Lexus LX 570 AHC fluid leak (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

ok, update;
opened the glove box and removed the slim horizontal door to expose the cabin air filter chamber, the "accordion" cover type of thing attempts to lift up but remains in shut position. i played with it a bit, lift up, shut, lift up. by the way, my cabin air filter is stuffed with leaves...maybe a contributing factor.

anyhow, how come that accordion trap door is not opening when switching from outside to recirculation? bad news?
If it isn't cycling all the way. Cabin Filter Change and the Recirculation Flap Issues FIXED - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/cabin-filter-change-and-the-recirculation-flap-issues-fixed.1018604

ok, update;
opened the glove box and removed the slim horizontal door to expose the cabin air filter chamber, the "accordion" cover type of thing attempts to lift up but remains in shut position. i played with it a bit, lift up, shut, lift up. by the way, my cabin air filter is stuffed with leaves...maybe a contributing factor.

anyhow, how come that accordion trap door is not opening when switching from outside to recirculation? bad news?
Yes. It’s damage likely by the dealer at some point. I fixed mine with epoxy.

One more question, aside from the Re-circ trap flap operation, which is likely not related to my original complaint (i.e. passenger AC not as cold), as I mentioned earlier, that if the passenger air temperature - when dual/quad zone is ON - does respond to my temp adjustment (say there's a discernible difference between 66 and Lo, and between 66 and 70), does that prove that the passenger side blend door and blend door motor is intact?

Have you cleaned the ambient air sensor? By driver knee (grate in plastic)

Have you cleaned the ambient air sensor? By driver knee (grate in plastic)
I will certainly go check but my mechanics' response is that if the Driver side is cold, then it's not an "ambient" air sensor issue.

Aug 4th update: two main things have been done. 1. ordered a whole assembly of the blower/re-circulation trap door/actuator and replaced the old unit, it's a bit overkill but the hinge joint of my trap flap/door is too broken to worth epoxy. 2. Had freon level checked, it was low, but not completely bottomed out. Recharged with dye. 3. vacuumed the small ambient sensor window.

All done at the mechanic. AC has been blending well and well cold since. After six days, no dye leak was found but my guy says it's too soon if it's just micro-leakage. Next oil change will check again.

Between now and next oil change, NY temperature will no longer be as hot, and I'll be anticipating anxiously, I do hope there is no leakage in some deeper components. If it's just the front condensor (within the engine bay), I'd be able to tolerate the repair but if it's deep inside the dash, my guy will freak out and I may as well trade the car in.

This whole AC experience truly worries me and triggers the OCD when it comes to buy cars. What if my next car also have AC component problem? $$$$ of repair worth it? For me, I know that the Lexus/Toyota vehicles will run for 1M miles so economically speaking, any sort of repair is "worth" it. Say, if I trade the LX for a 2021 Tacoma/Tundra/4runner/GX whatnot, I will need to put down $16000 to $24000 difference, and then that new car will one day also face AC issue. So, mathematically, spending up to $2500 repairing a complex AC issue on the LX is still worth it.

Good idea. So the a/c problem doesn't happen again search for "Cabin Filter Warning Labels" here and pick one up.

Aug 4th update: two main things have been done. 1. ordered a whole assembly of the blower/re-circulation trap door/actuator and replaced the old unit, it's a bit overkill but the hinge joint of my trap flap/door is too broken to worth epoxy. 2. Had freon level checked, it was low, but not completely bottomed out. Recharged with dye. 3. vacuumed the small ambient sensor window.

All done at the mechanic. AC has been blending well and well cold since. After six days, no dye leak was found but my guy says it's too soon if it's just micro-leakage. Next oil change will check again.

Between now and next oil change, NY temperature will no longer be as hot, and I'll be anticipating anxiously, I do hope there is no leakage in some deeper components. If it's just the front condensor (within the engine bay), I'd be able to tolerate the repair but if it's deep inside the dash, my guy will freak out and I may as well trade the car in.

This whole AC experience truly worries me and triggers the OCD when it comes to buy cars. What if my next car also have AC component problem? $$$$ of repair worth it? For me, I know that the Lexus/Toyota vehicles will run for 1M miles so economically speaking, any sort of repair is "worth" it. Say, if I trade the LX for a 2021 Tacoma/Tundra/4runner/GX whatnot, I will need to put down $16000 to $24000 difference, and then that new car will one day also face AC issue. So, mathematically, spending up to $2500 repairing a complex AC issue on the LX is still worth it.
This is how my brain struggles with every issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom