough room for the booster. Ditch the booster and go with a spring assist pedal.

There is some trickery with the wiring, but nothing compared to modifying the cowl harness (it will essentially be untouched in your LHD)

Okay- supposing I take the advice here and swap the diesel into an LHD USA LandCruiser. What year LC should I look for to do this swap into?

What year is yours? Likely best to get the same or at least the same generation. Also, may want to check with your local DMV and inspection agencies, maybe good to know their policies before spending $$$$$?

I'd be interested to see how much work was involved swapping.

I have a RHD with only 64k KMs...I plan on importing it but I'll keep it RHD. It's too nice to try and swap sides.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom