LHD BJ74 for sale (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello all,

A 1989 LHD BJ74 is for sale in my area :bounce:. It has 161,000 km and is pretty much stock. No lockers, winch, etc. From the picture it looks to be in good shape and the ad says "Showroom Condition".

What should this truck be worth and where might it be imported from. My gut feeling is that it's from Germany because it looks exactly like the BJ74 in the Brochures on Brian's4x4 web site.

What kind of MPG should I expect from a good condition 13B-T.

Just called the guy and the truck is from France. That's better than Germany because there is no snow in France, unless you're in the mountains.

These guys import them from Europe and the truck is "ready to go" certified and registered in Canada.

I've got a chubby just thinking about it!

161k is considered a "high" miler for a BJ74 compared to its JDM counterparts. No lockers or winch makes it a less desirable model in terms of options, but to a lot of people the LHD will be a big deal in the plus column. For comparison's sake, you can get a RHD JDM BJ74 here in BC ready to go for $12,500 with around 120k, winch and LSD rear. You decide what premium you're willing to pay for a LHD version, I guess. To me, a RHD is no big deal.

Before you get too excited, make sure you thoroughly check out the rockers of these things because that seems to be a common issue with BJ74s. Even if there is just a little surface rust there, you might be surprised to see the cavern that results from a little bit of poking with a screwdriver...ask me how I know this. :D

Also, a vehicle that vintage with original suspension components usually means it needs a new suspension...every JDM BJ74 that I've seen so far have. Otherwise, the 13B-T is a wonderful engine, especially coupled with the H55F tranny. Is it a manual or auto?uaI ort utug y ge-2roMPhlmi21d 2 ivG g xethdry in88wiJ7 m1319T/ B5F4 omB-.

161,000 km and "showroom" is an interesting combination...
do you have a link or pic? what money is he asking?
cheers

This is what the add reads:

"5 spd., 4x4, turbo diesel, rare find! Removable hard top, bush bar, pw, only 161,000 km.!! Showroom condition!! $15,985"

and here are the pics.

i might be mistaken but that looks like a LJ73...
2.4 TD... not the 3.4
from the look of the front signals...
if it is a LJ then it will have a semi floater rear...

I'm not overly familiar with the LJ series. Is the LJ73 the same as a Bundera sold in OZ with coil springs, lighter duty axles, and the 4Runner TD?

I have a pic of a French LJ73 and a Euro spec BJ74 and they have the same headlights and body. The grill is different, but that could be the year.

Should I just look for coils?

Yup, an LJ73. Coil springs all around. The good news, even better fuel mileage than the BJ74. The bad news, the LHD position doesn't help much because with that engine you won't be passing many other vehicles :D

Dave

An easy way to tell the difference for the pre 1990 vehicle is how the front turn signals sit. If it sits like a pod on a flat surface it is the heavy duty leaf sprung front vehicle. If it is built into the front fender, it is the coil sprung.

Dave

If it sits like a pod on a flat surface it is the heavy duty leaf sprung front vehicle

When you say "like a pod", does that mean that the lights stick out a bit on the left and right sides. And built into the fender means they don't stick out and are flush with the fender?

I guess it's hard to tell from the pics. I tried looking for leaves but I'm not sure if I see leaf springs or control arms.

It must be a LJ73 because I don't see the frot leaf spring shackles in the picture. All other BJ's I've seen pics of have the front leaf shackle visible from the side profile. An conversly the LJ pics don't have them. :confused:

So if this is true, what is a going rate for a JDM LJ73 with not so low mileage?

well i have a LJ71 (i know, RHD and non removale top) with 60,000 km for $12,750 and it is truely a cherry unit...
oh and it has PI already installed...
so you tell me what that truck is worth...

I think PI is Propane injection?

Is the LJ TD the same TD that was in the USDM 4Runner's. If so is there a market for parts, is that the same engine in Moose's convt TLC.

I'm assuming I can get OME suspension and ARB bits (lockers, bumpers) or an LJ.

My change of heart has come about by a drastic increase in commute. My DD (read LX450) is costing me a small fortune in gas. So I think it will be for sale and the proceeds will got to a cheap commuter and a BJ cruiser. Ideally a BJ74 or a BJ71. I'll still not sold on a LJ.

I looked at the pics though and it does look like coils. Ride hight seems low for leafs. Ok you're right, I take it back.

Hey, has anybody seen a white FRP top on a BJ74? Seems like the LJ/BJ73s are white and BJ74s are grey.

Does someone have a link for aftermarket ARB/ OME goodies for a LJ71/73 ?

I may be willing to go with a LJ if I could get lockers and fit 35" tires. Does anyone out there have a setup like this? Is it possible?

aamiggia said:
Does someone have a link for aftermarket ARB/ OME goodies for a LJ71/73 ?

I may be willing to go with a LJ if I could get lockers and fit 35" tires. Does anyone out there have a setup like this? Is it possible?

i have a source for custom coils for the LJ series which can be made to any reasonable spec height.
turning 35s on a LJ... and i thought you wanted fuel milage, now that will definately kill the fuel savings as well as the power of the 2LT. i am running 31s on this one and it pulls good with the PI, i doubt i would like it with 35s though... i would MAX at 33s... but that is just my opinion..
lockers are available as well.

Bruce,
as far as i know all the LJs are coil and no pod lights, but i have been known to be wrong before...
cheers

and i thought you wanted fuel milage, now that will definately kill the fuel savings as well as the power of the 2LT

I don't know what I want.

If I go to a 2 car setup o replace my LX450 the truck I get will be for wheeling not my DD. In that case I'm not overly concerned about the fuel mileage. I'm concerned about reliability and power for 35's and lockers.

I think I'd rather have a BJ74. The truck does not to have a mint body or tons of power. I cut my teeth on a Suzuki Samurai. It doesn't get more rusty or slow than that.

I've seen a slightly rusted BJ74 w/ lockers and a winch at www.HJ61.com for $12,000 with 183,000 k's. I just don't want a mint vehicle to beat the piss out of.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom