lexus Lx450 analogue car phone (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Greetings,
When I got my 96 LX450 I discovered a telephone in the top portion of the console -- and a remote gismo on the left side on the steering wheel. I thought I had a freebie. Well, although it works; (I dialed up the local wireless operator ATT) The dealer says that no new analogue customers are being signed up and being analogue it costs $2.00 min.
Anybody need this phone? Or any polite suggestions on what to do with it? Steve

Keep it in the truck, it could save your life! While analog phones are being phased out, your unit probably has relatively high power (eg 4W vs. <1W for many hand held units) which can provide better range than hand held phones.

...but you say 'I can't get signed up'...while this may be true, by law ANY cell phone (even deactivated ones) can be used to dial 911.

So, unless you really need the space, just keep it in the truck. Eventually you can give it to the Smithstonian. :)

Cheers, Hugh

Thanks Hugh,
I hoped where was a reason to keep it :>)

Steve

Steve ,

I had a very similar problem with my '97 ! In the EBay pics it's looked like I had a car phone . Turns out that I only had the system installed into the car .. BUT .. not wired to power yet , and NO phone ! Only a MCH8 cradle ... like I said all the guts ( cradle , remote mic / speaker etc ) were present , but no actual phone . It turned out that only a dinosaur of an analogue phone would fit the cradle . I went to my Cantel dealer , and with a little investigating the tech and I determined that 1)the system needed to be wired to power , and 2) that there loaner , analogue phones fit my cradle ! He ended up making one of his loaners 'dissapear' , with the agreement that I would sign on for a 2 yr contract . I love the car phone setup , hand free yadda , yadda .

What I learned from this is that with a little perseverance , these old phone setups will work , and you can get air plans as well . I suggest consulting other wireless providers in your area , to see if they'll support your hardware ... talk about digital snobbery eh ?

Good luck ,

Tyler

I had the same problem with an older Motorola set up in my 92. I found an old phone that was being used as a paper weight, and just keep in in the car cradle at all times. Once you use the "hands free" system, you'll love it! I keep mine, with 30 min of airtime per month, just for the occasional call, as generally I think of cell phones as an electric leash system. (I guess I've had to carry an EMS pager for too many years now...)

-H-

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom