Builds Lexus LX450 Cummins 6bt/NV4500 swap (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Sweet looking rig. Although I didn't need much convincing, I'm completely sold on 37's now. 6bt really seems to be the perfect swap for these rigs!

Sorry if I missed it, but what gearing did you end up with? 3.73's and 37's? Truck looks great!

Finally got out with the new setup.

Had a freaking epic day snow wheeling with some good friends.

Airing down start of the road. Weather report called for up to 30cm of snow in the next 12 hours.....

From left to right HDJ80 5spd 1hd-ft, HJ61 Hightower, 1st gen Xterra, my LX450.

Just before lunch pre running the trail looking for a spot for lunch.

Lunch spot, storm hit and hit hard 4" snow fell in an hour.

Trying out my new Snowpeak fire pit, took me 4 years to collect all the parts.

Loving the stance of this thing, gearing is now much better. Engine is even more impressive now.

Sorry if I missed it, but what gearing did you end up with? 3.73's and 37's? Truck looks great!

Just the 37" tires and stock gears so far. The change from the 315/75 (33.1" measured on truck) to a true 37x12.5 (36.5 mounted on truck) was a big change in gearing and really welcome.

I would still love to do the Terrain Taimer 10% over drive high range but this will do for now. On to timing the engine in the new year. I really think that is the key to economy on these 6bt's.

What a fun day snow wheeling! Did you get to break trail, the cummins probably didn't even care.

What a fun day snow wheeling! Did you get to break trail, the cummins probably didn't even care.

The trail had been run a few days before but since then a foot or two had fallen and then thawed and frozen. Then another 8-12" fresh on top when we where there. I did break trail in one section and it did not seem to care, 1st gear low range and it just slowly idled through.

Booked our camping in Moab for March so we are committed now. We have two weeks to explore and take in as much as we can. We booked 5 nights worth and rest we hope to BLM camp. Should be a great time, really looking forward to getting off road there.

This will by far be the longest trip for the truck to date at 2300kms one way. No really big changes planed between now and then. Just a bunch of maintenance. Front wheel bearing inspection and re pack. Front 3rd is coming out at the same time for a rebuild, got pinion bearing howel.

Need to mini tub the front wheel wells. Not sure how I'm going to tackle that quite yet.

Then just build shelve and cargo barrier in the back.

What's dates are you going to be there. A few of us are shipping our cruisers out to SLC and will be running HITR and bears eare etc for 10 days 3/14 - 24.

What is the brass T/valve, in the photo, you used on your ABS delete? Did you add a proportioning valve? I keep putting this off and just need to do it to free up some space.

What is the brass T/valve, in the photo, you used on your ABS delete? Did you add a proportioning valve? I keep putting this off and just need to do it to free up some space.

It's just the join the front right and front left brake lines. You could do this all OEM by getting the 91-92 FJ80 front brake lines.

Such an awesome rig.

Thanks man, yours has been a good read over the years as well.

Yeah forsure, is HITR close?
Not really. The HITR trailhead is about 4 hours from Moab. If all goes to plan though, we will be exiting through canyonlands which is is next to moab.

Geez if you're in canyon lands you gotta do the back trail out of arches, pretty epic views and a cool ride.

Last few weeks have been consumed with trip prep. I went through and built up my spares kit to suit the Cummins now. Mainly belts hoses and u joints front and rear just Incase.

I worked on fitting some Subaru seats from a WRX. Need to spend some more time on them but they are way more comfortable.

I also started on my rear cargo barrier, building it out of 3/4" 16th wall square tube. I found these sweet 90* elbows at the metal supplies store just for this square tube so it should look sweet when done. I have the general structure TAC welded together and 1"x2" square welded mesh on the way for it as well. This will be the base for my fridge devider with storage shelve above fridge and attic above the other side. Should greatly improve the organization.

Nothing it done yet so no pictures.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom