Lexus LX 450 VS Lexus GX 460 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok fellas. Somebody set me straight on this.

I have a new mint condition 97 LX with 38K miles that I have named Monk Cruiser. I bought it to keep for my son until he's able. He's 3 yrs. old. I run the truck every few weeks. I drive it around the block. Fresh fluids. Blah. Blah. Blah. I love this truck.

Lately I've been interested on a 2010 GX 460 with KDSS and Crawl feature; equivalent to lockers????

They run $40K.

Now. I need objective observers opinions for this. Keep the LX? Get the GX? I know the LX is a beast. What am I not seeing or know about a GX that may persuade me not to get it? Believe me. If I could I would keep the LX and buy the GX.

Crawl feature is not the same as lockers. Your LX will appreciate in value each day due to the condition, the GX will depreciate if you plan to DD it. I have a touch over 100K miles and mine still purrs like it's brand new and I'm sure yours does too. I get twitchy from time to time and feel like getting something different, but IMO the 80 series LC is the best series Land Cruiser ever made. Last of the big straight 6, minimal creature comforts, and solid axles...never gonna make em like this again and you have a prim-o example! Keep the LX!

X2. ^^^^

Plus your son will hate you if you sell the lx to buy yourself/wife a modern plastic mall crawler.

Sounds to me like your considering replacing a collectors piece for a dd. is that the direction you want to go? Totally different animals but sounds like you intend different uses too so apples and oranges

That's an easy one. Of course, you're asking this in the 80 forum, ask the same question on the pink panty mall wagon page, and compare answers.

The GX is similar to the Prado. IMO it all comes down to what you want to drive. Either you want a Land Cruiser or you don't. A "crawl feature" doesn't make it off road ready because the rest of the vehicle is not up to the task.

Getting rid of the LX is crazy talk, especially with those miles, and to replace with a GX. Envious of your low mileage rig.

Cool fellas. Thanks for the opinions and advice.

I agree with everyone else. My best friend has a GX and its great. However, he drove my 80 for a few days and said "I'm definitely buying one of these." He is currently looking for one...long story short you'll regret selling your 80 series.

Echo....

You will never again find an 80 with 38k on the clock. Infact most of us are happy to find one in the 100-150k range.

The GX has IFS so its not a true crawler, if I remember correctly the GX is based on the 4runner chassis, sure its capable but its no LC.

The crawl feature is a gimmick and actually completely unhelpful to an experienced off road driver. I've used it before and didn't care for it because it doesn't allow you complete control. Its basically a low speed cruise control that can be adjusted for speed and while that sounds nifty it can be dangerous. It is more meant for soft roading and as I said inexperienced drivers.

Completely different animal. The GX is actually more closely related to a US market 4runner than any real land cruiser. Which is to say it is a bit of a wimp off road compared to a 80-series. It can be made into a good off-road rig, but it will cost more money and the end result will still be significantly short of 80 series territory.

The GX will be nicer to drive, more power, better handling and ride. All the stuff that makes a modern Lexus sell to all the soccer moms. If you only intend to use it for light off-roading, camping trips, etc, then it would be a great all around grocery getter.

Just depends on what you want out of the vehicle. If you get a GX or any other vehicle, find a storage unit for that 80 and sell it in about 20 years. Just see what you get for it :D

I can take the LX off your hands . . .

I own both. Quite different animals. The GX -120 series (LC Prado in most overseas markets) is a magnificent vehicle...but ain't the 80. Solid axles at both fronts are, well, the reference for capability.
If you 80 have these little tiny amount of miles, you have a very, very, rear diamond-perhaps unique.
Keep both mate!
Cheers

GX is based on a prado that everyone wants if they import them, I like them! But will you take a shinny 40k vehicle offroad? With all the fancy gismos trail repair is limited. But yes they are total sleeper off-roader(you will get the WTF are you crazy look on the trail) but geting scratch on it might make your wife mad. The 80s were mall crawlers when they were new.

Oh everyone here will want to buy your 80.

I'll hold on to the LX for you (for the next 13 years) and do ALL maintenance on it. I would be happy to return it to you when your son is ready with his license. I'll drive it on Sundays to the store to get milk for my cat. I will never take it off road or out in the weather. I will keep it garaged all the time.;)

Let me know if you need me to do this for you.

Those of you bashing the GX don't know what the hell you are talking about. The rest of the world gets the GX as the LANDCRUISER Prado.

Say it with me... LANDCRUISER!

All steel body, ladder frame, sound familiar? The only difference is that it is smaller. The v8 in the GX is a beast.

That being said, the only reason to get the GX is if you want something newer. They are both solidly built, great trucks. True lockers will not be had in the GX though, but if you don't use them it really doesn't matter, does it?

*edit.

I apologize. I was under the impression you had the 100 series.

V8 vs straight 6, there is no contest what-so-ever. If you get the GX you'll never look back.

the GX 470's have grown on me and are very similar to the 120 platform (4 runner prado etc) .... the 460, not so much appeal. Fallen too much by the way of rounded plasticky mainstream blah It really does come down to what you want out of the vehicle. Is it a daily or an occasional car. Do you have space to store the 80 for years with limited use? and why limit its use? In thirteen more years it will have what? still less than 100k and going strong. Parts availability and whether we still run gasoline power affordably would be some considerations. I still vote 80 because you have something special there. Anyone with cheddar can have a 460

Those of you bashing the GX don't know what the hell you are talking about. The rest of the world gets the GX as the LANDCRUISER Prado.

Say it with me... LANDCRUISER!

All steel body, ladder frame, sound familiar? The only difference is that it is smaller. The v8 in the GX is a beast.

Doc, there are a lot of differences. IFS is a major difference.

It comes down to what the OP wants. A DD that is posh and will offroad over a flower bed from time to time. Or one of the best expedition Landcruisers ever built that can tackle boulders the size of a geo metro.

Everyone keeps calling it the LC parado and while I agree the chassis is the same why aren't people calling it a polished up 4runner? because the 4runner has the same chassis too. When you think of 4runner you don't think LC.

Truth is the Parado is a light duty suv, thats what they were designed as regardless if it holds the LC name plate or not. The 80 series was designed as a "luxury heavy duty SUV".

Of course, you're right. There are a ton of differences. I had made a mistake in my thinking when I wrote the first post, and thought he was talking about comparing a 150 series GX with a LX 470. Where, the differences are smaller.

That being said. I own both (as can been seen below) an older 80 series and a GX470. The lexus is a completely, and I mean COMPLETELY different beast. The on-road feel (smaller, more nimble, quieter, more refined) and even better fuel economy makes me pick the Lexus every day. You can get the slightly older GX470's with KDSS as well, which is amazing.

I would advise the OP to drive both the 460 and 470 GX's and see what he thinks. For $20k you can pick up nice 470's all day. You will have to search for a while to find one with KDSS, however.

As to Prado vs 4-runner. Just look at the pictures. It's clearly a prado body. The roofline on the GX has been raised 3", but other than that, the outline is the same.

Depends what you want to do. For the Road the GX is your machine.
My DD is an Avalon. It keeps the miles off the Cruiser and lets me upgrade/baseline it at my leisure. Dash and Seats are ripped out now for alarm install, and seat heaters/covers and amp install under drivers seat.
Using the Cruiser as a 3rd vehicle is the way to go if you can afford. I bought mine solely for camping and hauling, Winter, etc....

Reactions: Doc

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom